Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 12:31 PM

25,451 posts, read 9,813,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
You'd be grateful for this if you were experiencing a C-Difficile infection after a colorectal cancer surgery with complications and it was your best chance for survival.

It's not as if doctors are just grabbing turds and shoving them into a patient's mouth. There's a lot of information to be found on this subject if you care to find it. It's pretty fascinating, actually, how helpful this mode of treatment can be for people whose gut biomes are wrecked.
Exactly. I think some people have the wrong idea.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:40 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Yes, it's essentially a probiotic. I don't see what's funny, other than "poopy is gross". It's a real treatment, and an FMT likely saved my friend's life.
No, it’s essentially poop. Human waste. And a person suffering from a lack of certain bacteria in their intestinal tract won’t find it in their excrement either, because they’ve obviously experienced an event that killed off those bacteria. So, you’d have to eat someone else’s poop to attain those bacteria.

As for FMT, the therapy involves injecting a mixture containing the fecal bacteria and saline into a person’s intestines, which thoughtfully bypasses the “digestive system”, so I’m not seeing the correlation. At the same time, however, that doesn’t mean I don’t question the practice, and given the long and storied history of modern medicine’s questionable practices, you’d be wise to do so as well.

You do realize that it really wasn’t that long ago when there were traveling doctors performing lobotomies, with what amounts to the technique of jamming ice picks up through the nasal passage, into the front of the brain, and swirling it around a bit to destroy a portion of the brain these maniacs deemed the offending area causing the patient’s problem? This barbaric practice was later decided to be not the greatest idea, so they turned to electric shock treatments instead. That practice continued on into the 1970’s or later. But I digress.

But if you want to eat poop, be my guest. Knock your boxers off.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
You realize people aren't just picking up poop and putting it in their mouths, right?
You realize that the study I referred to was taking capsules of human poop by mouth for weight loss? I suppose putting the poop into gelatin capsules makes all the difference in the world?

One thing is clear … and I already kinda knew this was true … but it’s still amazing how nothing escapes rationalization anymore these days. I don’t care how outlandish, or previously unacceptable, there is an army of you people with a suitcase full of excuses and rationalizations for any and every crazy idea going. That’s what I realize.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:51 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
You'd be grateful for this if you were experiencing a C-Difficile infection after a colorectal cancer surgery with complications and it was your best chance for survival.

It's not as if doctors are just grabbing turds and shoving them into a patient's mouth. There's a lot of information to be found on this subject if you care to find it. It's pretty fascinating, actually, how helpful this mode of treatment can be for people whose gut biomes are wrecked.

In some cases, they do eat poo though. You're right, I think we should all be grateful we don't have to do something like that. But I guess they have a way to mix the poo in with regular food so they don't even notice it. It was a long time ago when I read about this subject, so I'm working off memory but I do recall there being a disease where people were actually eating the stuff because they needed the bacteria, and it was the most effective way to get it.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Without going wildly off topic, it isn’t surprising that a therapy like that would offer a benefit to those who have submitted themselves to the system wide destruction chemotherapy causes. That’s even crazier than eating poop.

But this wasn’t the subject of this discussion … which was consuming capsules of poop for the purpose of weight loss.

And, no one seems to be aware of the fact that there are a plethora of probiotics available to add these beneficial bacteria to the body that doesn’t involve eating freaking poop?

Old 08-02-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Exactly. I think some people have the wrong idea.
No, I don’t recall anyone claiming turds being stuffed in people’s mouths. But it is just a technicality, as the article being discussed involves “freeze dried human poop” placed in capsules, and taken by mouth.

So, to be accurate .. we have freeze dried turds ground up into powder, and placed into capsules, then stuffed into people’s mouths.

Funny, that chit may actually work for weight loss, because I’ve lost my appetite.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:18 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,003,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Without going wildly off topic, it isn’t surprising that a therapy like that would offer a benefit to those who have submitted themselves to the system wide destruction chemotherapy causes. That’s even crazier than eating poop.

But this wasn’t the subject of this discussion … which was consuming capsules of poop for the purpose of weight loss.

And, no one seems to be aware of the fact that there are a plethora of probiotics available to add these beneficial bacteria to the body that doesn’t involve eating freaking poop?
As usually happens, nature often turns out to be better than man's creation. Feces has much more diversity, stability, and efficacy compared to multi-species probiotic formulas, for reasons mostly related to the microecology and microstructure of feces. Try not to giggle in your highchair

Old 08-02-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
In some cases, they do eat poo though. You're right, I think we should all be grateful we don't have to do something like that. But I guess they have a way to mix the poo in with regular food so they don't even notice it. It was a long time ago when I read about this subject, so I'm working off memory but I do recall there being a disease where people were actually eating the stuff because they needed the bacteria, and it was the most effective way to get it.
Listen, now this is purely speculation on my part, but given all of the other examples of crazy we are surrounded by these days … isn’t it possible that this is just another example of crazy?

You do realize that we are being bombarded from every direction with “normalized” crazy?

Old 08-02-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
As usually happens, nature often turns out to be better than man's creation. Feces has much more diversity, stability, and efficacy compared to multi-species probiotic formulas, for reasons mostly related to the microecology and microstructure of feces. Try not to giggle in your highchair
This was a very revealing experiment. Not sure the results are something to giggle about, but certainly revealing nonetheless.

If this were a trial … I would say “your honor, the prosecution rests”.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:51 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
If you think the new rage in eating insects is a bit crazy and unappetizing, you ain’t seen nothing yet. Is this science? Or is it insanity?

Want to lose some weight? Should you eat some poop..actually someone else's poop? That's what researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) will be testing in a clinical trial this year when they take fecal samples from lean people and give them in 1-2 gram capsules to obese individuals.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...h=1a141c257766

Yum, yum. I wonder how long the line is for volunteers for this clinical trial?

For those who don’t believe the world has gone stark raving mad, just read one news article per day. If it takes you more than a week to reach that conclusion, seek professional help, if you can find a mental health professional that isn’t crazy too.
I don’t know about it for weight loss therapy, but fecal transplants as they are often referred to, are a viable treatment for people with serious intestinal disorders like IBS and other inflammatory bowel diseases, and especially C. Diff.

Apparently, you don’t know much about medicine and have really betrayed your ignorance with this post. Why don’t you learn something fecal transplants before you jump to the conclusion that people are eating poop with a spoon? Take a moment to learn about this treatment, which has been proven effective for years. Again, I don’t know about if it works for weight loss. Seems like they’re looking for a quick fix for a complicated problem there.

Here’s a page on it from John Hopkins. They know a thing or two about medicine.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...cal-transplant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies