Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2022, 03:39 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
That in itself is a major problem.

A lot of these pension funds, annuities and other retirement accounts used to be able to rely on traditional savings accounts/CDs when we had "normal" or high interest rates.

With the Federal Reserve and Central Banks the world over keeping interest rates low or even negative for decades, they have nearly forced most of these funds and people in general to invest into the much riskier stock market in order to get any kind of returns on money/ROI.
I’ve said it before that everybody should be invested in the stock market and become more knowledgeable about how investing works.

But nobody seems to listen to me when I say this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 03:50 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
They paid more as a percentage because they made most to all the gains. The middle class percentage has continued to shrink as their incomes therefore taxable incomes have stagnated during the same time we have had huge gains at the end of our economy. This is happening while productivity from the middle class continues to rise, so more work but less of a share of the profits., hence lower percentage of total taxes paid.

I would expect to see those at the top pay a higher percentage of the total taxes because that is the only group seeing real gains in income, everyone else is flat or has been flat for decades.

Its a direct sign that gains are funneling to the top with very little trickling down to the middle class.
simply false. and the evidence to the contrary has already been posted within the last day on this thread.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The middle class is getting squeezed but not necessarily because of taxes.
It's other things -- healthcare, daycare, college costs, and out of control housing prices that are doing it, IMO
correct as well, except for the housing prices. That's temporary, and the majority of today's "middle class" already owns their home.

all those 100's of billions in taxes they're going to raise, and the deficit STILL might not budge at all (notice this also has gone by the wayside in talking points).

Gonna spend $64 billion on extending ACA subsidies. There's an effect on healthcare costs in there, and only 1 group to then feel the brunt of those costs - the middle class.

Federal/state government spends millions on free/subsidized daycare for the working poor ... somebody's gotta pay that bill through taxes or higher costs of their own.

College costs? The poor don't go to college, and when they do - paid for by somebody else.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:07 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
That in itself is a major problem.

A lot of these pension funds, annuities and other retirement accounts used to be able to rely on traditional savings accounts/CDs when we had "normal" or high interest rates.

With the Federal Reserve and Central Banks the world over keeping interest rates low or even negative for decades, they have nearly forced most of these funds and people in general to invest into the much riskier stock market in order to get any kind of returns on money/ROI.
Exactly right. Those of us who have retired were always advised to put a good portion of our money in "safe" investments like CDs. But CDs and Money Markets have been a losing proposition for many years. Retirees still have most of their funds in the volatile stock market which is not a good idea when one is currently living off that money and it is no longer feasible to go back to work to earn more should the market crash. Fingers still crossed that it won't crash before CDs and money markets rise above inflation levels.

Last edited by ansible90; 08-15-2022 at 04:26 PM..

Old 08-15-2022, 04:22 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
to the bold....

median household income 1970 …..7200...... in today's dollars that would be $54,979.05

median household income 2000 …..$40,483

median household income 2019.....68400

median household income in April 2022 is $75,539

sure looks like growth to any mathematician
Assuming all those numbers were converted into today's dollars, you are leaving out that that time period also covers women entering the workforce in large numbers... the rise of two income families is part of what you are seeing in that chart. That is household income.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:23 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,519,082 times
I would like another tax-cut provided the budget is balanced and no greater deficit financing.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:51 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Nearly all of the cash the Libs' $433B "Build Back Broker" bill doles out, will go to rich people, and none will trickle down...according to y'all.

So, the Libs borrowed, printed, & taxed (in the future) their way to gather up $433B, then handed it out to their millionaire & billionaire cronies.

Of course, "10% for the Big Guy" has already been agreed to, so is that trickle down? Or trickle up?

The 99% will never see a Dime of this haul, because trickle down is a farce...everyone here agrees; right?

So, how does this bill benefit any of us if trickle down is a farce?

Do you know what does trickle down? $739B new future taxes on businesses...I should know, I own one. They become "embedded taxes":

https://www.quora.com/What-is-an-emb...€™s-an-example

So, this bill takes $739B from consumers (for years to come), who will be paying higher prices, & gives it to the top 1%, who will just keep it all.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/san...pholes-wealthy

I see this more as "Trickle Up", don't you?
I'd probably spend any new tax cut rather invest like we did previously.
Probably go towards food (local and domestic, if possible), manufactured goods (imported) and donations 501(c) and charitable.
Not as likely, but possible (thinking about doing so now with excess IRA income), I'd throw it into replenishing my taxable trading accounts.
YTMV

Last edited by leastprime; 08-15-2022 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-15-2022, 05:18 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I have heard that janitor story before. Interesting but not representative of most poor people.

Some have moved up the economic ladder. But way too many are so low that they don't have to pay income tax. Something is wrong there. The bounty of trickle down has trickled up according to your statistics. People at the upper and middle-upper levels have benefited. Not much trickled down.
A lot of people have moved up exactly because trickle down works. The 50% increase in the percentage of US adults who are in the upper class proves it.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
You still need the money to buy those fractional shares. You always need some money to get started.

Would you believe there are people out there with no extra money to save or invest, and they don't buy booze, drugs, lottery tickets, and Gucci bags either?
of course there are. What % of adults fit into this scenario and why? What % are truly stuck in this position - that is, they are mentally or physically incapable of labor?

Old 08-15-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Yes I know that. In real life, there is a significant part of our population that does not understand that, or they never earn enough to be able to have extra to save or invest. All those people who don't earn enough to pay taxes. Very few of them will manage to get educated enough to climb out of their hole. It's very sad, really.
I think you're expanding the # of people who cannot get out of poverty.

You're going to need to find the figures for mental or physical incapacity to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies