Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 04:50 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And I immediately think of the owner having gay sex.

Because that is what the sticker means.

Not something I'm interested in thinking about while eating dinner.
Dude, that's on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 04:55 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgonFreemon View Post
AnywhereElse seeing a gay small sticker on the door of a restaurant:

“I feel oppressed, why is this in face?”

*the sticker that is ‘in his face’ is literally 10 ft away from where he’s standing*
Here's a question for you: if you walked up to the door of a restaurant and there was a tiny little nazi flag 10 ft away from you on the window, how would you feel about eating there?

Now, YES, I understand that a nazi flag is far different from a rainbow flag. But the principle is the same... you see a flag promoting something you either disagree with or do not even want to think about. I'll bet you would not go into that restaurant. Why? Maybe the food is great, right? And so what if the owner is a nazi. You're only there for the food, no?

Old 08-29-2022, 05:01 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Here's a question for you: if you walked up to the door of a restaurant and there was a tiny little nazi flag 10 ft away from you on the window, how would you feel about eating there?

Now, YES, I understand that a nazi flag is far different from a rainbow flag. But the principle is the same... you see a flag promoting something you either disagree with or do not even want to think about. I'll bet you would not go into that restaurant. Why? Maybe the food is great, right? And so what if the owner is a nazi. You're only there for the food, no?
Instead of a nazi flag, since we're talking about LGBTQ, how about a cross or other Christian symbol? If someone was gay and decided not to do business with a shop that had a cross in it's window, would that be considered a reasonable way to react to the symbol?

Old 08-29-2022, 05:06 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And I immediately think of the owner having gay sex.

Because that is what the sticker means.

Not something I'm interested in thinking about while eating dinner.
Interesting, for a restaurant without a rainbow sticker, do you picture the owners having hetero sex while you're eating? Black folks having sex with a BLM sticker? Ukrainians having sex with the Ukrainian flag?

Lots of folks who support LGBTQ causes who are not LGBTQ themselves display the symbology.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Well the difference is that a flag tells me that the owner wants me dead as a non-white person because that’s literally what it represents.

While the gay pride flag represents that it welcomes gay folks, and I have no problem with that, as I have no problem with gay folks.
But because the restaurant is there and because it is still in business, we have to assume nobody has been killed. So then it must just be a philosophical thing. That being the case... are you going to go into the restaurant?

I'm going to go ahead and answer "no" for you (if I'm wrong, you can correct me). You are not going in because it appears the owner promotes a philosophy you do not agree with. And that is that. Same applies to both situations, albeit one is an extreme example.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:07 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Instead of a nazi flag, since we're talking about LGBTQ, how about a cross or other Christian symbol? If someone was gay and decided not to do business with a shop that had a cross in it's window, would that be considered a reasonable way to react to the symbol?
That’s me.
I dislike almost everything that the church stands for.
One of my favorite farm stands has crosses and Jesus’s loves you signs prominently displayed.
I’m fine with shopping there and giving them my business. I don’t love when they say “praise the lord” in response to polite conversation but it’s not big deal.

I would not patronize a store the had a nazi flag in the window because I know that the owner wants me dead. It’s different.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Same thing. If I were strongly opposed to Christianity, I wouldn't go there. And yes, it's reasonable. Same would apply to a shop that had a Satanist symbol on the door. I wouldn't go there (yeah, I realize such symbols are trivialized these days, but I mean a "for real" one).

Again, I DON'T care if the owner of a restaurant is gay. I don't agree with the lifestyle, but so what? What I DO care about is the grandstanding. Too many peacocks in this world. I'm sick of peacocks (not the birds). If drivers of Ford cars waved a flag in my face every five seconds, I would be opposed to that (even though I don't have a problem with Ford products).

Old 08-29-2022, 06:07 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,821,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Funny how the Leftist LGBTQ folks want everyone to respect their rights to march and protest but won’t respect other groups’ rights to do the same.

The Left constantly calls conservatives fascists but the Left is the real fascists.
With an increasingly loud and more public voice lesbians and allies are beginning to force the separation of the TQIA2S-BS from its homo-SEXUAL roots. (See new LGBAlliance, LGBDroptheT, SexMatters, FeministCurrent, GenderCritical, 4thWaveNow,.. etc.)

By forging new organizations and alliances we hope to be free of the neo-fascism of the regressive left that transgender ideology and other cockamamie wokeness has imposed upon us as we slept.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
A march celebrating “straight pride” outside of an abortion clinic in California devolved into violence as participants clashed with more than 200 pro-LGBTQ and pro-choice counter-protesters, according to a report.

The National Straight Pride Coalition, which organized the event, held for the fourth consecutive year in Modesto on Saturday, described its cause as backing heterosexuality, the “natural nuclear family,” Western civilization, Caucasians, Christianity and nationalism.

The handful of straight pride demonstrators was joined by members of the far-right group Proud Boys outside of a Planned Parenthood building ahead of the rally’s start — and were met by counter-protesters draped in rainbow flags and waving signs reading “Fascists not welcome here,” the Modesto Bee reported.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/28/straig...in-california/

----------

200 counter-protesters show up to protest a "handful of straight pride demonstrators?" okay, den.

I thought everyone had the right to protest unmolested?

It sounds like the pro-LGBTQ and pro-choice counter-protesters don't agree with that sentiment.

I guess the guy eating a kebob in NYC wasn't so bad after all.
This sounded like a good story to bash until I saw the words "Proud Boys." The same group that chanted "Jews will not replace us" at Charlottesville in summer 2017. The same group that led a treasonous riot in the Capitol Building on January 6, 2021. I'm sorry but that group has a track record of not being peaceful protesters.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:25 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Well the difference is that a flag tells me that the owner wants me dead as a non-white person because that’s literally what it represents.

While the gay pride flag represents that it welcomes gay folks, and I have no problem with that, as I have no problem with gay folks.

I don't have a problem with gays or lesbians either. BUT waving a rainbow rag and yowling like a turpentined cat about LGTBQWXYZ#@ et al "pride' loudly and obnoxiously in public basically proclaiming to the world what goes on in your private chambers I do have issue with. I have just as much issue with Hitler humpers going out and acting stupid so no, I'm not one of those feared "fascists" that usually don't get stupid in public. They're pre occupied goose stepping around tire fires in some fetid swamp yelling sieg heil.

In the last decade (especially since 2016) it's the left wing extremists supported by various other fringe outfits with racial and political agendas that have cause the most violence and mayhem. Symbolism has also been twisted and overhyped. To me that rainbow imagery tells me the one waving it may well want to see me dead for having the temerity to dare to wear my jeans and cowboy hat and having the audacity to have a Naval Jack Gadsden flying from my truck. If not dead them stomped but good in a back alley by a bunch of sado/masochist leather boys and dykes on bikes bull lesbians.

Both forms of the Gadsden have been proclaimed to be "racist symbols" by the rabbit breed cowering from their own shadow progressive leftists that like to be trendy and with the "in' crowd by proclaiming their support for the gay pride rainbow coalition. They lump a symbol of American defiance of tyranny that started this nation in with the nazi rag. I'm curious, do you have the same fearful reaction to the rising sun Japanese flag (which they still proudly fly today) as the swastika? You should. More people were brutally butchered under that flag than under the nazi flag. All in the name of "racial superiority". Chinese, Burmese,Malaysian, Filipino, Korean and SE Asian people who most can't distinguish in appearance from Japanese died in horrible ways because the Japanese were the Asian '"master race."

Ad into that all the British, American, Australian, New Zealand, French et al who died the same way and you have a hand that's a full house against Nazi Germany's pair of deuces. Would a rising sun make you as queasy as a crooked cross subtly displayed in the window of a sushi bar? Personally I despise sushi if I may drift off topic ever so briefly. The owner of that CA McDonalds may well be the grandson of a high ranking officer at Ofuna prison camp who is proud as a Banty rooster of his grandfathers service to Emperor Hirohito and Hideki Tojo.

Want to see racism and intolerance? Go to most any Asian nation. Listen for terms such as gai jin or quai loand count how many times you hear it aimed your way. And each nation has the same conpemt for other Asians as they do for you. The 'anti facism/anti racism crowd here in the US really has no clue what REAL racism and facism is. But they are totally on board with burning down someone's business or attacking the owner because of what they perceive to be subtle indicators of them being a racist or "intolerant of LGBTQWXYZMAP. people. If the last three letters of that acronym can be described as people. A Nazi swastika big or smal displayed in public in any manner is far less than subtle and yes, it's probably a gimme the person who put it up has a less than "progressive" view on race and ethnicity BUT at least one knows exactly where they stand with someone who would put such a symbol up.

The rainbow symbol is patently deceptive in what it may or may not mean and what footing one is standing on with someone displaying it. It does not only mean that an establishment "welcomes all LGBTQ people" in a kumbaya I love everyone manner. It could easily have been put up by a militant I hate all heterosexuals and "cis" people equally and if your one of the latter two enter at your own peril. There are most certainly plenty of those types out there.

At any rate I am genuinely curious about the answer to my rising sun reaction question. Or are all racist nationalist master race symbols not created equally? Consider that the Japanese still proudly fly that rag/ JDF naval vessels participating in REMPAC fly it full mast and/or astern of their warships as they steam into Pearl Harbor. Makes me fighting mad to see. Your reaction to this overtly and unabashed display of racism hatred and intolerance would be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies