Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2022, 10:12 AM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I completely agree. I can't understand how a 16-25 year old's aren't working.
Why lump a 25 year old grown adult in with a 16 year old high school kid? Most 16 year old kids are in HS full time and being supported by their parents.

My own kids had PT jobs in HS but I can see how other kids might not, especially if they were heavily involved in HS extracurricular activities.

But a 25 year old grown up? Come on. Even if they are still FT students they should have at least a PT job doing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 10:15 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Why lump a 25 year old grown adult in with a 16 year old high school kid? Most 16 year old kids are in HS full time and being supported by their parents.

My own kids had PT jobs in HS but I can see how other kids might not, especially if they were heavily involved in HS extracurricular activities.

But a 25 year old grown up? Come on. Even if they are still FT students they should have at least a PT job doing something.
Okay, my mistake. The chart lumps in 16-19 year olds. Either way, my question still stands. There is no reason why a 16 year old can't work. Especially if they have a car and are driving.

https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpseea08b.htm

Old 12-07-2022, 10:28 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Okay, my mistake. The chart lumps in 16-19 year olds. Either way, my question still stands. There is no reason why a 16 year old can't work. Especially if they have a car and are driving.

Meh. I worked when I was 15-18 but that was because I needed to in order to get the things I wanted. Not all kids fall under that umbrella - like it or not many have affluent parents who prefer they focus on school. A lot of kids this age prefer not to drive as well. That age group having a lower participation doesn't really concern me much.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:32 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
have you heard of the antiwork movement. that’s what it is. talk to anyone who has hired someone born after 1997. not to generalize, but many are obese, entitled, lazy, and are not on a path to secure their future well-being. wealthy boomer grandparents (who they trash) and comfortable genx parents enable them to live rent free and responsibility free.
Not to generalize…

But you just did.

Let’s generalize on the other side. Corporate America, stockholders and employers are greedy and entitled, much more than the working class. All data shows productivity has outpaced total compensation for decades. So they are expecting people to work harder while not increasing the compensation.

If you want people to work for you make it worth their time.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:34 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Men are simply not motivated to work. The reasons for this are complex, but to put it simply, they don't feel that the rewards are worth it anymore. I mean, who can blame them? Men today have no community, no access to productive activities, no opportunities for love and affection, no mentors, and no 'initiation rites.' So what are they doing instead? They are becoming neets, spending 12 hours a day in front of a screen.
I retired somewhat early directly as a result of the pandemic, as presumably did many others. Yes I still have the cognitive capacity to still be working, but fortunately I don't need to at this point. Retirement is nice, because I don't have to report to a boss or put up with a few people I don't want to socialize with. Was it out of laziness? Nope, I still keep myself plenty busy.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:

A high school kid spends their day at school and if they are heavily involved in extra curricular activities they might not be able to hold a PT job, too. There are only so many hours in a day and they need to be able to sleep, too.

But a 25 year old grown up? Why wouldn't they be working?

Old 12-07-2022, 10:39 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
In some cases, the single mother is on public assistance, and the 'baby daddy' lives with her and deals drugs on the side. Too many young women who I work with are enablers and have this kind of setup.
I dont think that lifestyle has any significant impact on the number of unemployed men.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:42 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Meh. I worked when I was 15-18 but that was because I needed to in order to get the things I wanted. Not all kids fall under that umbrella - like it or not many have affluent parents who prefer they focus on school. A lot of kids this age prefer not to drive as well. That age group having a lower participation doesn't really concern me much.
It isn't concerning, just a notable. I started working at the age of 12, and have been working since, 53 now. And for the same reasons, my parents did what they could but if I wanted things I worked for them.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont think that lifestyle has any significant impact on the number of unemployed men.
What do you think is the biggest factor for grown, able bodied men to be unemployed even though there are plenty of available jobs?

How are they subsisting? How is simply not working even an option?

Old 12-07-2022, 10:51 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Never experienced any such thing and don’t know anyone who experiences such nonsense. Proof to this?
My 24-year-old stepson meets most of the poster's qualifications. He works part-time in fast food. He complains that he only makes $11.75 an hour but has declined more hours and leadership training. He is in school, but when he graduates at the end of summer he will have taken almost 7 years to complete his AA. He has no friends outside of his computer. He is self-proclaimed gay but has never had a relationship. He has no interests other than gaming with friends and he probably spends 40-50 hours a week doing that, if not more.

A few weeks ago, there was something important that he needed to act on in regard to purchasing a used car. He said that he would do it the following day because he had a "thing" at 7 PM. That "thing" was gaming with his friends. After our discussion about priorities, he handled his business.

I care about the kid, but he is out at the end of the summer semester. No more excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies