Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2022, 11:47 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting
What's that got to do with trickle-down economics?

Bears no resemblance to it.

Are you that badly confused? Or are you just trying to make up silly definitions and assigning them to conservatives whether the conservatives are doing them or not, to score some fake "gotcha" points with ignorant, gullible liberals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 04:07 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The fact that people keep trying falsely claim that trickle down doesn't work... sort of validates that it does work. Otherwise they wouldn't have to keep kicking at it.

If trickle down doesn't work... what works?
The left in this country aren't after prosperity, trickle down or otherwise. They much prefer trickle-up poverty, where everyone is miserable. They don't care about helping "the poor"-just tearing down successful, hard working people, destroying American businesses and destroying American jobs.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:58 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Since the thread is coming up on 20 pages, time for a reminder...

Volobjectitarian explains the "trickle down" LIE

Old 10-08-2022, 08:00 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,361,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The left in this country aren't after prosperity, trickle down or otherwise. They much prefer trickle-up poverty, where everyone is miserable. They don't care about helping "the poor"-just tearing down successful, hard working people, destroying American businesses and destroying American jobs.
Exactly! I was just going to say, Democrats love to talk about a “trickle-up†economy in the context of prosperity, even though they can’t really articulate that idea. Will my next job be provided by a homeless person living on the street?

Old 10-08-2022, 10:03 AM

2,330 posts, read 961,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Those ultra-wealthy like their toys. Mega yachts and mansions included. Those toys cost money. That money goes to the businesses that make those toys. The employees who make them. The small businesses that make parts. The delivery drivers. If those toys are rather large (planes, yachts, etc...) then whole towns are supported by them.

Do you have really no idea how many jobs a mega yacht directly and indirectly creates? As far as the sportfishing industry where a custom sportfish yacht can run 5 to 12 million bucks, towns have sprung up. Bars, restaurants, marinas all create jobs. '

Do you really think there is no such thing as trickle down when a marina which may have slips for 100/200 of those yachts brings in marine supply stores with employees, bars/restaurants with, of course, bar tenders, waiters, weekend bands, detailers, mechanics, painters, installers, mates, captains, dock hands, office personnel, charter businesses, headboats, landscapers, fuel delivery drivers, divers, yard help, bait suppliers, tackle shops, and on, and on, and on....

RV's and the campgrounds as well as all the tourist attractions that sprout up.

Airplanes and everything affiliated with them, including, perhaps, the airport.

If one doesn't do the work himself, how about the simple thing of spending a bunch to have a classic car restored or customized? There will be a shop involved with help as well. Oh, wait a second! Even if he does the restoration himself, he'll still need to get the parts to do it from assorted small businesses scatered around the country.

And you believe these people spending big bucks on toys are not creating jobs? That is pure trickle-down economics working like it's supposed to right there!

Yes, trickle down works.

And there's only so many yachts and mansions they can buy. I know it's hard to believe, but it's very difficult to spend billions of dollars. Millions or tens of millions, not too difficult. Tens or hundreds of billions, not quite as easy.

I never said it didn't create jobs, but it's my belief that it's not an efficient method to create jobs.
Let's use the GFC as an example. Economists believe that anywhere from $500B - $2T was printed. Much of it went to bailing out failing banks and companies, and as I recall, no C-suite heads rolled, but instead were given golden parachutes.
They were wealthy before the bailouts and parachutes and became even more wealthy after.

Now rather than giving $1T to the wealthy class (who took the money to dumped it into more speculative assets), imagine if it went to the lower class who would've used the money to spend on necessities - housing, food, rent, goods, etc. That's a direct injection into the economy and would be felt immediately. How many jobs would that create? How many more service personnel, cashiers, waiters, main street type jobs would've been created due to the demand?
Are you going to tell me that a higher percentage of the bailout money would've been spent giving it to the wealthy rather than the lower class? Especially during an economic downturn, where people are hesitant to invest in small businesses, or use the money to expand existing businesses?
In fact, the opposite happens during a recession and the working class is impacted first and the hardest. They are first to be let go and do not have savings to weather a downturn, unlike the wealthy who have the ability to go without a paycheck far longer than the poor.

And don't mistake my argument for distributing to the poor as someone who is for handouts, because I'm not. Personally, I'd prefer our government to reign in the spending and stop taxing us to death. I'm merely arguing that if we're going to be dropping money from the skies, it would be better served going to the poor rather than the wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Then instead of hording your wealth, enjoy your life and buy a toy or two, take vacations, go out to eat. Let your money trickle down (remove it from behind your walls, your pillowcase, closet, etc...) and pass it on to others so they can earn a few more bucks towards helping them move up while supporting your needs/wants!
You get your toys, they build wealth and all are happy.

The gap between rich and poor is not what is destroying this country!

I don't take my wealth for granted. I know it can quickly go away in an economic downturn. My income generating assets won't quite be able to sustain my already meager lifestyle so I am investing and saving smartly.
I live well below my means and have just about everything I could possibly want, and no, I'm not interested in McMansions or yachts.
I'd buy a 911 Turbo but I can't justify the purchase when I know it can't/won't be driven regularly, and it goes against my personal financial principles.

It absolutely is destroying the country when the wealthy and mega corporations are buying up all the real estate making housing increasingly unaffordable, as evidenced by homeless crisis. That's just one example.

Last edited by bluesclues5; 10-08-2022 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-08-2022, 10:09 AM

15,848 posts, read 6,547,612 times
"Trickle down" is a meme intended to keep people pacified with their economic status. In reality, concentration of wealth is a normal consequence of pure capitalism. You can expect to be less well off with every economic downturn.

Old 10-09-2022, 05:16 AM

473 posts, read 237,227 times
Quote:
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting hasn't exactly worked. The Rich continue to hoard and the broke continue to stay broke. If this idea works than why does the income gap continue to widened?
Yes they don't trickle down, they trickle up, I have always done great under Republicans.

Old 10-09-2022, 05:28 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting hasn't exactly worked. The Rich continue to hoard and the broke continue to stay broke. If this idea works than why does the income gap continue to widened?
Not even close to realty!

And the left keeps electing and re-electing RICH dems.

You can't make this stuff up!

Old 10-09-2022, 06:13 AM

1,108 posts, read 529,132 times
Trickle up my butt -that means take MY hard earned money and give to so some slub dirtbag that made poor choices in life.

Also i ask you when was the last time a poor person hired someone? This thread is nothing more than jealousy for those who made dumb choices in life, not getting a education, always having there hand out for free stuff, crying about everything every day, not working, not staying married, not believing in themselves, not willing to take a chance and i can go on and on.

Trickle down works and its proven time and again. Stop your damn whining get a job, start a business, work your ass off 6-7 days a week and you will be rewarded and if not try again and again for goodness sake.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:16 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The fact that people keep trying falsely claim that trickle down doesn't work... sort of validates that it does work. Otherwise they wouldn't have to keep kicking at it.

If trickle down doesn't work... what works?
Trickle Up.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies