Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 11:11 AM

13,656 posts, read 4,967,504 times

Advertisements

Researchers are finding more and more about how the gut microbiome affects your health. Would you believe that Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases have recently been linked to the microbiome?

Most people think of the microbiome as a colony of bacteria parasites, or symbiotes at best. But since there are more bacterial cells in your body than human cells, it's fair to ask which is the parasite and which is the host.

Fecal transplant is not that uncommon. But usually it is done by an enema or colonoscope, not by eating poop.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:11 AM

61,915 posts, read 87,471,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
If you think the new rage in eating insects is a bit crazy and unappetizing, you ain’t seen nothing yet. Is this science? Or is it insanity?

Want to lose some weight? Should you eat some poop..actually someone else's poop? That's what researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) will be testing in a clinical trial this year when they take fecal samples from lean people and give them in 1-2 gram capsules to obese individuals.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...h=1a141c257766

Yum, yum. I wonder how long the line is for volunteers for this clinical trial?

For those who don’t believe the world has gone stark raving mad, just read one news article per day. If it takes you more than a week to reach that conclusion, seek professional help, if you can find a mental health professional that isn’t crazy too.
Ugh... Taking example of dogs? They eat own and other dogs poop and think it's tasty...

According to the Illinois Poison Center, eating poop is “minimally toxic.” However, poop naturally contains the bacteria commonly found in the intestines. While these bacteria don't harm you when they're in your intestines, they're not meant to be ingested in your mouth.

It sounds gross, but apparently, the gist is that while urine is sterile and poop isn’t, both are perfectly safe to eat, because all the bacteria in poop is 100% yours.
Those are the same bacteria that live in your gut and play many healthy roles in your body. So coprophagy is not necessarily unhealthy unless the poop originates from an unhealthy individual.
https://www.foodbeast.com/news/today...your-own-poop/

BTW:
Those trials are going on for years already.
https://www.nutritionalphysicalthera...blog/guthealth

Last edited by elnina; 08-02-2022 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-02-2022, 11:12 AM

6,004 posts, read 2,255,085 times
This is not new and we are discovering that quite a number of Obese people can follow a strict low-calorie diet and lose little to no weight which is counter to the Mantra of Counting Calories.

If a an Obese person is put on a 1500-calorie diet and loses 1-2 pounds over 6 months or loses water weight for 2 weeks then plateus then there is a huge piece of the puzzle that we are missing related to weight gain AND loss. Calories play a role but there seems to be something much bigger that is regulating weight loss/gain in humans.

And don't forget weight gain because we have people that are chronically underweight and do not gain weight from eating more calories unless they completely stuff themselves to the point of discomfort.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...are-all-wrong/

Last edited by Daryl_G; 08-02-2022 at 11:27 AM..

Old 08-02-2022, 11:18 AM

52,786 posts, read 34,663,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This is not new at all. They've known for a long time the importance of the bacteria in our gut and how it impacts our health, well being and yes, even our figure. I could have sworn they already did a study like this awhile back.
yep. i think i'll wait for them to figure out which ones are good and then get them from some other method not involving eating poop, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Researchers are finding more and more about how the gut microbiome affects your health. Would you believe that Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases have recently been linked to the microbiome?

Most people think of the microbiome as a colony of bacteria parasites, or symbiotes at best. But since there are more bacterial cells in your body than human cells, it's fair to ask which is the parasite and which is the host.

Fecal transplant is not that uncommon. But usually it is done by an enema or colonoscope, not by eating poop.
kinda makes you wonder how many systems are thrown out of whack when you go on a weeklong course of potent antibiotics due to a cat bite, like i just did.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:22 AM

29,609 posts, read 14,742,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

Yes, there is a big difference between this in a clinical setting and practicing coprophilia in a fetish setting.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:26 AM

25,456 posts, read 9,847,745 times
Fecal matter transplants are used to help people with a variety of issues, especially gut issues. This isn't a new thing. There are also pills that can be taken orally. Many people have had good results. There are several companies out there that screen donors and provide the fecal matter to the general public. Many transplants are done via colonoscopy.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:30 AM

15,119 posts, read 8,667,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This is not new at all. They've known for a long time the importance of the bacteria in our gut and how it impacts our health, well being and yes, even our figure. I could have sworn they already did a study like this awhile back.

Also, there is a medical condition where people have to eat poo from other people who have the right balance of healthy/beneficial bacteria in their gut. The science is rather settled if you ask me, but after reading about this, perhaps your stomach no longer feels settled...

After working with the elderly for many years in a home care setting, poo no longer bothers me. It's also considered minimally toxic. In nature, there's a whole lot of stuff that is a lot less gross that is actually a whole lot worse for you.
Sorry Andy, you missed out on the grand prize, and I don’t have anymore no-flush toilets to award, even though you deserve one. My bad. I grossly miscalculated.

But, if memory serves, I believe science has long discovered the beneficial role gut microorganisms play in human health, which is why they have offered a multitude of poop-free probiotic products in various forms and concentrations for quite a number of years. They even add them to dairy products, though the therapeutic levels are questionable.

I hear kombucha and kefir are excellent sources too, but I suppose you can’t get much more “organic” than good ole fresh poop, harvested at the source.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:36 AM

39,315 posts, read 27,692,603 times
Quote:

I hear kombucha and kefir are excellent sources too, but I suppose you can’t get much more “organic” than good ole fresh poop, harvested at the source.
Kombucha is part of my diet.

This said, it's really not that complicated. Just excise more and eat less. None of these pills really works long term.

I am 5'7" and 118lb I eat everything I want and have never counted calories or taken pills.

Portion control plus a healthy life style. Everyone can do it

Many organic farmers won't even use human poops when they make their compost. Yikes

Old 08-02-2022, 11:41 AM

27,709 posts, read 16,201,935 times
Biden is Americas poop pill

Old 08-02-2022, 11:42 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,007,969 times
Quote:
Hahaha …. thanks. You exceeded my expectations by a mile. I had a bet with myself (those are always the best kind of bets, because you really can’t lose) … but I wondered just how long it would take for someone to chime in supporting the benefits of eating poop. I guessed it would happen by page two. But you are a first pager, post #3 ! Congratulations. You win the grand prize …. A brand new, state of the art toilet, with a built in “no-flush” feature, so you never have to worry about your microbiome.

But you’re wrong about us here in Texas … we know a thing or two about poop. That’s why you see so many of us wearing cowboy boots.
Yes, it's essentially a probiotic. I don't see what's funny, other than "poopy is gross". It's a real treatment, and an FMT likely saved my friend's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies