Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 09:37 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,196,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
…. I wish I could find a setup like I have here in a medium sized city in the US, but have my doubts. I am stunned by the fast rise in rental prices and real estate costs in the US over the past few years.
Just get an app like realtor, etc and look for rentals in US in your price range on the map if you are not tied to a particular place. Plenty of rentals available in similar price range - as you don’t need to work?

Smaller apartments in a job-challenging areas are inexpensive even in great locations
You could even buy smaller property if you want with the similar mortgage

You might need to learn how to weed out some scams in your price range.

Do you still have to pay for Medicare in the US while you are in Germany? If so, eliminating your private insurance payment may help you up your rental budget

Nothing is like home.

Last edited by L00k4ward; 07-24-2022 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 09:39 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
For me this is antithesis of what the Founding Fathers thought for this country.
And there is the irony. This demand we all be conservatives or get out is totally against everything the Founding Fathers intended.
IIRC, "all men" are created equal (before the law - none higher) with Creator endowed rights (life, liberty, absolute ownership, etc, etc) that governments were instituted to secure. . . and nothing more without consent of the governed. (1776)

NO European country has that basic foundation.
BECAUSE it makes the people sovereign over the servant government.

IN all other nations, the government is sovereign over the subject citizens.
Even the vaunted French Revolution (1789) didn't recognize that the individual had rights that weren't subject to a democratic majority nor a monarch.

The question is : are Creator endowed rights a "conservative" ideology or a "liberal" ideology?
I may be mistaken, but neither the LEFT wing nor the RIGHT wing seem to support it.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:45 AM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post

Yes it looks like it is for the first time maybe ever in recent history , mathematically true that you can save more money not living in America than you can living in America …. Because thousands and thousands a month for rent gas and medical and student loans is hitting us harder than European taxes are hitting Europeans

Lots of places in America where rent is still cheap. And lots of available housing. And if you can work remotely you are great shape. Even cities that will pay you to move there.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:47 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I am stunned by the fast rise in rental prices and real estate costs in the US over the past few years.
That is an artifact of the collapsing value of the "dollar bill" (worthless federal reserve note), and a bellwether of the coming eCONomic reset.
IN the USA, where the national debt is in excess of 30 trillion dollars (not dollar bills), the debt service (interest) is over 400 billion per annum (more than what was spent in the four years of WW2)... and RISING. That means higher tax bills where the increase doesn't go to fund services or entitlements, but pay off the creditors.
: : : :
Once the "crunch" hits, I suspect that all those expatriate pensions will cease for Americans in Europe. In that scenario, I wouldn't wish to be stuck in Mother Europa.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:40 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,381,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
: : : :
Once the "crunch" hits, I suspect that all those expatriate pensions will cease for Americans in Europe. In that scenario, I wouldn't wish to be stuck in Mother Europa.
Many like me have a private mailing box address in the USA that is used as my account address for financial institutions and for my pension, and for social security & IRS tax purposes. No institution in the US knows that my present place of residence happens to be outside of the USA. I am not "stuck" here, I simply find it a good experience for a few years of my retirement while I am healthy, active and mobile. I can return to the US anytime I choose.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:42 AM

3,113 posts, read 939,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Lots of places in America where rent is still cheap. And lots of available housing. And if you can work remotely you are great shape. Even cities that will pay you to move there.
There are small towns in Europe dirt cheap too - cheap for property.

However, they're dirt cheap because they offer nothing to either a young professional or a family or even a retired person.

No offense, but for example I couldn't live in Oklahoma. Flat, no sea, boring suburbia, chain stores, bad weather. I mean I could live there, but I wouldn't want to.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:48 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,494,303 times
I am planning a two month stay. I plan to observe and experience the advantages and disadvantages of a walkable urban community, compared to my car centric suburb. I will be in the hot part of Europe in summer, so what they do for hot weather will be useful knowledge for climate change. If my return flight is cancelled, the inflation will hurt, but I won't freeze to death.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:49 AM

3,113 posts, read 939,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I am planning a two month stay. I plan to observe and experience the advantages and disadvantages of a walkable urban community, compared to my car centric suburb. I will be in the hot part of Europe in summer, so what they do for hot weather will be useful knowledge for climate change. If my return flight is cancelled, the inflation will hurt, but I won't freeze to death.
There is no "hot" part of Europe. Even in the mediterranean, it's cold come wintertime. The islands are especially windy and rainy.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:04 AM

30,069 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
Where the dollar has reached 1-1 parity with the Euro for the first time in the 21st century. And while our gas is at $5 a gallon , Germany is offering monthly unlimited travel by euro-rail for 9 euros a month that’s now $9 bucks a month to travel all over a country unlimited travel

We used to say live in America because take home pay goes way farther , there’s no taxes to pay for healthcare and parental leave and massive social services, BUT

With the doubling and tripling of monthly rents, that more than equates what is like an average Joe getting hit with an encroaching cost of living that leaves NOTHING to be saved . And doing a cost-benefit analysis on moving to Hamburg, Germany or Barcelona, Spain or somewhere in Prague or a villa in Montenegro and working remote vpn …. And having those costs of living

Yes it looks like it is for the first time maybe ever in recent history , mathematically true that you can save more money not living in America than you can living in America …. Because thousands and thousands a month for rent gas and medical and student loans is hitting us harder than European taxes are hitting Europeans
Great idea!

Let's ship all the liberals to Europe!

Old 07-24-2022, 11:11 AM

908 posts, read 442,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Great idea!

Let's ship all the liberals to Europe!

The thing is that many American " liberals " ( quotation marks because I prefer the term progressives ) would very much find themselves having a rude awakening were they to be shipped to certain countries located on the Old Continent .

After all if so many of them are already in uproar regarding the overturning of Roe v. Wade , then just imagine how they would react to having to live in ( f.ex ) Poland , where I'd wager that abortion laws have long been stricter than in virtually all American states .

Really the idea of Europe being uniformly " liberal " in the American sense of the term is just another one of those giant misconceptions , though I must digress since the focus of this thread revolves around standard of living as opposed to politics as such .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies