Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 12:05 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
and then at the same time...people gravitate to their own.....because people do better among their own
EXACTLY.

The only reason such "diverse" nations such as Singapore, Malaysia and the US are stable with few major race riots is due to having decent economies.

If that ever changes (which might be soon btw), well just look to South Africa for what awaits...

Old 08-01-2022, 12:08 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What exactly do you mean by

Accepted?

I have seen an asian guy being called ch**k by a Hispanic guy in an asian neighborhood.

Look, you cannot expect a perfect environment or neighborhood. All you have to worry about is if the neighborhood is safe. Safe means low crime. As long as everyone is able to coexist, who cares what others really think about you.

I live in a beach neighborhood where the average housing price is 2 million, there are still crimes here and there. People still occasionally use racial slurs. But nothing changed the fact that this is still a safe neighborhood.

My fiance is also living in a super nice neighborhood. It's ranked 7th safestest city in the United States. However, there were two violent crimes in the past 10 years. Two Muslims killed their wives using knives.

You are a law abiding middle class to upper middle class black man, I can't see why you won't be accepted in any decent neighborhoods in the United States. Keyword: decent.
I'm going to be honest. My jaw dropped at that first question. Acceptance means moving to an area, and not having to deal with a bunch of hostility. I am looking at this from how I grew up. I shouldn't have to worry about what people think of me.

My brother and me had a talk about some of the stuff we dealt with growing up (I'm about 6 years older than him). We lived in a middle class neighborhood. My brother started telling about some of the crap he dealt with, stuff I never heard of. From the way his baseball coach treated him (and even other players) to some interactions with the police (as well as my father's experience with getting profiled by the police). Let's just say it didn't leave a good impact.

No, I don't expect perfect. However, I do consider some of the stuff my family went though. I think about what I went through. I can't forget it.

Now, I can buy a house anywhere if I please. Many places, people can co-exist. Being middle class, this should mean my options are better. I grew up in a neighborhood that wasn't high crime. At the same time, plenty of places nearby with some problems.

Last edited by green_mariner; 08-01-2022 at 12:21 PM..

Old 08-01-2022, 12:08 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Again, much ado about nuthin'.

Most of the so-called "people of colour" actually despise being coloured & literally worship nordicism even more than the neo-nazis do (a lot of the things that come out their mouths would make Adolph jaws drop).

Old 08-01-2022, 12:09 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well I find it interesting that a number of Black posters ask for a "diverse" neighborhood, but what they want is one with a high % of Blacks. They dismiss ones that are 30% white, 30% Hispanic, 20% Asian and 20% Black, someplace like Alief in Houston or Buford Highway in Atlanta. Nothing wrong with that, as you describe, but usually when people want "diverse," it means they want a lot of people like them.
Which Black Posters did you ask?
I didn't see anyone state what you wrote

Old 08-01-2022, 12:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Diversity should never be a goal, it's simply a byproduct. It has no real meaning but people insist upon it anyway. It's a buzzword that conveys all sorts of feelings, like all good buzzwords do, and has been warped to the point where it's used as a weapon to bludgeon people. I hate the word "diversity" and think it's right up there with the word "equity" when it comes to complete and utter nonsense. The people who love those words are usually the ones who don't even understand what they mean but it sure does make them feel smart so they constantly say them.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:53 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Diversity should never be a goal, it's simply a byproduct. It has no real meaning but people insist upon it anyway. It's a buzzword that conveys all sorts of feelings, like all good buzzwords do, and has been warped to the point where it's used as a weapon to bludgeon people. I hate the word "diversity" and think it's right up there with the word "equity" when it comes to complete and utter nonsense. The people who love those words are usually the ones who don't even understand what they mean but it sure does make them feel smart so they constantly say them.
The people preaching about "diversity" don't often practice it.

How many of these folks are living in all-white neighborhoods or sending their kids to "good" (predominately white) schools?

Old 08-01-2022, 01:12 PM

10,461 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, all I can say is that "stick to your own kind" has not worked for me in my life. I just tried to go wherever I was accepted.
I think your main problem is trying to get some kind of approval from other people.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:23 PM

10,461 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is true. When I was looking for a place to settle down during my production years, the thought of the diversity of the people never entered my mind. I was looking for a farming community or horse related community so I can be around people who also love horses and the great outdoors. Now as I am getting older, I realize I am getting tired of this heat in FL so Am looking to just sell everything and move up to a mountain area. I like the small town atmosphere so have my sights on those, but still plan on keeping the horses.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:34 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
As a gay man, I will answer this way...If I was looking to move again somewhere, I would ask the same thing, what area is "gay friendly", meaning, a place that I can actually meet someone to date...or in my case, since I am already w/ someone, openly go out together w/ my bf/husband and not be looked down upon, talked about, or outright be treated rudely...I've seen that done plenty of times.

The guy I'm currently dating is Asian (Korean American)...the reason he would ask about an Asian community if we were to move somewhere is because he'd want to know where he might find an actual Asian Supermarket that carries some of the ethnic cuisine that a typical standard supermarket doesn't carry...he could care less about hanging out w/ other "Asians" as he is very comfortable hanging w/ anyone...but he does have certain things he likes that are hard to find outside of Asian markets.
Palm Springs, CA is very gay friendly and I'm sure that there are many other places to.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:16 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm going to be honest. My jaw dropped at that first question. Acceptance means moving to an area, and not having to deal with a bunch of hostility. I am looking at this from how I grew up. I shouldn't have to worry about what people think of me.

My brother and me had a talk about some of the stuff we dealt with growing up (I'm about 6 years older than him). We lived in a middle class neighborhood. My brother started telling about some of the crap he dealt with, stuff I never heard of. From the way his baseball coach treated him (and even other players) to some interactions with the police (as well as my father's experience with getting profiled by the police). Let's just say it didn't leave a good impact.

No, I don't expect perfect. However, I do consider some of the stuff my family went though. I think about what I went through. I can't forget it.

Now, I can buy a house anywhere if I please. Many places, people can co-exist. Being middle class, this should mean my options are better. I grew up in a neighborhood that wasn't high crime. At the same time, plenty of places nearby with some problems.
You are one poster I really like on city data, so whatever you need or want, I hope you get it.

I will move out of california for sure. Perhaps i will move to new york. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies