Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2022, 07:12 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
China loses face once again.

I'm convinced we could put a military base there and they wouldn't do anything.
You showed them, sending that 82 year old Speaker to Taiwan.

Btw the goal of US foreign policy is to reduce tensions , not increase tensions, and China will be looking at it's longer term options.

The Pelosi visit has seen Russia side with China, and there is even the possibility of China supplying weapons to Russia in relation to Ukraine.

Meanwhile Chinese forces have now surrounded Taiwan, and there may be further aggression and possible implications for Taiwan.

As for US Foreign Policy it usually comes back to haunt the US or have you forgotten the Viet Kong, ISIS and the Taliban.

As for putting a military base off on Taiwan, I suggest that would lead to war and the possible end of the world.

Also don't forget that Chinese history goes back to 1250 BC and even beyond, and they have seen Empires come and go, and they are not stupid, and they will being looking at their options, as this is the country of Sun Tzu and 'The Art of War'.

Pelosi's ego and narcissism has not done Taiwan, the US or the World any favours at all, and has just lead to increased tension and China re-examining it's relations and increasing it's defence budget.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-03-2022 at 08:06 AM..

Old 08-03-2022, 07:13 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Remember who's who... Pelosi, Biden, China - all on the same team.

This is probably a set up to do the Asian version of Ukraine/Russia with Taiwan/China. It may not be exactly the same, but I am expecting aggressive activity towards Taiwan.

Biden leaked the trip details... China makes threats... Pelosi goes anyway... now China has a reason to act against Taiwan. In the end, China gets what they want. All of the actors have played their roles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
next step is for the united states to send billions to Taiwan in aid for China to use through unchecked funneling
You're ahead of me.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:02 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
China has surrounded Taiwan , poor Nancy might be stuck there
She has already left Tiawan.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:06 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
It is strange. It's almost as thought the Chinese take Pelosi seriously.
I know, right? They are super sensitive over Tiawan. But I couldn't see the world blowing up over Pelosi visit there either.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I know, right? They are super sensitive over Tiawan. But I couldn't see the world blowing up over Pelosi visit there either.
Japan owned Taiwan from 1895 to 1945, and during historic conflicts inclusing WW2 has been of strategic importance.

China is estimated to have endured the second-highest number of total casualties in WWII. As many as 20 million people died in China, including up to 3.75 million military deaths and 18.19 million civilian deaths. By contrast total US losses in WW2 were 405,399.

Japanese invasion of Taiwan (1895) - Wikipedia

Second Sino-Japanese War - Wikipedia

Taiwan under Japanese rule - Wikipedia

I can't say I blame the Chinese for being a bit touchy when it comes to Taiwan, given it's history, and the US itself has always been a bit touchy about places such as Cuba or the Arctic region, or any other area near the US.

Furthermore China has never really interfered in North America, in the same way the US has interfered in South East Asia and China sees Taiwan as important to it's own home defence and as home turk along with the surrounding sea.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-03-2022 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-03-2022, 08:13 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Japan owned Taiwan from 1895 to 1945, and during WW2 it was pivotal to the Japanese invasion of China.

Japanese invasion of Taiwan (1895) - Wikipedia
You mean japan today is stupid enough to mess with China over Taiwan? Well I don't think so.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You mean japan today is stupid enough to mess with China over Taiwan? Well I don't think so.
I think you should re-read what I added to my previous post.

As for human rights violation some of the acts carried out by the Japanese in China such as those carried out by Unit 731, are beyond moral comprehension.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I think you should re-read what I added to my previous post.
Well time has changed, situation has changed.

It's japan who does not want to to be dragged into the mess, because japan knows japan must side with the United states no matter what.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well time has changed, situation has changed.

It's japan who does not want to to be dragged into the mess, because japan knows japan must side with the United states no matter what.
I think the US might have a different view if the boot was on the other foot, and this was Cuba or some other area close to it.

The US itself it also becoming increasingly touchy and wary about the Arctic region, and other countries are quick to point out that when it comes to human rights and international laws, the US is hardly a shining example.

Whilst I don't support the Chinese claim over Taiwan, I can at least understand it, and for US politicians to go across the world Grandstanding is ridiculous, especially given recent Post WW2 US history.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Whilst I don't support the Chinese claim over Taiwan, I can at least understand it, and for US politicians to go across the world Grandstanding is ridiculous, especially given recent Post WW2 US history.
I dont think pelosie made a right choice, we are on the same page.

This said, when taiwan hasn't done anything wrong, which means taiwan has not declared independence I don't think China should do anything to punish taiwan. Doing so only shows China is a bully. Nothing more.

With this said, what has done is done. Calling her stupid or ridiculous does not change anything now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies