Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 07:50 AM

686 posts, read 807,225 times

Advertisements

Serious question here....

What are your thoughts on masks in todays climate? I actually don't mind wearing them in tight spots like a plane or in a doctors office/ER setting.

I feel like I rarely see anyone wear them correctly and I see more masks being worn by African Americans than I do any other ethnicity. I travel a lot for work and visit red, blue, and purple cities weekly. While out last week in Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh I counted mask wearers while out and about just for my own knowledge after noticing a pattern. On average it was a 4:1 ratio AA to other ethnicity wearing them and most( I did not tally) were being worn under the chin. Masks being worn by Caucasian Americans came in second and the majority of those wearing you would assume to be left leaning solely based off stereotypes of appearance. Third was Asian Americans, followed by Latino.

Is it a political statement?

Is it fashion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 07:54 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
I noticed it's mostly foreigners especially those from countries with heavy Nanny state authoritarian leaning governments that tend to wear the masks more... The ones that are culturally conditioned to simply listen to authority figures and not have a rebellious nature to them.

Maybe 5% of the population is wearing masks in South Dakota. I noticed it was more like 10 to 20% in Wisconsin while I was there.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-13-2022 at 08:04 AM..

Old 09-13-2022, 07:57 AM

9,519 posts, read 4,350,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Serious question here....

What are your thoughts on masks in todays climate? I actually don't mind wearing them in tight spots like a plane or in a doctors office/ER setting.

I feel like I rarely see anyone wear them correctly and I see more masks being worn by African Americans than I do any other ethnicity. I travel a lot for work and visit red, blue, and purple cities weekly. While out last week in Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh I counted mask wearers while out and about just for my own knowledge after noticing a pattern. On average it was a 4:1 ratio AA to other ethnicity wearing them and most( I did not tally) were being worn under the chin.

Is it a political statement?

Is it fashion?
I've noticed that Blacks are more likely to wear masks in my area as well. However, correct mask usage is far more prevalent than incorrect usage. I'm not sure what this is about, but its an interesting discussion.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:59 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,068,013 times
I still see a fair number of people in grocery stores with a mask....both black and white. Ido find it strange, when I see a couple shopping together, and one has a mask, and the other does not.
If Aferican Americans are wearing more mask then white people, I wonder if it`s a democrat thing.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:59 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,241,315 times
I don't think it is fashionable since most of the masks I see are not fashionable, just solid black, blue, ect. I think it has more to do with a higher acceptance of mask use and the fact that we did see flu and other infectious diseases drop so the thought that even if it protects against the flu then it is helpful.

Keep in mind most black folks are not concerned with public stigma or getting looks when wearing a mask, that seems to be a big issue in other groups. So if a Black guy wants to wear a mask then other black people usually don't care or think twice about them wearing it, it's considered a "Personal Decision". Nor do you see African American Mask wearers ranting at others to put a mask on constantly as you see in other groups, there are always exceptions but on average it is rare.

In all honesty, only a subsegment of "White Folk" seem obsessed with who is wearing a mask, what people might think, or feel a need to go insane over a mask anymore. But even that statement is likely a stretch. It's a very small group that seems to still have a visceral response to someone wearing a mask.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 09-13-2022 at 08:26 AM..

Old 09-13-2022, 08:03 AM

21,156 posts, read 19,742,228 times
Are they generic masks or ones that spell out "BLM" in gold sequins?

Old 09-13-2022, 08:09 AM

9,519 posts, read 4,350,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Are they generic masks or ones that spell out "BLM" in gold sequins?
I've yet to see a BLM mask in real life. The vast majority are a solid color.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:12 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,068,013 times
Some now wear mask just to commit crimes. I have read that in CA, some stores will not even allow customers to come in with a mask.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:15 AM

7,387 posts, read 3,542,914 times
i don’t see any large demographic either black or white wearing masks in Tennessee on a wide scale. mostly, its boomers from the north who have retired here wearing their masks to the grocery store on a Tuesday morning where there are literally 5 people in the entire store. last week, i saw a young male in his 20s walking up a main road with no pedestrians, he was literally the only person walking on this road on a beautiful day wearing his cheap paper mask all by himself. it was so dumb, i had to take a picture of this young male in the prime of his life, all by himself wearing a cheap mask.

you can clearly tell how he votes just by looking at him

and i am a live and let live type, but still what a clown

Old 09-13-2022, 08:16 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I don't think it is fashionable since most of the masks I see are not fashionable, just solid black, blue, ect. I think it has more to do with a higher acceptance of mask use and the fact that we did see flu and other infectious diseases drop so the thought that even if it protects against the flu then it is helpful.

Keep in mind most black folks are not concerned with public stigma or getting looks when wearing a mask, that seems to be a big issue in other groups. So if a Black guy wants to wear a mask then other black people usually don't care or think twice about them wearing it, it's considered a "Personal Decision". Nor do you see African American Mask wearers ranting at others to put a mask on constantly as you see in other groups, there are always exceptions but on average it is rare.

In all honesty, only a subsegment of "White Folk" seem obsessed with who is wearing a mask, what people might think, or feel a need to go insane over a mask anymore.
People in general who wear masks don't give a damn about the "stigma". They are concerned for their health. It's the ones who don't who often are trying to make a political statement to a world that doesn't care what they think anymore. And no, I have not noticed any racial tendency in masking. The one thing that does stand out is age. That's a good thing as it is older people who are, by far, most at risk from respiratory illnesses in circulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies