Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2022, 07:30 PM

1,929 posts, read 559,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Have you been pregnant and given birth to a child?
Are you asking me, or the millions of women who have had and continue having successful births? I hear them.

Old 09-09-2022, 07:33 PM

1,929 posts, read 559,944 times
Quote:
Other than minors and the mentally impaired and those incarcerated legal rights are pretty much equal.
What legal rights does an unmarried man have in relation to pregnancy? Have you read this thread, or the OP you keep referring?

Old 09-09-2022, 07:48 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If abortion is available, then the father should have the option to participate or not in any part of the child's life - financial, emotional etc. Totally up to him. If the government denies women choice then it also must deny it to the father and dictate his participation.
In this case - if the man does not want the child and she refuses to abort (with it being fully legal) then he is to be excused. Well in one way it makes sense, but the realty he is not being punished for 18 yrs. No, he is being made responsible for spreading his seed.
You would think more men be pro choice. But I get it, the ball is in her court. Men don’t like that. I don’t get why male contraceptives are not #1 priority to be discovered and mass produced. It sure would save a whole lot of money and heart aches. Remember one woman - can only get pregnant once a yr or so, one man can impregnate a hundred plus in the same year. We are going about it wrong.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:02 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
. But I get it, the ball is in her court. .
This really is the bottom line.

As a woman, I at least understand why men think this is unfair.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:35 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Mlk once said " morality cannot be legislated, but behavior can be regulated." So to a certain degree, child support law exists for a reason.

Reality is in many situation, children are way better off if their biological mother or father just stay out of their life. For example, my sister in laws biological son wants nothing to do with his biological father. The boys 15th birthday wish is for my brother to legally adopt him.

My brother and my sister in law are financially secure, they really can do without the so called child support her ex sometimes pays Lol but since the guy sometimes pays and had visited the boy 10 times during the past 14 years, he thinks he has all the rights in the world as a father.

The last time he came to visit, the whole purpose is to convince my sister in law and my brother to invest in a project.
Sure, behavior CAN be regulated. It is regulated all the time, but whether it is right or not is subject to opinion. When Bloomberg was mayor of NYC, he limited the size of soft drinks that could be sold in the city, to regulate behavior. He didn't think people should be drinking giant cups of sugary drinks. While I wouldn't describe myself as a libertarian, when stuff like that happens, it definitely wakes up my inner libertarian. MLK did some extraordinary things. Great things. But it doesn't mean he was right about everything.

I agree with most of your post. And I agree with the concept of child support. It does exist for a reason. From a lot of the stories I have read, there is also a lot of room for improvement and reform. But it is definitely something that is necessary.

Old 09-09-2022, 09:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,428,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I have been hearing the argument a lot that a woman should be able to decide if it is the right time for her to have a baby. Whether she is mature enough to care for it. Or whether she is financially stable enough to take care of a baby. And that this right is being taken away from her by the state where she lives.

And I agree.

But it has me thinking. The women that are feeling this finally understand what many men have been feeling for a very long time.

Men have never had the right to say, "I am not financially ready to have a baby."

That has been a right that has been reserved for women only.

They say, "It is a woman's body, and it is a woman's choice."

OK. I'm not going to disagree. It is her choice.

But if a man feels he is not ready to have a baby, and the woman doesn't want to have an abortion, shouldn't he have the same right as the women, and be able to opt out? Then the woman can decide if she still want's to have the baby, knowing that she is financially responsible on her own?

Personally, I couldn't live with myself, knowing that I had a child out there that wasn't in my life or that I wasn't taking care of. But I am not "all men".

It is not my job to dictate my moral code, nor is it the government's job. We are either for equality, or we are not.
You make some excellent points. But as I have spoken to women about the same scenario about the father not really having any say. The women have typically come back to me and said, "You have a baby" then we could talk. It's not much of an argument, but the point being made is that the man isn't able to physically have a baby, therefore, he has no say in what the mother does to his unborn child.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:35 AM

36,544 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Thinking all men should get a vasectomy is certainly absurd and goes against what’s been touted “my body my choice”.

It’s interesting that instead of promoting birth control by both parties that the idea of men getting vasectomies gets brought up instead.

Who’s going to fund the vasectomies and the procedures to use the sperm to have a baby when the time comes? Who’s going to pay for the sperm to be kept in a bank?
I dont recall anyone suggesting ALL MEN get a vasectomy. Men who are not ready to become fathers at this time and are in fear of getting someone pregnant and having to pay child support. Really does everything have to be spelled out. The topic is men opting out of paying child support because they were not ready to become parents yet could not force the woman they impregnated to have an abortion. It would be logical that the poster was speaking of these particular men, not all men.

Why would these men's responsibility for birth control not be in question. I would hope the women they are having sex with are on BC and these men are using condoms, but we all know not every one does and bc is not 100% all the time and unintended and unwanted pregnancies occur, always have, always will so stop pretending like you can end it by talking about BC.

If someone wants a vasectomy or a tubal, etc. they or their insurance company pay for it. They are the ones having the procedure and no one is forcing them (although I would support government funded sterilization). Same with freezing sperm and embryo, you pay for it. I'm not sure why you are asking.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:40 AM

3,113 posts, read 940,134 times
Quote:
I dont recall anyone suggesting ALL MEN get a vasectomy. Men who are not ready to become fathers at this time and are in fear of getting someone pregnant and having to pay child support. Really does everything have to be spelled out. The topic is men opting out of paying child support because they were not ready to become parents yet could not force the woman they impregnated to have an abortion. It would be logical that the poster was speaking of these particular men, not all men.

Why would these men's responsibility for birth control not be in question. I would hope the women they are having sex with are on BC and these men are using condoms, but we all know not every one does and bc is not 100% all the time and unintended and unwanted pregnancies occur, always have, always will so stop pretending like you can end it by talking about BC.

If someone wants a vasectomy or a tubal, etc. they or their insurance company pay for it. They are the ones having the procedure and no one is forcing them (although I would support government funded sterilization). Same with freezing sperm and embryo, you pay for it. I'm not sure why you are asking.
It's not a solution. Most men want to become fathers, just with the right woman.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
What legal rights does an unmarried man have in relation to pregnancy? Have you read this thread, or the OP you keep referring?
I have never known an unmarried pregnant man, have you? When a man gets pregnant, he has rights, or not, in relation to his pregnancy just as a woman does. I'm sure all the ~75 transgender males that have given birth had the equal rights to their pregnancy.

Does a man have rights to make his own medical decisions?

Old 09-12-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
It's not a solution. Most men want to become fathers, just with the right woman.
Its an option, like abortion. Most women want to become mothers, but at the right time. I do not believe there is a solution.
IMO, a better option for men would be to push, push, push the male pill and bc injections through the FDA and get them on the market but until men take the initiative for that vasectomy if an option for men so worried about having to pay child support for a child they dont want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies