Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2022, 07:43 AM

19,887 posts, read 18,176,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That info is outdated. If you're referring to the Head Start program, any slight benefits gained completely disappeared by 3rd grade. The problem is that the US doesn't do preschool any better than it does public K-12, which is abysmal. Here's one of my posts on the PIAAC so you can see where we are in regards to both K-12 and college education in the US:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63818857-post44.html

Despite that very obvious handicap, and because trickle down works, the upper class has expanded by 50% over the past 50 years. Imagine what could be accomplished if we actually had good schools.

Great post.

Head Start and similar should be judged like this.......are the costs worth whatever benefits are derived from keeping young kids aways from bad parents for an extra year and spillover benefits like allowing some parents more freedom work more/differently etc. Because it's clear there has been ZERO long term academic benefit demonstrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 07:55 AM

45,519 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That info is outdated. If you're referring to the Head Start program, any slight benefits gained completely disappeared by 3rd grade. The problem is that the US doesn't do preschool any better than it does public K-12, which is abysmal. Here's one of my posts on the PIAAC so you can see where we are in regards to both K-12 and college education in the US:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63818857-post44.html

Despite that very obvious handicap, and because trickle down works, the upper class has expanded by 50% over the past 50 years. Imagine what could be accomplished if we actually had good schools.
The problem with Head Start, and many other intervention programs to include those that try to change negative behaviors for older kids, is that at the end of the day those kids return to the same dysfunctional homes they were born to and the same neighborhoods where the street life is more important than anything else.

Many don't believe it, and one reason I don't really have much of a problem with the school meals program (even though some of the fraud I've seen in it infuriates me) is that many of those kids come from homes where the parent(s) can't even get themselves organized enough to pour the kid a bowl of cereal. And that isn't limited to the "lower socio-economic class". I saw too many parents while teaching in a middle/upper middle class high school who were more concerned with their own "fulfillment" than taking care of their kids.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:19 AM

19,887 posts, read 18,176,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The problem with Head Start, and many other intervention programs to include those that try to change negative behaviors for older kids, is that at the end of the day those kids return to the same dysfunctional homes they were born to and the same neighborhoods where the street life is more important than anything else.

Many don't believe it, and one reason I don't really have much of a problem with the school meals program (even though some of the fraud I've seen in it infuriates me) is that many of those kids come from homes where the parent(s) can't even get themselves organized enough to pour the kid a bowl of cereal. And that isn't limited to the "lower socio-economic class". I saw too many parents while teaching in a middle/upper middle class high school who were more concerned with their own "fulfillment" than taking care of their kids.
As I've mentioned elsewhere, Richardson TX (RISD) pre-covid had a couple of overlapping programs the yield being a fair number of kids were picked up early fed breakfast, lunch and dinner at school (IIRC there was no dinner on Fridays) between school day's end and dinner the kids enjoyed some play/down time and some study time. By all accounts the effort while not cheap was working very well and then covid hit.

In much kinder words the district spokes-types made it clear the program was all about keeping certain students away from their parents/guardians as much as possible.

________

I'm a medium intensity fiscal conservative. However, I am all for funding school related efforts that actually work. IMO expanded school lunches, breakfasts, dinners and expanded school days too are worth much more investigation/study.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:40 AM

1,095 posts, read 886,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting hasn't exactly worked. The Rich continue to hoard and the broke continue to stay broke. If this idea works than why does the income gap continue to widened?

Typical liberal thinking.

We have never HAD trickle down economics. The Democrats always wrecked it before it worked.

The real problem is that, as soon as the less fortunate get a little more, government comers and steals it away to pay for such baubles as the arts, sports, sports and entertainment venues, recreation facilities, entertainment, and monuments to politicians.

Property tax is the real killer of the prosperity of the less fortunate. Governme3nts love property taxes because those less fortunate who lose their jobs get their houses taken away and sold at auction by government for not paying property tax. That's how governments keep their budgets stable during bad economy.

And remember, rental tenants pay the property tax in their rent payment.

The problem is not the rich. It is selfish greedy government.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:45 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,978,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
Typical liberal thinking.

We have never HAD trickle down economics. The Democrats always wrecked it before it worked.

The real problem is that, as soon as the less fortunate get a little more, government comers and steals it away to pay for such baubles as the arts, sports, sports and entertainment venues, recreation facilities, entertainment, and monuments to politicians.

Property tax is the real killer of the prosperity of the less fortunate. Governme3nts love property taxes because those less fortunate who lose their jobs get their houses taken away and sold at auction by government for not paying property tax. That's how governments keep their budgets stable during bad economy.

And remember, rental tenants pay the property tax in their rent payment.

The problem is not the rich. It is selfish greedy government.
If you have a problem with property taxes, move to a place you can afford. That has nothing to do with trickle down. Property tax is a local issue.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:53 AM

2,953 posts, read 996,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If you have a problem with property taxes, move to a place you can afford. That has nothing to do with trickle down. Property tax is a local issue.
Do you like apples?

Well if you have a problem with abortion, move to a place that has it. Abortion is a state issue.

How do you like them apples?

Old 10-07-2022, 11:06 PM

2,344 posts, read 973,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
How many poor people hire workers?

How many of you work for someone who started the company and became successful? Thats classic triple down - one starts a company, hires more and more people and gives raises.

That same owner takes their profits and buys new equipment, remodels the office, pays benefits including matching 401k - thats trickle down. You people have no idea how trickle down works even though you receiving the benefits right now.

I used to believe in trickle down, then I became a grown up and entered the real world.

As a 5%'er with a ton of disposable income, I ain't trickling **** down to anyone.
Sure I'll make some frivolous purchases that may spur the economy a little, but most of my money is in investments, and just plain old hoarding.

You can bet the ultra wealthy are also doing the same thing to the nth degree.
Sure, many will start businesses that grow into corporations and employ many others, but it pales in comparison to how much more they are getting in return from tax breaks, and how much better for society it would be if that money were given to the less fortunate.

If we're going to just give handouts to the wealthy expecting trickle down, when in reality it will just sit in tax advantage accounts or used to buy mega yachts and mansions, or some other asset to park their money, then it'd be better off going to the needy who will directly inject it back into the economy.

This ever increasing gap between the rich and poor is destroying the country.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:35 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,865,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
I used to believe in trickle down, then I became a grown up and entered the real world.

As a 5%'er with a ton of disposable income, I ain't trickling **** down to anyone.
Sure I'll make some frivolous purchases that may spur the economy a little, but most of my money is in investments, and just plain old hoarding.

You can bet the ultra wealthy are also doing the same thing to the nth degree.
Sure, many will start businesses that grow into corporations and employ many others, but it pales in comparison to how much more they are getting in return from tax breaks, and how much better for society it would be if that money were given to the less fortunate.

If we're going to just give handouts to the wealthy expecting trickle down, when in reality it will just sit in tax advantage accounts or used to buy mega yachts and mansions, or some other asset to park their money, then it'd be better off going to the needy who will directly inject it back into the economy.

Those ultra-wealthy like their toys. Mega yachts and mansions included. Those toys cost money. That money goes to the businesses that make those toys. The employees who make them. The small businesses that make parts. The delivery drivers. If those toys are rather large (planes, yachts, etc...) then whole towns are supported by them.

Do you have really no idea how many jobs a mega yacht directly and indirectly creates? As far as the sportfishing industry where a custom sportfish yacht can run 5 to 12 million bucks, towns have sprung up. Bars, restaurants, marinas all create jobs. '

Do you really think there is no such thing as trickle down when a marina which may have slips for 100/200 of those yachts brings in marine supply stores with employees, bars/restaurants with, of course, bar tenders, waiters, weekend bands, detailers, mechanics, painters, installers, mates, captains, dock hands, office personnel, charter businesses, headboats, landscapers, fuel delivery drivers, divers, yard help, bait suppliers, tackle shops, and on, and on, and on....

RV's and the campgrounds as well as all the tourist attractions that sprout up.

Airplanes and everything affiliated with them, including, perhaps, the airport.

If one doesn't do the work himself, how about the simple thing of spending a bunch to have a classic car restored or customized? There will be a shop involved with help as well. Oh, wait a second! Even if he does the restoration himself, he'll still need to get the parts to do it from assorted small businesses scatered around the country.

And you believe these people spending big bucks on toys are not creating jobs? That is pure trickle-down economics working like it's supposed to right there!

Yes, trickle down works.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:39 PM

24,716 posts, read 9,518,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting hasn't exactly worked.
Speak for yourself.

Everyone has a boss/owner, and that boss is rich. Said boss did not need to give you a job.

You having a job, is exactly why trickle down works. The rich in America could’ve all hoarded their money and moved to their own private islands, instead they stay in America and provide jobs.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:41 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,865,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post

Then instead of hording your wealth, enjoy your life and buy a toy or two, take vacations, go out to eat. Let your money trickle down (remove it from behind your walls, your pillowcase, closet, etc...) and pass it on to others so they can earn a few more bucks towards helping them move up while supporting your needs/wants!
You get your toys, they build wealth and all are happy.

The gap between rich and poor is not what is destroying this country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies