Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did the republicans red wave fail?
Trump republicans and their radical views 44 15.44%
Jan 6 failed coup attempt 2 0.70%
Election lies 24 8.42%
abortion rights 49 17.19%
all of the above 166 58.25%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 11:12 AM

7,368 posts, read 3,533,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
3 million excess early retirements during covid. Retirees tend to head south.
not all retired. people like me who can work anywhere due to remote work no longer have to put up with suburbs of nyc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 11:13 AM

1,368 posts, read 489,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
BUT the reaity -- that wasn't what propelled him to win. So what if the liberal media didn't like him, conservative media never like the Democrat candidate.

Blaming the media for how people didn't approve of Trump implies that the majority of people aren't able to read through the bias. We can. I agree -- the bashing of Trump on the political talk show circuit on most of the media and some people enjoyed it, but it isn't why Trump lost in 2020.
If people could read threw bias there wouldn't be millions of brain damaged people who succumbed to the covid propaganda.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:13 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Meh turnout in metro Milwaukee kept Johnson afloat. As a whole turnout from minorities in metro areas was not great. Had it been better the Dems would have pulled off one insane upset this cycle but many likely stayed home assuming this was not really gonna be in play. The GOP I’m sure has learned you never want to rile up the 18-29 crowd again because that was their problem group here. I’m not sold Trump was the issue at all as many think
Both of your takes are spot on.

Dems failed to turnout their own base in cities and metros, and will likely be why they dont keep the House(NY and California races)

18-29 crowd is going to be why Dems flipped the Michigan legislature, also, thats going to be a giant call for fair maps . Alabama and Louisiana cases could mean maps in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas get redrawn. You could get 11 Safe NEW Dem seats out of those states come 2024, not to mention the Ohio Map is going to be redrawn again, and even though Dems did win the contested race in North Carolina, that map will change as well, possibly making an even safer Wake County seat.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:14 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
If we can limp towards a house victory I can cope with the rest. If the house stays along with the senate, it will be a very long two more years. I would never imagine a time where people couldn’t afford groceries but electing to keep the same people in full power. There is a lot to think about, congratulations if your a democrat, but we’re all in this together at the end of the day.
My guess at this point is the GOP winds up with the majority, albeit one at or even slightly less than the Democrats majority.

Without turning this into a policy thread (we have other threads o the board for it), part of it likely came down to the fact that it wasn't like the GOP offered solutions on combatting inflation and/or the thought that many factors have led to inflation, outside of the realm of politics.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:17 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
There most certainly is some truth to that. How many hundreds of thousands of Republicans have moved out of New York, over the last ten years, that would have made the difference?
A lot of people have moved out of New York recently. But not just Republicans - is there any data that shows more Republicans than Democrats leaving the state? Mostly they are retirees or soon to be retired. These older people want a warmer climate and lower taxes, irrespective of what party they belong to.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:20 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
Just looked at an election map of NY state:

It's definitely more Republican than I ever would have imagined.
I'm guessing the upstaters would like to secede and create their own new state?
It's that way nationwide. Republicans control a lot of empty space where no one lives.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:21 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
An amazingly flat election result. Little change, although I suspect GOP will get House due to NY uncalled races where they lead with almost no vote left to count.
It looks like they should get the house but there is this

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/st...90048255782914

Quote:
Getting to 218 is tougher than it looks for Democrats if races are uncorrelated (i.e. just a bunch of independent coin flips). However, they probably *are* correlated. If Democrats beat Upshot projections in California, it gets interesting, for instance.
The late vote in CA favors the Dems and then there is Boebert who's looking shaky. It will be a week before we know the House Results.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:28 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
It looks like they should get the house but there is this

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/st...90048255782914

The late vote in CA favors the Dems and then there is Boebert who's looking shaky. It will be a week before we know the House Results.
Dont forget, most forecasters had Dems losing the Colorado 8th as well. Its a Biden +1 district. The Dem there is up as well.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:32 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
A lot of people have moved out of New York recently. But not just Republicans - is there any data that shows more Republicans than Democrats leaving the state? Mostly they are retirees or soon to be retired. These older people want a warmer climate and lower taxes, irrespective of what party they belong to.
I'd love to see the breakdown, because like you, I'm not convinced it's one party over the other, especially when it comes to retirees.

I have a stake in a retirement community in FL, and we have seen lots of northern relocations over the last 20 years. Most all of them chalk it up to the two things you mentioned -- warmer weather, and much lower taxes. If I were in my 70s, I'd rather have FL Januarys than the weather in upstate NY at the same time.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:40 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I see as of right now that Boebert is slightly behind in the count. I know that could change, but how wonderful to see that there is a possibility she will be back working full time at her diner come 2023.
While it still looks like the GOP will take the House, if it winds up being 218-217 Dem with Boebert losing, that would be icing on the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies