Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 09:37 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Good points. Polygamy is illegal in all 50 states. But if some guy wants to be married to two women of legal age is that the governments business to say they cannot?
if Alabama were to not agree with Utah's polygamy - to not let a UT "threesome" move to AL and be conferred the same rights they had in UT - then why should Alabama have to give them UT rights?

The illegals is one reason I asked this. The bill doesn't say citizen (or even adult/age, FWIW) - it merely says Individual.

If NY is going to give illegals the right to vote in local elections...what is to keep the NY Legislature from giving them the right to marry and thus obtain whatever rights and privileges are available to married people in NY?

And we know that CA is pretty radically - to most other stats at least - conferring as many "benefits" on illegals as they can get away with.

Why wouldn't any of the - IMO radical - states that actually issue illegal aliens driver's licenses not also issue them marriage licenses?

And the states that DON'T do something as stupid as welcome a lawbreaker into a government office and NOT arrest them but instead give them a privilege ... well, they have to recognize and approve of that law-breaking.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:43 AM

8,895 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Of course, had he not attended the left would have been up in arms about that.

"How callous, he couldn't even be there for his own son!"

Slow news day, huh?

Old 07-26-2022, 09:48 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
What a hypocrite. I feel bad for his son with such a two faced father.

GOP lawmaker opposed same-sex marriage, then went to gay son’s wedding

Rep. Glenn Thompson (R-Pa.) last week voted against federal legislation that would require states to recognize same-sex marriages. Three days later, the congressman attended his son’s same-sex wedding.

“Congressman and Mrs. Thompson were thrilled to attend and celebrate their son’s marriage on Friday night as he began this new chapter in his life. The Thompsons are very happy to welcome their new son-in-law into their family,” Thompson’s press secretary, Maddison Stone, told The Washington Post late Monday in an email.
Obviously, then, gay marriage was already legal.
So why was there a "respect for marriage act" in the US legislature?...... There shouldn't have been.

But it sure makes a good anti-GOP headline, doesn't it?

Old 07-26-2022, 09:51 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It matters what his constituents think. He represents them, not himself.
I'm thankful I no longer live in his district, and that he no longer represents me in Congress.

The guy is a jerk in many other ways; this is just the icing on the cake.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:58 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
i have disagreed with the politics and moral decisions of many of our family members over the years. do our different ways of living our lives mean we don't love each other? of course not!

it is a rubbish, perhaps even cruel, take that family members must be aligned on all values and personal choices in order to love and support each other.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:12 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
if Alabama were to not agree with Utah's polygamy - to not let a UT "threesome" move to AL and be conferred the same rights they had in UT - then why should Alabama have to give them UT rights?
What rights? As it stands many states have common law marriages. Two people cohabitate for a certain amount of time and they are considered married under the law.

Quote:
The illegals is one reason I asked this. The bill doesn't say citizen (or even adult/age, FWIW) - it merely says Individual.

If NY is going to give illegals the right to vote in local elections...what is to keep the NY Legislature from giving them the right to marry and thus obtain whatever rights and privileges are available to married people in NY?
I am pretty sure illegals can get married in all 50 states now. People can come from a foreign county and get married here. Americans get married in foreign countries all the time. I don't believe one's legal status has any baring on getting a marriage license. Feel free to show me different.

Quote:
And we know that CA is pretty radically - to most other stats at least - conferring as many "benefits" on illegals as they can get away with.

Why wouldn't any of the - IMO radical - states that actually issue illegal aliens driver's licenses not also issue them marriage licenses?

And the states that DON'T do something as stupid as welcome a lawbreaker into a government office and NOT arrest them but inste
ad give them a privilege ... well, they have to recognize and approve of that law-breaking.
I am sure now people here illegally get married every day in California and elsewhere. I am not sure where you are getting that is not the case now.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:15 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
can't find a video, but here's the Official transcript (scroll past the Bill for the debate). And I'm reminded that of the 60 minutes of debate, half was controlled by Dems.

https://www.congress.gov/congression...rticle/H6719-2

Only 3 R's spoke - Jordan, Johnson from Louisiana (a constitutional lawyer) and Chip Roy (a member of Judiciary).

So, Mr Thompson has not given his position on the matter in the debate.

Once you get past the bombast from the R's over "this is just because the Dems can't discuss their record", the argument is essentially - "this was never debated, and it's not needed. The SCOTUS ruling on Dobbs was clear that it was just about abortion. Thomas' concurrence doesn't say overturn them, it says reconsider them and there may be other Constitutional reasons to uphold them."

Old 07-26-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Obviously, then, gay marriage was already legal.
So why was there a "respect for marriage act" in the US legislature?
...... There shouldn't have been.

But it sure makes a good anti-GOP headline, doesn't it?
Because there has been chatter that the SCOTUS will overturn that law using the same states rights argument.

Actually if you read my link to reason.com it might actually benefit the GOP. Right now one big fear of the left is gay marriage being overturned. Justice Thomas made a comment to that effect. Taking that off the table with this act would relax some swing voters in November.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
can't find a video, but here's the Official transcript (scroll past the Bill for the debate). And I'm reminded that of the 60 minutes of debate, half was controlled by Dems.

https://www.congress.gov/congression...rticle/H6719-2

Only 3 R's spoke - Jordan, Johnson from Louisiana (a constitutional lawyer) and Chip Roy (a member of Judiciary).

So, Mr Thompson has not given his position on the matter in the debate.

Once you get past the bombast from the R's over "this is just because the Dems can't discuss their record", the argument is essentially - "this was never debated, and it's not needed. The SCOTUS ruling on Dobbs was clear that it was just about abortion. Thomas' concurrence doesn't say overturn them, it says reconsider them and there may be other Constitutional reasons to uphold them."

With my own time constraints I read what Jordan said. He just thinks the bill is unnecessary and poltical. Justice Thomas spooked the left with his comments. No he did not call for them to be overturned but wanted to consider that possibility. And if the same standard is used same sex marriage would go down like R v W. That is why this bill came up now. If the dems lose control of the house this bill won't have a chance in the future. And sure its political theater also.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:43 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,210 times
so He voted against the legislation that would REQUIRE STATES to recognize same sex marriage SO WHAT. First it's once again States rights VS Federal. Let the State make the decision. Second regardless of your child's orientation and your personal beliefs a decent person will still love that child and want to be there for such a special part of their life. Thats part of being a caring parent.

Not really hypocritical, hypocritical is screaming climate change and flying in a private jet and living in a 10000 sq foot mansion. I'ts telling the masses tosocial distance and wear masks and then going to parties while not masking up. It's you cant' have a gun to protect yourself but I have armed security....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies