Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2022, 04:33 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It's the difference between being an anthropologist who goes to live among some tribe in the Amazon, dressing like them, eating like them, hunting like them, say for several years... vs. being born into that tribe and living the entirety of one's life in that tribe.

As for the gloom-and-doom, it's overwrought and sensationalistic. Times are tough, but when are they not-tough? What was being said around 1870, when men were leaving farms and going to work in the factories? Doubtless there was much hand-wringing about the decline of the traditional family, the loss of personal dignity and of the owner-operator's pioneer ethos. Yet here we are, 150 years later, with essentially the same lament.
Lol. Nobody said he’s doing the jobs for several years. He performs the jobs, introduces folks to the jobs, expresses the pros and cons, tells what they pay, and promotes trades versus being burdened with college debt and for those that don’t want to go to college. He also helps find jobs.

Folks make their doom and gloom with decisions they make. There’s lots of options to make oneself more valuable and have a better quality of life. It’s called, responsibility, motivation, initiative, etc…, versus crying woah is me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 04:34 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I want to know how regular people - not internet stars, Tik Tok stars, trust fund kids, etc, are able to live without working? How exactly does that work and where can I sign up?
There are plenty of jobs to be had. Maybe they are too precious to work. I suspect they are working on day-by-day jobs when they need beer money. Mom's basement is dry. Maybe getting cash on some side job. I suspect these could be the same ones we hear about with no family or dating prospects. I guess video gaming passes the time. I've seen people turn up as cooks or dishwashers long enough to get paid once or twice and then they are gone. I would like to see a profile of these people. What common characteristics are there? What age, what work history, where living? I have an acquaintance who made a bundle -- big money at a social network company and just dropped out living on his acquired wealth. He isn't 40 yet. This was not a healthy life choice as he became a paranoid alcoholic recluse.

Old 12-06-2022, 04:35 PM

25,777 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
There is a lifetime maximum for Federal welfare of 60 months for families. Federal General Assistance for single people was gone forever decades ago.

There are types of general assistance which are state or local programs, these are not like pension programs, they are basically to help prevent people from dying on the streets. No one would rather live like that. If there really are 7 million people as he claims not working, that is an entirely different thing.

Are they not working because they don't want to? If so why don't they want to?

Are they living off investments? Sugar mammas?

Do they have mental illness? Are they discriminated against?

It's not "chilling" until we know the facts, otherwise it's just a number ... it could actually be a good thing. No one knows until we know the facts.
It's called Social Security Disability, Section 8 housing, SNAP, Food banks, ect..

Moochers can always find a way.

Old 12-06-2022, 04:37 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-...150000193.html

"Mike Rowe warned Monday that the labor force participation rate is the most "chilling" economic metric, citing millions of "able-bodied men" who are not working or looking for jobs."

I honestly don't understand this. The argument down political lines usually goes something like this:

Red: They are getting money from the government. Covid relief is still ongoing, and people would prefer that over working. Its crippling the country.
Blue: Corporations are not paying people what they are entitled to and thus people aren't working for these deplorable places anymore.

The comments under the article are pretty much all over the place, with many loons. Reminding of a forum I know and love :-)

So which is true? maybe a mixture of both? I just have a hard time believing that people won't work and think they can make more from the government. Which I haven't seen. My brother can't work (medical). He gets $800 a month. Even in good times it doesn't let him live all too comfortably at all. Nor should he. He has a 1 bedroom apt in the a "low rent" help area. Has to work with community support often to get meals on wheels, recycled clothing, etc.

I don't know any able bodied/minded males that won't work. I'm sure they are out there though.

Thoughts?
I don’t have the answers but I agree with your assessment. My guess would be the entitlement generation expecting high wages for low inputs, and not wanting to bother when they realize that’s not possible. Sad, lazy, bums. I would love to know the age brackets we’re talking about.

Old 12-06-2022, 04:41 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I don’t have the answers but I agree with your assessment. My guess would be the entitlement generation expecting high wages for low inputs, and not wanting to bother when they realize that’s not possible. Sad, lazy, bums. I would love to know the age brackets we’re talking about.
Why should people take a job that is not worth their time would you take that job? That does not make them lazy that makes them smart.

Old 12-06-2022, 04:42 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
A man should, at a minimum, lead his family. Some would say rule.
You are in the wrong century. Here in the 21st century women are considered actual, capable, thinking human beings who don't need a man to "lead" them anywhere. How about a partnership instead?

Old 12-06-2022, 04:42 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It's called Social Security Disability, Section 8 housing, SNAP, Food banks, ect..

Moochers can always find a way.
Bingo…taxpayers funded moochers

Old 12-06-2022, 04:44 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
There is a lifetime maximum for Federal welfare of 60 months for families. Federal General Assistance for single people was gone forever decades ago.

There are types of general assistance which are state or local programs, these are not like pension programs, they are basically to help prevent people from dying on the streets. No one would rather live like that. If there really are 7 million people as he claims not working, that is an entirely different thing.

Are they not working because they don't want to? If so why don't they want to?

Are they living off investments? Sugar mammas?

Do they have mental illness? Are they discriminated against?

It's not "chilling" until we know the facts, otherwise it's just a number ... it could actually be a good thing. No one knows until we know the facts.
It hasn’t been 5 years since covid. But, even so, the states have their own rule. After sitting around for 5 plus years you’ll then have accumulated enough chronic medical conditions to get on “disability.”
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 12-06-2022, 04:49 PM

25,777 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Why should people take a job that is not worth their time would you take that job? That does not make them lazy that makes them smart.
Some income is better than no income, and its a line on the resume. It's easier to find a job, when you have a job, than when you are unemployed. Gotta start somewhere.

Old 12-06-2022, 04:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,131,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-...150000193.html

"Mike Rowe warned Monday that the labor force participation rate is the most "chilling" economic metric, citing millions of "able-bodied men" who are not working or looking for jobs."

I honestly don't understand this. The argument down political lines usually goes something like this:

Red: They are getting money from the government. Covid relief is still ongoing, and people would prefer that over working. Its crippling the country.
Blue: Corporations are not paying people what they are entitled to and thus people aren't working for these deplorable places anymore.

The comments under the article are pretty much all over the place, with many loons. Reminding of a forum I know and love :-)

So which is true? maybe a mixture of both? I just have a hard time believing that people won't work and think they can make more from the government. Which I haven't seen. My brother can't work (medical). He gets $800 a month. Even in good times it doesn't let him live all too comfortably at all. Nor should he. He has a 1 bedroom apt in the a "low rent" help area. Has to work with community support often to get meals on wheels, recycled clothing, etc.

I don't know any able bodied/minded males that won't work. I'm sure they are out there though.

Thoughts?
People are lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies