Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will your next vehicle purchase be an electric vehicle?
No - I'm sticking with gas powered 144 78.26%
Yes, I prefer the electric vehicle 24 13.04%
Other type powered vehicle 11 5.98%
I don't drive 5 2.72%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 07:22 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,343,593 times

Advertisements

I don't drive, but if/when I get a car it'll be a regular ol' fashioned one w/o the bells and whistles. No computerized crap with plastic parts either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 07:23 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I am curious if the left have convinced you to go EV

What a silly premise. Anyone making a choice about a car purchase based on politics - right, left or center - is just plain idiotic.

The technology just isn't there yet for efficient and practical electric cars for someone who does a lot of long distance (7+ hours) driving. A hybrid, maybe, would be practical, but maybe not. Either way, I'll wait for an electric car that works for me.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 09-23-2022 at 07:37 AM..

Old 09-23-2022, 07:35 AM

30,395 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
And therein lies the problem.

EVs are so deficient that they don't do everything. Therefore you must also have a second vehicle powered by the "old" technology.

That doesn't sound like "the future."

People who are doing very well will simply have a few different vehicles. But for this tech to become "the future," it has to make sense for the single mother of three who is a waitress.
I agree and hope they can bring some lower cost models that also has a longer range to the market in the near term. The benefits of EV are tremendous but there are cons as well.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:11 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,110,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Absolutely not.

I will not be giving up sportscars for absurd progressive trends, that elite liberals don't even follow with their Lamborghini SUVs and private jets. You can't charge a Tesla in 5 minutes or find a charging station every 5 blocks. Then there's the absurd $60K base price point for a depreciating asset, hell no.

Well stated.
Be sure and wave as the Tesla Plaid @ over 1,000 hp and crazy torque numbers (one dyno test showed 1,101 hp by 905 foot pounds) blows by you at 1/2 throttle.

I'll grant you much of the, "let's change over right now or we are all going to asphyxiate and roast away" sloganeering from the left about EVs is just that. Sloganeering, undoable nonsense and political posturing.

The other side...................EVs longer term simply make way more sense. Fewer parts, much lower revolving and reciprocating mass, roughly 1/20th (probably better long term) waste heat, freakish instant power, HP to weight and complexity ratios that gassers nor diesels can touch.

Tesla is shipping Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries right now, VW, Tesla, Ford and I think GM are working on brand wide at least common batteries that will be hot-swappable across many cars. Obviously this would require material handling equipment but we've been doing this with battery powered forklifts and coal mining equipment for 30+ years.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I just traded my EV for a C6 Vette brett. I missed having a C6. The EV was best car i ever had on cost to drive at $6 a month to charge. I missed the sound of a V8 nate and the C6 is the only car i really love. Gonna get super charged soon and other mods.
Nice.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
All the market does now is allow us a choice, if you want gas only its there. all electric its there and between the 2 hybrids. I'm surprised the oil industry hasn't gotten onboard with providing charging stations, just another commodity they could be selling but I forget they don't own the stations anymore....
Bingo.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:27 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Not until I can drive it 500 miles on a charge, stop at a station, and recharge in 5 minutes, then be on my way again.
That's the big thing stopping a lot of people from going to EVs. It's like the early 1900s when you had to carry cans of gasoline with you if you ventured too far from home because there might not be anywhere to fill up.

As the grid expands, EVs will become more and more viable. I doubt we'll ever see the total elimination of ICEs, but I don't think they will be available in passenger vehicles and light duty trucks forever. ICEs will also be progressively more expensive to operate as petroleum products see a drop in demand, which will generate a drop in production, which will mean less availability at a higher cost. A lot of filling stations will simply not be able to sell enough product to make it worth their while to stock it, and we'll be back to the early 1900s with jerry cans full of petrol loaded into your antique vehicles for trips longer than a few miles.

Everything in life moves in a circle.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:42 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Be sure and wave as the Tesla Plaid @ over 1,000 hp and crazy torque numbers (one dyno test showed 1,101 hp by 905 foot pounds) blows by you at 1/2 throttle.

I'll grant you much of the, "let's change over right now or we are all going to asphyxiate and roast away" sloganeering from the left about EVs is just that. Sloganeering, undoable nonsense and political posturing.

The other side...................EVs longer term simply make way more sense. Fewer parts, much lower revolving and reciprocating mass, roughly 1/20th (probably better long term) waste heat, freakish instant power, HP to weight and complexity ratios that gassers nor diesels can touch.

Tesla is shipping Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries right now, VW, Tesla, Ford and I think GM are working on brand wide at least common batteries that will be hot-swappable across many cars. Obviously this would require material handling equipment but we've been doing this with battery powered forklifts and coal mining equipment for 30+ years.
The Plaid is definitely badass. Hell, even the Rivian pickup runs in the 11's. That being said, given the choice of a Plaid or a CTS-V, I'll go with the Cadillac. For me, it is much more than just the 1/4 mile times, no matter how impressive they may be.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:55 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Great gas mileage. If you know a truck that can tow 4,000 pounds which is what my camper weighs and gets 42 MPG (less when towing I know) I would pounce on it. Oh and it co#ts around $25,000 new. The price is really cheap and you get the mileage on top of it.
Do you realize that when towing, you won't get anywhere close to 42 MPG? Also, you're lugging around lots of extra weight with batteries.

The average gas bill is somewhere around 3000-3500 bucks per year. You'll save what, 1,000 bucks a year?

The vehicle has 191 Horsepower. It has very little power for a truck. You can tow with that vehicle just the same as towing with any normal car.

It sounds like you're looking for an economy car, not a truck.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:00 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Why not?

If the average commuter drives less than 50 miles per day, or about roughly 1400 a month. Even the smallest EV that you can buy now, gets 50 miles.

I completely understand that not every car is parked in a suburban driveway that has access to an electrical outlet. But there are people working on that problem. It's going to take some time.

People here think that Rome was built in a day.

Nobody thinks that Rome was built in a day.

They just don't want to be forced to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies