Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 06:25 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,239,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am all for states rights. And for supporting your constituents. Personally if it was me and I felt like him I would have abstained from voting on the measure. That is how I would show support for my family not look like a hypocrite. His one vote was not going to make any difference in the house. And his district is +40% GOP
This is completely gutless.
That's not showing support at all.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:31 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,239,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
not as an elected official.

Gosh, I sure hope if you think this then you didn't criticize Trump for caring about Trump, or Don Jr, or Ivanka's well-being.

Now, Pelosi seems to care more about Paul and her bank account than her constituents
wake up. NONE of these politicians care about their constituents.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:30 PM

1,743 posts, read 960,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It matters what his constituents think. He represents them, not himself.
There’s such a thing as taking a principled stand despite what your constituents might think. He obviously took a pass on integrity.

A large majority of Americans now approve of same sex marriage. Even a majority of Republicans now approve. Republican politicians like him make the Republicans look like the stupid party. They have a golden opportunity to take a majority in both houses of Congress, and they are working overtime to blow it. They need the independent vote, especially in the suburbs. This isn’t the way to win it.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
What a hypocrite. I feel bad for his son with such a two faced father.

GOP lawmaker opposed same-sex marriage, then went to gay son’s wedding

Rep. Glenn Thompson (R-Pa.) last week voted against federal legislation that would require states to recognize same-sex marriages. Three days later, the congressman attended his son’s same-sex wedding.

“Congressman and Mrs. Thompson were thrilled to attend and celebrate their son’s marriage on Friday night as he began this new chapter in his life. The Thompsons are very happy to welcome their new son-in-law into their family,” Thompson’s press secretary, Maddison Stone, told The Washington Post late Monday in an email.
I understand the MSNBC like to spin this , but the spin is not accurate

just because you vote no on a bill that FEDERALLY FORCES the STATES to recognize same-sex marriages (a bill that very well could be ruled unconstitutional) does not mean you are AGAINST same sex marriages

I have no problem with same-sex marriages (I know that we can not control the heart, and who we are attracted to/fall in love with) ...but to FEDERALLY FORCE a/all states to recognize those unions, violates the 10th amendment

why are liberals such hypocrites/power hungry big government types

Old 07-27-2022, 08:04 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I understand the MSNBC like to spin this , but the spin is not accurate

just because you vote no on a bill that FEDERALLY FORCES the STATES to recognize same-sex marriages (a bill that very well could be ruled unconstitutional) does not mean you are AGAINST same sex marriages

I have no problem with same-sex marriages (I know that we can not control the heart, and who we are attracted to/fall in love with) ...but to FEDERALLY FORCE a/all states to recognize those unions, violates the 10th amendment

why are liberals such hypocrites/power hungry big government types
Let your yes be yes and your no be no. Simple.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:00 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Loving your kids even if they do things that you disagree with makes people hypocrites??

Is that really how the liberal mind works?
Exactly! My kids have done plenty of thing I don't agree with, I think unwise, unworkable long term and all sorts of things...but I love them, I try my best to support them, while still retaining, and speaking my honest thoughts/opinions when the subject comes up.

So loving your kids, supporting them, even when you feel them making bad decisions makes a parent a hypocrite? Ok then....

I guess the only options to avoid being a hypocrite and retain your love/support relationship with your kids is to never personally disagree with their choices, or disagree and stop loving/supporting them. Got it!

I have personal experience with this. You have to walk a fine line with adult kids many times. It's seldom a black and white situation, unless you don't care about your relationship with them.

Wonder if the OP has kids? If so, they are either literally perfect in all ways, or the OP is Bendy Wendy.

Old 07-28-2022, 12:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
wake up. NONE of these politicians care about their constituents.
Why should they care other than for their biggest donors? Incumbents know they will get voted back in every time. Plenty of voters see no need to wake up.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:39 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Well as a conservative who will vote Republicans I have to say this is dumb.

Who cares about gay marriage now? What seems to be the big deal ?

Close to 50 percent of all marriages fail anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies