Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will your next vehicle purchase be an electric vehicle?
No - I'm sticking with gas powered 144 78.26%
Yes, I prefer the electric vehicle 24 13.04%
Other type powered vehicle 11 5.98%
I don't drive 5 2.72%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 03:34 PM

20,144 posts, read 18,387,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
All "EVs" do is switch the emissions from the tailpipe to the smoke stack at the power plant.

There is no free lunch.
True but all in EVs win easily because of ICE heat and pump losses. It's not even remotely close and it all be worse and worse for ICEs into the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 03:44 PM

52,455 posts, read 53,011,596 times
I won't consider it until the infrastructure is similar to gas powered, with charging stations all over the place, the tech to charge quickly, then maybe.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:23 AM

34 posts, read 21,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I was thinking a self-driving car would be of great help to those who might not be able to drive themselves, for various reasons--examples being the blind, or the elderly whose ability to control a car are gone, such as that.
You can say that again pal. In some instances, A.I. driving vehicles can anticipate and predict accidents and avoid them far better than humans. Also, it does not tire and become distracted. Also, it can network with all other traffic.

This is actually an idea of Yuval Noah Harari that if all self-driving vehicles are connected to a single network they'll be coordinated better and possible collisions will be avoided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwG2MjDajyk

All of this should radically reduce road hazards and accidents. But there are ethical and technological questions that arise. What if the self-driving car runs into a kid and needs to swerve directly to a truck to escape it (and kill the passenger)? That's an ethical decision that has to be made. Or what if the network system gets hacked? What chaos would that be?

I'm always in for new tech, but companies should look before they leap on this one.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:47 AM

1,465 posts, read 792,224 times
[x] New Cars are for Suckers

I might buy an EV for a city runabout someday, but it won't be new. I'm not going to live long enough to see the invention of an EV that can replace the pickup that I use to tow our camper.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:38 AM

9,407 posts, read 7,054,922 times
Nope.. probably buy an EV around 2030

Old 09-26-2022, 06:27 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,196,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesparrow View Post
You can say that again pal. In some instances, A.I. driving vehicles can anticipate and predict accidents and avoid them far better than humans. Also, it does not tire and become distracted. Also, it can network with all other traffic.

This is actually an idea of Yuval Noah Harari that if all self-driving vehicles are connected to a single network they'll be coordinated better and possible collisions will be avoided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwG2MjDajyk

All of this should radically reduce road hazards and accidents. But there are ethical and technological questions that arise. What if the self-driving car runs into a kid and needs to swerve directly to a truck to escape it (and kill the passenger)? That's an ethical decision that has to be made. Or what if the network system gets hacked? What chaos would that be?

I'm always in for new tech, but companies should look before they leap on this one.

Or what if someone gets into the car with you to kidnap you and the car refuses to hit the "gas" and run into the nearest object to put the creep thru the windscreen? That was a defence a few years ago incase someone tried to abduct you in your car.......

Old 09-26-2022, 06:30 AM

45,674 posts, read 24,155,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I am curious if the left have convinced you to go EV or if you are still sticking with gas, if that is what you currently are using?
So the assumption in your question is that only 'lefties' support EV's.

Living in the southeast most of my friends are conservatives. In fact one couple --- real Republicans --long term conservatives...own 2 EV's. I personally would like an EV but being road trippers we are waiting as technology allows longer travel and more charging stations and would never have 2 EV's. I would love a hybrid of sorts. I think that's the best of worlds.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:47 AM

31,298 posts, read 20,824,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So the assumption in your question is that only 'lefties' support EV's.
No, but I'm sure the statistics are skewed that way. Lefties are more likely to be climate alarmists and therefore have more tolerance for the EV issues.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:44 AM

1,465 posts, read 792,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Or what if someone gets into the car with you to kidnap you and the car refuses to hit the "gas" and run into the nearest object to put the creep thru the windscreen? That was a defence a few years ago incase someone tried to abduct you in your car.......
If you're worried about one in a million cases like that, you're probably better off staying at home in your pillow fort.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:45 AM

45,674 posts, read 24,155,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, but I'm sure the statistics are skewed that way. Lefties are more likely to be climate alarmists and therefore have more tolerance for the EV issues.
It is true it has become politicized so that 'true' conservatices cannot admit to supporting EV's publicly or they will be the subject of insults/accusations of not being true conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies