Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 12:30 PM

4,549 posts, read 2,272,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Don't people in the Tenderloin in SF get free drugs without working?

I don't know, could be I guess. Nothing would surprise me about California. But I want a roof over my head, food, electric, TV, a car, etc... I guess my living standards are too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 12:32 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I want to know how regular people - not internet stars, Tik Tok stars, trust fund kids, etc, are able to live without working? How exactly does that work and where can I sign up?
They're doing gig work as independent contractors.

Old 12-06-2022, 12:34 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
i don't think most of them are looking for work. it's not that hard to locate.

Old 12-06-2022, 12:34 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Hard to find stats on this, but found this article.

Single-income households on the rise

Old 12-06-2022, 12:36 PM

1,579 posts, read 950,511 times
I was thinking maybe some of the older ones are retiring early and I wondered what they mean exactly but "able bodied men," who they are talking about, and how they knew they were "able bodied." When I read the article, it seems to provide an answer, "The report points to reasons like care giving for an elderly parents or child, health-related concerns, retiring early, going to school or joining the military."

When I looked at the comments, it looks like the care giving for a child seems to be the primary reason for the commenters.

The article says men aged 25-54, so some of the older ones (50+) may just have decided to retire early after being laid off too if they were good savers and frugal. I frequent a forum where a fair number of people have retired early.

I am sure some are also just lazy/don't want to work, but I don't assume that about most men.

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Men are simply not motivated to work. The reasons for this are complex, but to put it simply, they don't feel that the rewards are worth it anymore. I mean, who can blame them? Men today have no community, no access to productive activities, no options for love and affection, no mentors, and no 'initiation rites.' So what are they doing instead? They are becoming neets, spending 12 hours a day in front of a screen.
Never experienced any such thing and don’t know anyone who experiences such nonsense. Proof to this?

4,661 posts, read 1,953,608 times
I have several family members i know of and their friends etc who dont really work. They live at home with parents telling others they do it to "help them" while they sit around watching t.v. all day or playing video games. They go get jobs working 4 or 5 months then call in sick most of the time until fired or just quit. That gives them some money for the rest of the time. One of them just mooches off his girlfriend who "loves him". The job market has been so desperate for people at the lower end the last few years that erratic work history doesn't mean a thing, plenty of places willing to hire them the next time they run out of cash.

Old 12-06-2022, 12:38 PM

6,346 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post

I don't know any able bodied/minded males that won't work. I'm sure they are out there though.

Thoughts?
I know them. The worst one are the ones who have jobs but still won't work. You can get away with that a lot especially in government jobs.

Old 12-06-2022, 12:38 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Men are simply not motivated to work. The reasons for this are complex, but to put it simply, they don't feel that the rewards are worth it anymore. I mean, who can blame them? Men today have no community, no access to productive activities, no options for love and affection, no mentors, and no 'initiation rites.' So what are they doing instead? They are becoming neets, spending 12 hours a day in front of a screen.
Poor men. They've had it rough throughout the centuries. They've been at the top of a society that was built for and by them, and completely controlled by them until only very recently. But the poor things have nothing, I tell you!

Women, meanwhile, have been truly oppressed and yet we have managed to survive and keep working, even though we are still paid less then men for the same work. Men have no idea how privileged they are and have always been in this society. I'm so tired of hearing them whine about how hard they have it.

Old 12-06-2022, 12:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
I have several family members i know of and their friends etc who dont really work. They live at home with parents telling others they do it to "help them" while they sit around watching t.v. all day or playing video games. They go get jobs working 4 or 5 months then call in sick most of the time until fired or just quit. That gives them some money for the rest of the time. One of them just mooches off his girlfriend who "loves him". The job market has been so desperate for people at the lower end the last few years that erratic work history doesn't mean a thing, plenty of places willing to hire them the next time they run out of cash.
So no pride, no standards, no initiative, no motivation, etc… Quite the depressing way to live, especially living with one’s parents, but wanting free stuff isn’t surprising. The entitlement is off the charts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies