Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2022, 02:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. Working those jobs certainly shows understanding of a working man’s life since that’s what he’s showing.

He’s doing the jobs and showing how working men live. He could simply tape working men doing the jobs but he does them himself.

Quite the assumptions. Proof that he’s only doing it 20% of the time? It’s not doom and gloom, he’s predicted much of what’s occurring, especially with college debt.
He gets an understanding of the JOB itself but not of the life of the man who lives that job every day for years.

Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 02:30 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
He gets an understanding of the JOB itself but not of the life of the man who lives that job every day for years.

Come on.
He gets an understanding, does the jobs, shows what it’s like to do the jobs, helps folks in their decision making to pick jobs, educates them on the salary of the jobs, etc… Nobody said he experiences each job for years…and he’s made predictions of what we’re seeing now and especially college debt. Not sure why he hurts your feelings so much, except that’s he’s proven to be right

Old 12-06-2022, 02:53 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Lol. He has more experience in the working world than most anyone, and pushes research and educating oneself to find what suits them in acquiring quality jobs without putting themselves in college debt. You should do some research before making assumptions.

https://mikerowe.com/about-mike/resume/
He's a TV personality saying some statistic is 'chilling'. Chilling to whom?

He just a BS artist as far as I am concerned. 21st century made for TV crises.

We still have plenty of jobs to fill. We have had whole threads about it on C-D.

If people have retired early of their own free will, it's not 'chilling', it's a goal for most people. We should be celebrating for them.

What's chilling to me is companies still get away with discriminating against older workers. The ones who are forced out of a job before they want to go.

This TV celebrity knows nothing about that kind of life, living sometimes paycheck to paycheck ... worried about the mortgage payment or a sick child or getting exposed to toxins on the job ... he is not a working man but he plays one on TV.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:57 PM

13,658 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Lol. Working those jobs certainly shows understanding of a working man’s life since that’s what he’s showing.

He’s doing the jobs and showing how working men live. He could simply tape working men doing the jobs but he does them himself.
It's the difference between being an anthropologist who goes to live among some tribe in the Amazon, dressing like them, eating like them, hunting like them, say for several years... vs. being born into that tribe and living the entirety of one's life in that tribe.

As for the gloom-and-doom, it's overwrought and sensationalistic. Times are tough, but when are they not-tough? What was being said around 1870, when men were leaving farms and going to work in the factories? Doubtless there was much hand-wringing about the decline of the traditional family, the loss of personal dignity and of the owner-operator's pioneer ethos. Yet here we are, 150 years later, with essentially the same lament.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's not about RIF'ing older workers, but it would be interesting to hear about a 2019 layoff that was because of Covid.
Sorry, I was going too fast. I had 2019 in my head for a completely different reason.

I started working from home in April 2020, laid off in June 2020.

My mistake.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:10 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,713 times
Many people are fed up with our capitalistic trickle down system of economics. Oligarchs making billions and paying zero taxes and hoarding real estate while the working class makes $80,000 and lives check to check but can't buy a home. Many white collar and blue collar workers feel the system is rigged against them.

I'm 60+ and still working and I somewhat agree with them. I chose to work with the rigged system rather than fight it, however I understand their plight.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:15 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Wow, is this really where we are as a society now ? Bickering over a person that is just trying to close the skills gap by promoting jobs in the skilled trades, and that smart, hard work, can sometimes pay off ?

It really is telling when people resort to insults, or try to bash something, or someone, especially when only a few posts ago they had no idea who the person this thread is talking about, was.

Feel free to not like this guy, but at least do some research, listen to some of his interviews and podcasts and give legitimate reasons for it. He probably has done more to promote the trades and small businesses, than most of us, and our politicians have.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:27 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
I think it’s a confluence of things. If you don’t work the government gives you food, housing, health care, even tv and a smart phone. On top of that it’s easier to make money here and there online. Then covid hit and people saw how nice it was to not have to go to work yet get their rent payments suspended and have the government send them money in the mail. Now they tell you: okay, go back to work for 50 hours a week and spend half of what you make on gas and taxes. You really can’t blame people for not going back.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 12-06-2022, 03:33 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,021,967 times
I know Millenial men living at mom and dad's playing video games all day. They get pressure from dad, so every year or two they get a job with Uber or Target, then get themselves fired and let dad stew another year or two slumming at mom and dad's. "I have a personality disorder. I have anxiety. I am stressed out. I can't do it. It is too hard. I really tried. I am suffering from depression. Nobody will hire me." Then go in the backyard and toke another blunt of pot.

Every excuse in the book instead of just head down and get it done.

I don't blame them a bit. It is NOT their fault. It is OUR fault.

They are a product of their generation, every bit as much as I am a product of a harder working but more materialistic Baby Boom generation, or my father was the product of the Depression-era hard-working silent generation.

I have no doubt the Millenials I know would be a lot like me if they were born and raised in the 1950s. They would be like my mature, serious father if they had gone through an economic depression and a world war.

It is not the people. It is the culture. Human nature never changes.

The culture is rotten through and through. Thank a 60s hippie.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 12-06-2022 at 03:52 PM..

Old 12-06-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think it’s a confluence of things. If you don’t work the government gives you food, housing, health care, even tv and a smart phone. On top of that it’s easier to make money here and there online. Then covid hit and people saw how nice it was to not have to go to work yet get their rent payments suspended and have the government send them money in the mail. Now they tell you: okay, go back to work for 50 hours a week and spend half of what you make on gas and taxes. You really can’t blame people for not going back.
There is a lifetime maximum for Federal welfare of 60 months for families. Federal General Assistance for single people was gone forever decades ago.

There are types of general assistance which are state or local programs, these are not like pension programs, they are basically to help prevent people from dying on the streets. No one would rather live like that. If there really are 7 million people as he claims not working, that is an entirely different thing.

Are they not working because they don't want to? If so why don't they want to?

Are they living off investments? Sugar mammas?

Do they have mental illness? Are they discriminated against?

It's not "chilling" until we know the facts, otherwise it's just a number ... it could actually be a good thing. No one knows until we know the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies