Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 07:51 PM

9,410 posts, read 11,153,578 times

Advertisements

If kids don't know about birth control, condoms, etc. by age 18 they must be living under a box.

A university exists to educate, educate in the higher levels than high school. They don't need to be getting into this branch of "education." Stick to the subjects offered. IMO schools, from K-12 included, have absolutely no business in the sex ed business. We see daily how that is horribly abused and perverted by abusive and perverted people who like to prance around, "educating," in all sorts of freakish getups.

Leave it at the door. Concentrate on turning out citizens who are well educated, in the traditional meaning of "educated," not well indoctrinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 08:55 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,699,244 times
And your doctor's office shouldn't be advertising for Cliff Notes.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:01 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,210,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
If kids don't know about birth control, condoms, etc. by age 18 they must be living under a box.

A university exists to educate, educate in the higher levels than high school. They don't need to be getting into this branch of "education." Stick to the subjects offered. IMO schools, from K-12 included, have absolutely no business in the sex ed business. We see daily how that is horribly abused and perverted by abusive and perverted people who like to prance around, "educating," in all sorts of freakish getups.

Leave it at the door. Concentrate on turning out citizens who are well educated, in the traditional meaning of "educated," not well indoctrinated.
Maybe, but this view of college life is somewhat naive.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:27 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,950,648 times
Quote:

Your post is inconsistent with itself. First you say every kid should know about birth control by 18, but then say high school shouldn't teach it. If you are expecting parents to teach their kids about sex, you are delusional.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:40 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Your post is inconsistent with itself. First you say every kid should know about birth control by 18, but then say high school shouldn't teach it. If you are expecting parents to teach their kids about sex, you are delusional.
That's an excellent point. Thank you for making it. I grew up the daughter of an OB/GYN, and my mom actually taught "sex ed" in one of my schools that did not have a full-time health teacher. It's amazing how many young people do not know even the basics of how female and male anatomy work much less how to use birth control effectively to prevent pregnancy and disease. The RA with the condoms in a basket outside his or her dorm door may make all the difference.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:47 AM

9,410 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Maybe, but this view of college life is somewhat naive.
Rilly. Yes, most college life is about partying, hooking up, getting wild and crazy. Still, after four or 11 years and with a BA/BS the payor should have some sort of sound base of useful marketable knowledge.

I went to college late so I had no involvement in the party scene, fraternities, any of that other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I had absolutely zero sex ed from my parents or in the school. The information is out there, the internet is out there and it wasn't out there when I was in HS or college, yet I learned all I needed to know.

Here is a basic, and it's not from a delusional POV: kids learn stuff!!! It's not ALL from their parents, and it's not ALL from school. If you truly believe otherwise you might be delusional, or you might just need to get out more.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:07 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,950,648 times
Quote:
Rilly. Yes, most college life is about partying, hooking up, getting wild and crazy. Still, after four or 11 years and with a BA/BS the payor should have some sort of sound base of useful marketable knowledge.

I went to college late so I had no involvement in the party scene, fraternities, any of that other stuff.

I had absolutely zero sex ed from my parents or in the school. The information is out there, the internet is out there and it wasn't out there when I was in HS or college, yet I learned all I needed to know.

Here is a basic, and it's not from a delusional POV: kids learn stuff!!! It's not ALL from their parents, and it's not ALL from school. If you truly believe otherwise you might be delusional, or you might just need to get out more.
If you are comfortable with young teens learning about sex and contraception in a haphazard manner, that's your opinion. I believe that will spell disaster for many teen girls who find themselves pregnant because they only haphazardly learned bits and pieces of what they need to know.

Yes, I believe schools should teach the facts of life, including contraception and where to get it. Especially now with so many states banning abortion. There is no room for a young teen to make a mistake.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:26 AM

10,441 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
PS. Most girls loose their virginity at 12-13 yrs of age. They know more about Birth Control than the avg. Millennial ~

Maybe if they are hanging out leftist pedophiles. I'd think most women who come from a nuclear household, is much later in life.

When I was 12-13, hardly even knew what sex was.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:48 AM

78,348 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I have two young adult children, one recently graduated from university and one still there, and it is typical for RAs to have a basket of condoms near their dorm rooms for students to take as needed. My eldest had a friend, a grad student, who worked for her university as a sex educator, meaning she gave talks to incoming students about safe sex practices, including birth control. Under this law, both could have been charged with a felony. A felony! Does that seem right to you?

And, no, it's not typical for children to lose their virginity during puberty. The average age is currently 18. Where are you getting your information?
Average age is currently 17.

This will be wildly different depending on various socio-economic, geographic and cultural factors in the US.
18.1 for asians, 15.8 for blacks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aver...client=gws-wiz

So, I'd agree it's not *most* by 12-13 but it's happening pretty dang young and in numbers for those kinds of averages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies