Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 04:14 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Even when contraception is used completely perfectly, it is only 98% effective.

In the US, there are 55,000,000 women aged 20-44, and if only half of them are sexually active (which is ridiculously low, but I don't want to be accused of twisting statistics), a 2% failure of properly used BC would lead to 550,000 unintended pregnancies EVERY YEAR. That's 550,000 pregnancies in which the woman was doing the responsible thing (using BC correctly) and doing the human nature thing (engaging in sex), but unfortunately a little pesky sperm managed to fertilize an egg.
(Half of 55 mil. = 27.5 mil.
2% of 27.5 mil. = 550,000)

Age stats from:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...y-sex-and-age/

And yes, I understand that BC is not always used perfectly, or even at all. But I don't believe unwanted children should be brought into the world just because their parents skipped/forgot/misused preventative measures.
Excellent post. FACTS!

Old 06-22-2022, 04:16 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Because once born, or really, past a certain stage of fetal development, they can feel it all. They can feel fear. They can feel pain. Once born, they can feel rejection, being freezing-cold, left to go hungry, hit, abandoned. All of it.

A nine-week or younger embryo can not feel those things. It lacks the nerve endings for either the physical or emotional components of any of these feelings. There is a degree of compassion involved in not wanting to see a fully formed person cry, be hungry, in pain, raped, abandoned.

"Many" are not adopted. Half a million of these children are tossed around the foster care system, abused, molested, and passed along down the pipe because now they're "problems."
Darn, wish I could rep this one!

This is why I feel abortion, before a certain age, is okay.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:17 PM
xd4t5gv

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nope, but if they don't want a pregnancy to occur then they must protect themselves from it.
First, your reply should not be 'nope' since my reply represented the person who I was referring too accurately. Second, what does 'must' mean? Are you saying there needs to be consequences, legally, for those who get pregnant if they don't use protection.

No doubt it would ideal and wise for them to do so but having legal consequences - nah!

Old 06-22-2022, 04:20 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathro View Post
So sex should only be when a man and woman want children that they are willing to raise together and this should be legalized?
Can you imagine what men would do if their wives only allowed sex when they wanted to make a baby? Maybe for 2 weeks for each of the 2 kids they could afford to raise.

Men need to think ahead before they make extreme laws for women.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:20 PM

60 posts, read 21,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
With a decision coming from the scotus soon, I am left with this question, why have an abortion?
Why not just don't get pregnant in the first place.
Contraceptives are inexpensive.
People who don't use them and wind up wanting to end a pregnancy should give contraceptives a second look.
No matter how one looks at it, abortion is the taking of a life.
So, a word to the wise, DON'T GET PREGNANT IN THE FIRST PLACE, then you don't need to have an abortion.
It is as simple as that.

Why is something so simple, such a challenge for some people?

Old 06-22-2022, 04:21 PM

25,746 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathro View Post
So where does your line stop with the extinguishing of life among certain circumstances:

Rape?
Capitol Crimes?
End of Life?
Health of the Mother?
Financial/Social means to care?
The simple right to choose?
X, Y, Z?
Free will, as opposed to subjugation.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:24 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What does whether a man has a job or not have to do with a woman protecting herself from a pregnancy unless she plans on keeping the baby? This topic is about abortion not that. Yes, the woman is the one who's body gets pregnant so she should be the one using birth control to prevent it and as a double protection insist that the man use his own to. If he refuses then she has the option of refusing to have sex with him.

Body permanently changed? Childbirth is a natural process for a woman. Again, if she doesn't want morning sickness, exhaustion, cramping or whatever other unpleasantries she should protect herself from a pregnancy. How hard is that? The solution is right before your eyes! Responsible birth control measures!

"How hard is that?"

Harder for some than for others. Harder for the poor. Harder for those who have been abused in their own households and know no different. You sound like you have had an easy life.

And again you take the man out of the equation. If you are taking the man *out of the equation* then it is still *the woman's decision.*

It's adorable that you think childbirth doesn't change a woman, LOL. I was the hippiest, granola-est, working-out-est mom ever. I tore the cartiliege in my pelvis giving birth, couldn't walk for a month, the seam healed slightly off-center because the only solution was to wear a binder (and sleep sitting up for 8 weeks, nursing a baby, then on week 8, day 1 I went back to work using a cane), still have no feeling in one foot...which sticks out sideways permanently. That was unusual, granted. But ask ten women who have had children and see how many come back telling you about a permanent back issue or other changes. You'll be surprised at the answers (if you bother to ask). Pregnancy does things to a woman's body that would surprise you, depending upon the woman.

Your lack of knowledge of the female anatomy only underscores that it really shouldn't be some stranger's business what a woman does with her own body.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:24 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Well don’t live in Luisiana or some dumb azz Governor’s state. They don’t give a rat’s arse. Disgusting old men
Just read about the case where rapist daddy got partial custody
I know. Looks like we're headed back to the dark ages.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:26 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Can you imagine what men would do if their wives only allowed sex when they wanted to make a baby? Maybe for 2 weeks for each of the 2 kids they could afford to raise.

Men need to think ahead before they make extreme laws for women.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:27 PM
xd4t5gv

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Can that be true when we decide to kill another who presents an inconvenience in our lives? ...à la, "It's none of your business! I have the right to kill anyone I want to make my life easier, dammit!"
Notice that you took your very general principle and applied it to everyone who present an inconvenience in our lives.
We are talking about a certain set of circumstances.

Again, why shouldn't a woman be able to abort a life that she does not want without fear of your particular moral standard bearing down on her via the law? Surely under certain circumstances that should be her right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies