Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did the republicans red wave fail?
Trump republicans and their radical views 44 15.44%
Jan 6 failed coup attempt 2 0.70%
Election lies 24 8.42%
abortion rights 49 17.19%
all of the above 166 58.25%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 08:37 AM

8,540 posts, read 4,779,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
The Republicans passed Roe v Wade? What does that mean?
Yeah…exactly. Nobody “passed” Roe v Wade. It was a Supreme Court decision.

Boy, civics classes need to make a comeback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 08:41 AM

6,825 posts, read 14,058,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The way I see it, the Republicans should be happy and hopeful about the future -

Firstly the Republicans have made in-roads and will probably take the House and finally banish Pelosi, with the Senate result is looking like it's on a knife edge,,

Secondly an emboldened Joe Biden may now fancy his chances of running again, which nobody wants including the Democrats themselves, however he's going to be difficult to remove. However even if Biden did stand down there is a list of no-hopers vying to replace him including Kamala Harris.

Thirdly the real star of the show was Ron Desantis, who now looks increasingly like Presidential material, and with Trump increasingly being sidelined, could now be the 2024 Republican candidate.

If it's a declining Biden vs Desantis in 2024, you have to fancy the Republicans chances,and Desantis is free of all the baggage and history associated with Trump and his administration.

So Republicans shouldn't lose heart.

I agree with most of what your saying but you are ignoring the elephant in the room. DeSantis has to go thru Trump and I doubt Trump is just going to step aside without a huge fight. A primary between DeSantis and Trump will be extremely ugly and there is no way the party not be fractured. It DeSantis was too defeat Trump the MAGA folks will never forgive him. It is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by Grainraiser; 11-10-2022 at 08:50 AM..

Old 11-10-2022, 08:42 AM

89,194 posts, read 44,965,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
There is nothing fishy about supporting Kemp and not supporting Walker.
That wasn't the question. The question is why did Democrats support Warnock but not Abrams? They want Democrat US Senators (both of GA's Senators are Democrat) but don't want a Democrat Governor, especially one who made abortion her top issue? How does that make any sense?

Old 11-10-2022, 08:47 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,602,119 times
I went with "all of the above" in the poll. Trump fatigue is massive and he needs to just ride off into the sunset.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:50 AM

2,701 posts, read 1,207,941 times
I chose all of the above. I also will say it's partly because of all the news and opinion articles about Trump. It reminded people who got tired of all overkill of media coverage with Trump.

It also IMHO confused people with all the taunts about Trump running in 2024 that in of itself could turn the swing voters to the blue side. They get confused with thinking the medterm elections are all about voting for Trump and it is not. Don Trump Jr. didn't help at all if anything I think he turned off so many people with that tweet it may very well have pushed them to go and vote against the GOP.

Also, Nancy Pelosi on the interview was another taunt about 2024 and midterm elections once again about Trump and this time she did say we need Republicans just not the cult of Trump. She alluded to this election as getting trump into office again and it's again a cult.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:51 AM

12,979 posts, read 9,684,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Except it wasn’t just retirees heading south. Folks have simply left Dem states in droves due to how ridiculous Governors handled the plandemic…and Florida is expected to get around 900/day until 2025 and bringing their tax money with them….and Florida picked up 136K+ Republicans in 2022.

https://dos.myflorida.com/elections/...y-affiliation/
I live in South Carolina, and lots of folks have moved here from the north, especially NJ and in my conversations with some of them, the main reason is the high taxes and high cost of living. And this was years ago before the pandemic, and they stated that their retirement money goes a long way down here compared to where they moved form.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:59 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,665,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Fail?

Democrats lost the House. Maybe the Senate, too, we'll see about that.

We won. Bigly.

Whether it's by a few seats or fifty doesn't matter. There was never a chance of a veto-proof majority in either house so the goal was to capture the House and maybe the Senate, and that's exactly where we're at.

Don't celebrate, Democrats. You lost the House. If you're cheering because it wasn't by as much as some people were predicting, then you're falling for the nonsense. You lost control. You're not assigning members to committees. You're not choosing which things to investigate. You can't prevent impeachment.

You're no longer the majority.

If you want to celebrate that, come on over and we can both celebrate together. I'll even buy the booze.
Correct. How can many not see this?
And just like the Democrats were able to hurt the Republicans by endless investigations, hearings, subpoenas, raids, arrests, etc (because it keeps up a constant negative impression of the leaders and subjects)...now, the same never-ending investigations/hearings will happen to the Biden Administration/Family. And the stuff they have on them is epic, since the waste-case son of the President left a personal computer at a repair shop and never picked it up. Coincidentally, he had a obsessive propensity to record/document everything...so, it is a treasure-trove of damning information.
This will diminish the current leader in the eyes of the electorate, the way it has diminished the former, if not worse. Much (not all, but most) of what they investigated the former POTUS for was concocted slanderous and defamatory stuff...what the current POTUS will be investigated for is real, and irrefutably documented.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Not everyone who moves to Florida stays in Florida. We had problems scheduling movers because we were moving at the end point of their route. They told us that their biggest stops were in the Carolinas. In Florida they are called "Half Backs; leaving Florida but not going as far North to where they were originally came from.
We have tons of Half Backs here in South Carolina.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am fine with gridlock. Two years of the dems passing insane legislation is over. However what happened in the house was less than you would expect in a normal mid-term. You can be in denial but its pretty obvious. It was not a red wave but a red splash. The kind a toddler makes in their kiddie pool. Gaining 8 seats so far out of 435 is not much. And perhaps no change in the Senate. Obama lost 60 his first mid-term, Trump -40. And Trump had a great economy and not the issues we have today.

To me it appears being Super MAGA did not give most candidates any sort of boost but in many cases it hurt them. Especially in swing states like AZ, PA and GA. Two years of disasters and the GOP did no better than 2 years ago. In fact worse. All the MAGA candidates that dems promoted in the primaries lost. Every one of them. Many in previously red districts.

So the GOP has to look at the kind of candidates should be running and if they should let Trump control that because his choices did not do well.
Absolutely no red wave.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:09 AM

1,579 posts, read 954,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That wasn't the question. The question is why did Democrats support Warnock but not Abrams? They want Democrat US Senators (both of GA's Senators are Democrat) but don't want a Democrat Governor, especially one who made abortion her top issue? How does that make any sense?
How do you know it was Democrats splitting their ticket? It could have been independents who liked Warnock (or disliked Walker) but preferred Kemp over Abrams. I vote like this all the time (for the person, not the party). In this past election I had a split ticket (three way split because I voted for one independent). You are making the assumption that Democrats crossed party lines instead of considering the nearly 20% of voters in Georgia that identify as independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies