Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2022, 03:39 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Who decides how much is 'fair share'? You? How much do YOU pay? 57% of the people in this country pay ZERO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES. I say how about if they pay a fair share decided by me.
yesterday, you said 53%, then you said 57% then I asked you where this # was coming from, and now you've said 57% again.

I'm well aware that ~1/2 of people have no Federal income tax liability. But where is this 57% coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Not true. Conservatives have touted the success of Reaganomics for as long as we had the term Reagonomics.
what was "Reaganomics" and what was the outcome, economically?

Federal income tax receipts stayed on their trend during Reagan - they did not go down, despite cutting the top rate in 1/2.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:55 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I agree but also punishing the rich bc they are rich doesn’t help matters, either. Everyone should strive to improve their lot in life but Democrats want to disincentivize it with their Robin Hood “you owe me” mentality.
Democrats are actually the opposite of the legendary "Robin Hood". Robin hood took money, not from the rich, but from government tax collectors and treasury agents, who were essentially the "liberals" of the day. And he gave the money back to the people who had originally paid it: Farmers, cobblers, carpenters, cleaners etc., and who not afford to lose it.

Robin Hood was a conservative.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:57 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
How many poor people hire workers?

How many of you work for someone who started the company and became successful? Thats classic triple down - one starts a company, hires more and more people and gives raises.

That same owner takes their profits and buys new equipment, remodels the office, pays benefits including matching 401k - thats trickle down. You people have no idea how trickle down works even though you receiving the benefits right now.
The problem with your explanation is the workers only ever get a trickle. Any big money the company makes is not going to the workers.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:59 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The problem with your explanation is the workers only ever get a trickle. Any big money the company makes is not going to the workers.
Explain why the big money should go to the workers.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
No, just like I was not ok with chumps present to the 1%'ers ...or didya forget ?

26 US billionaires paid average tax rate of just 4.8% in recent years (link)

Taxing Wealthy Americans (link) says:

"1,470 households reported income of more than $1 million in 2009 but paid zero federal income taxes on it."
"1 out of 5 millionaires pays a lower rate than someone making $50,000 to $100,000."

That's the fair share I am referring to.
oh lord, you poor soul.

to have looked at your link, and checked 1 factoid/claim ...

In 2009, 235,000 taxpayers had income > $1MM. You're pissed off about 1/2% of those? Did you bother to even skim the 200 page IRS document (hyperlinked) that told you how?

And I'm afraid you'll need to get back to us on the "1 out of 5 millionaires pays a lower rate...", as your Obama era link - just like the entire Obama Era article - is expired

Old 08-07-2022, 04:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Liberals claim trickle down doesn't work....

Because they don't understand (or intentionally misrepresent) what trickle down actually is and what it's supposed to do.

Trickle down is just Capitalism being allowed to work the way it's intended to.

It doesn't mean that money, wealth and prosperity is going to fall into your lap.

Because what trickles down is OPPORTUNITY.

But YOU still have to go out and get your share of the trickle down, because no one is going to hand it to you on a silver platter.
Leftists don’t work - they leech off the government, aka. taxpayers.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:30 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
"I should know, I own one". Good for you, and as long as you are paying your fair share, you are to be congratulated. However, those who do not pay their fair share, should be taxed to the point it hurts.
What’s the fair share of those who don’t pay taxes?

Even those who do pay taxes, is paying $1 tax the same as $1,000,000?

Old 08-07-2022, 04:32 PM

6,995 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
No, just like I was not ok with chumps present to the 1%'ers ...or didya forget ?

26 US billionaires paid average tax rate of just 4.8% in recent years (link)

Taxing Wealthy Americans (link) says:

"1,470 households reported income of more than $1 million in 2009 but paid zero federal income taxes on it."
"1 out of 5 millionaires pays a lower rate than someone making $50,000 to $100,000."

That's the fair share I am referring to.
Income taxes are paid on WAGES. Millionaires and Billionaires don't earn the bulk of their income in wages. They are paid a salary of $146K or whatever is the current max to get their SS credits and get the rest in profits or distributions from their corporation which are taxed at a different rate. The only way to resolve that would be to declare all income as "wages" and tax it accordingly.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:33 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Explain why the big money should go to the workers.
Because it is supposed to be trickling down, according to the theory. Not to mention that without the workers, the business doesn't operate or make any money. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies