Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 04:30 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,759,540 times

Advertisements

Regardless of political affiliation, I worked in a nuke plant and I am 100% against them because of it. They pollute the environment far more than a fossil fuel plant in my opinion. Instead of air pollution, they pollute the ground for thousands of years and if there were to be a disaster, it can impact up to a 50 mile radius of everything in its path. I am not a Democrat by the way.

Old 12-14-2022, 04:49 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Regardless of political affiliation, I worked in a nuke plant and I am 100% against them because of it. They pollute the environment far more than a fossil fuel plant in my opinion. Instead of air pollution, they pollute the ground for thousands of years and if there were to be a disaster, it can impact up to a 50 mile radius of everything in its path. I am not a Democrat by the way.
Hmmm. Plant manager maybe? Can you list all the safety features that are built into Seabrook Station? Surely with its license extended thru 2050, during a democrat administration, its a safe plant.

Old 12-14-2022, 04:55 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Hmmm. Plant manager maybe? Can you list all the safety features that are built into Seabrook Station? Surely with its license extended thru 2050, during a democrat administration, its a safe plant.
Surely you realize that the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that issues the licenses is not some swap out after every election agency filled with political hacks that wouldn't know the difference between a reactor and a food processor.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:04 AM

25,730 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
But it's called "the inflation reduction act" how could it not reduce inflation
Because its patterned after the "Affordable Care Act"

Libs think the French are a country to emulate, & France is returning to Nuclear power (after Putin cut off their natural gas & oil). France is repairing & restarting many of its previously shuttered Nuclear power plants. Thus, I think the uber left in the U.S. will not be as against it as they were before, due to France's actions.

The main reason is the Uber Left needs to destroy the fossil fuel industry, is because its one of the major sources of funding for the Republican Party. And, it's easier to shut off a citizens electricity, thus immobilizing their electric cars, than it is to shut down all the gas stations.

It's all about power money, & control..it has nothing to do with the environment....that is a smokescreen.

If it was about the environment, we'd be moving to natural gas powered cars, not EV's. We lose ~8-15% of the energy, when we transfer elecricty from where its generated into EV's, then even more when EV's motors use it to propel the EV...highly wasteful:

https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...0905-fotw.html

Last edited by beach43ofus; 12-14-2022 at 05:22 AM..

Old 12-14-2022, 05:11 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Surely you realize that the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that issues the licenses is not some swap out after every election agency filled with political hacks that wouldn't know the difference between a reactor and a food processor.
We did for the Secretaries of Transportation and Health and Human Services, Complete political hacks that have no idea and are unqualified. The current Health Secretary has no medical training nor medical background. Stunning. The Transportation Secretary was a small town mayor for one term; with experience in potholes.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:21 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,366,655 times
Its a danger issue, not a left or right issue. The by products of nuclear energy are dangerous and not easy to deal with.

Environmental groups lobbied governments to stop building new power plants out of fear. This resulted in new safety regulations that made building new plants cost prohibitive.

Other issues include waste. Though relatively small, it is dangerous for centuries or even thousands of years. Some is stored on site at nuclear plants. Some has been transported to deep, underground storage facilities. Again, there is fear about accidents while transporting, and decay of containment over time.

Failures like Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukushima only increased these fears.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:29 AM

59,035 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
It seems like a really good option. But it seems like the left is bent on stopping nuclear power, why?

I found this on Axios from 2017:

The left's nuclear problem
"Why is the left so against nuclear power?"

Ignorant people!

Old 12-14-2022, 05:31 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,269,608 times
Quote:
It seems like a really good option. But it seems like the left is bent on stopping nuclear power, why?

Maybe one of them will explain it to us. I fully support it. It's clean and cheap and the newer plants are safe.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:31 AM

59,035 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
People on the left don't have a science education. They are scientifically illiterate.
"People on the left don't have a science education"

Way too many only have Liberal Arts degrees!

Old 12-14-2022, 05:33 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:

Because they don't understand the science and it scares them. They'll use one nuclear incident, which admittedly can be pretty bad, to justify their position, but when questioned about the harm caused by one nuclear incident vs the massive, ongoing damage caused by coal burning and even hydroelectric power (damns have a huge environmental impact), they suddenly go into classic liberal "Uh oh. Someone brought up a topic involving science and logic. Better dust off the 'ol liberal arts degree" mode, which is immedately followed by a blank stare and drool running out of the side of their slack-jawed open mouth. The party of science, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies