Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 05:18 PM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Bannon went home after the trial, he filed an appeal, he's not going to jail.
Correct. If he were a poor black man, the presiding judge would have remanded him immediately to Federal prison, telling him to 'appeal from your cell'.

I do think Mr. Bannon will serve time. There is nothing to appeal. The Courts have already concluded that the January 6th subpoena was valid (which only idiots would argue otherwise). The jury found beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Bannon did not abide by the subpoena.

I do not know what the appeal time is; probably two weeks. However, note that the courts can move very quickly if they feel an appeal is wholly frivolous.

My main gripe is with the fine of $6,500. That in no way serves as a detriment to others, or reimburses the taxpayers for the money spent in prosecuting this anti-American idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 05:30 PM

426 posts, read 178,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The basis of your objection, and the MAGA folks' position, is simply that the January 6 assault on the Capitol, and the attempt to set aside the constitution and the election, based on an absolute and provable lie perpetrated by the president, is nothing more than a simple protest. Only a rowdy parade - not important or threatening to the constitutional transfer of power. The world knows otherwise. The evidence points to a high-level conspiracy. The committee hearings were established legally and carry the full weight of Congress. One cannot choose to ignore it or pretend that it is a fake committee. The GOP attempted to sabotage the committee from the start and fosters the idea that it has no authority. That is a fool's position, and Bannon is a fool, along with any others with the same opinion. He can think about it from his cell.
I’m still waiting for January 6th, 2005 to be investigated.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...-on-jan-6-2005

Old 10-21-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
There's indirect contempt, civil contempt and criminal contempt. Sometimes a court orders a person to do soemthing and sometimes to refrain. Contempt of Congress is no different.

But you keep thinking they all are the 'same violation'. It ain't necessarily so. And you deflect off the subject.
Considering Holder was selling guns to drug cartels through operation Fast and Furious and one of those guns were used to kill a border patrol agent, I imagine the contempt was a bad one.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:35 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujouner View Post
I don't recall anyone stopping the vote certification in 2005, Kerry conceded the day after the election, no broken windows in the capital, there wasn't 63 lawsuits, no stop the steal rally on Jan 6 2005. The election in 2000 was decided by 537 votes and there was a peaceful transition, Trump lost 4 states, lost the election by 8 million votes and we had we had a riot.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:38 PM

Quite the change in Bannon's comments before and after the trial, he claimed he would fight them to the end before the trial now he's asking for leniency.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:45 PM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't recall anyone stopping the vote certification in 2005, Kerry conceded the day after the election, no broken windows in the capital, there wasn't 63 lawsuits, no stop the steal rally on Jan 6 2005. The election in 2000 was decided by 537 votes and there was a peaceful transition, Trump lost 4 states and we had we had a riot.
True. Why that person brought up 2005 is a mystery.

I will cite the 2000 election. I voted for Mr. Gore. The Florida count was the issue. I, being an attorney and as such willing to follow the law, quickly determined that, once the Florida Secretary of State certified the results for Mr. Bush, then the election was over. Indeed, eventually the Supreme Court took the same general view (after all the flurry of lawsuits). The law provided that, once certified, the electoral votes for said state stand. Mr. Gore, after the Supreme Court, conceded.

Mr. Gore, as outgoing VP, being a patriotic American and not insane, even presided over the counting of the electoral college votes on that January 6th, and did not try to claim that he could 'overrule' any state's slate of electors and send them back to the States. If any person had tried to claim that Mr. Gore held such power, they would have been quickly shut down.

While I disagree with Mr. Pence on many issues, when it came down to following the Constitution, he stood firm. I can't imagine the pressure he was under by people like then-President Trump and his lackeys on the days leading up to January 6th.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't recall anyone stopping the vote certification in 2005, Kerry conceded the day after the election, no broken windows in the capital, there wasn't 63 lawsuits, no stop the steal rally on Jan 6 2005. The election in 2000 was decided by 537 votes and there was a peaceful transition, Trump lost 4 states, lost the election by 8 million votes and we had we had a riot.
I remember!

Old 10-21-2022, 06:06 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
How could anyone let criminals get away with ignoring the law like you seem to be advocating?
The Dems are letting illegal aliens get away with ignoring our immigration laws but I guess that's ok?

Old 10-21-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Comparing 2005 where Kerry conceded the day after the election and 31 democrats voted against the certification to 2020 where senators wanted to stop the certification, seriously.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:09 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:

You'll get crickets from the rabid left in here on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies