Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 12:35 PM

10,461 posts, read 4,042,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I don't like the idea of any Congressperson changing allegiance mid-term, in either direction, but I have no control over it. Many of us want moderate Dems and Pubs, but when you vote for either, this can happen.

Anyone the DC swamp hates, I'm, more likely to admire. DC's a cesspool of corruption, & dysfunction.
Agreed 100 percent. THis is why I am still a reluctant fan of Trump. I could care less for the guy, but the fact that he has both sides and the corporate owned media against him makes me want to support him more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 12:50 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Right now, the Dems. will keep her as chair of 2 sub-committees.

So as long as she stays in the middle, she will be able to work.
No it’s so long as she is in lock step with the Dems judicial nominees she will keep her chair.

Old 12-10-2022, 01:20 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Every single accomplishment she named is things the Democratic Party supports, so if you actually view her the way you claim, then whats the policy issue that makes you or her an independent ????????

As others have stated, her bad votes make no sense, and she doesnt even mention them in her list of accomplishments when leaving, so the logic just isnt there.

As others have said, her big votes where she disagreed with the party seem to have more to do with money from donors .
By publicly not aligning herself with either party, she is letting both know that they are going to have to work for her vote, rather than assume. In today's world where both parties are viewed by the other as villians, I think we centrists have to go to the Independent status to be heard by either party. Politics is not a sport, it isn't about whose team wins, both teams are supposed to be working for the good of the general citizens, not special interest groups.

Old 12-10-2022, 01:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
This sounds about right (WSJ):Ms. Sinema voted for President Biden’s priorities some 90% of the time this Congress. Where her independence has mattered in the last two years is preserving the Senate filibuster and opposing the worst elements of the Build Back Better plan, especially its tax-rate increases. That enraged the unforgiving left that now dominates the Democratic Party.

That may explain her decision to leave the party as she looks toward a possible re-election campaign in 2024. She is being threatened with a primary campaign from the left, and her approval rating among Democrats is low. She may figure that she stands a better chance of winning by running as an independent. Democrats could now face the question of whether to support another candidate on their party line, or endorse Ms. Sinema on the independent line. The former might divide center-left voters and help a Republican take the seat,
I would look at what she has in Arizona. You know, the state she represents and will ultimately decide whether she is fit to stay in office or should be on the unemployment line until a lobbying group hires her useless ace. Now this was from an AARP poll in September, a whole three months before this cluster bombshell came out. She is not at all liked by any group of voters. Slate's article on the poll had a great title: Kyrsten Sinema Has Brought the Entire State of Arizona Together (in Thinking She Sucks)
Quote:
These numbers, from a new Arizona poll commissioned by the AARP, are pretty remarkable! Her unpopularity “crosses the aisle” like that of no politician I’ve ever seen. A solid 54 percent of Arizona Republicans don’t like her. And 51 percent of independents don’t like her (her best result!). As for Democrats? Arizonans of Sinema’s putative party simply do not like her, to the tune of 57 percent.
Yeah, she isn't that likely to get voted for a second term especially with this stunt. She maybe back to 80% disfavorable for Democrats.

Old 12-10-2022, 01:27 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Government pricing controls always result in product shortages, so she was doing the people who need those drugs a favor.

There are more productive ways to drive drug prices down than the gov't dictating prices to drug makers.
The drug bill allowed negotiation of prices, not dictation of prices. The best price is one that is negotiated between buyer and seller.

Old 12-10-2022, 02:35 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Her party affiliation change was based on one thing and one thing alone: Re-electability.

She's been on thin ice with AZ Dems for quite awhile now but when she voted down the minimum wage bump bill and tossed in the curtsy, her political career as a Democrat was effectively over. That poll Slate posted pretty much says it all. She's not very well regarded by anyone. This was a clumsy, not very opaque attempt to look like a player when she's pragmatically a dead man walking.

I always enjoy passing along this link to a Mother Jones profile on Sinema from a few years back. It tells you everything you need to know about the nature of her character:
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...yrsten-sinema/

Old 12-10-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Government pricing controls always result in product shortages, so she was doing the people who need those drugs a favor.

There are more productive ways to drive drug prices down than the gov't dictating prices to drug makers.
The problem is drug companies wouldn't allow negotiation in prices period. If Lilly wanted their insulin to be sold $200 per 30 day supply, there was no work around. Senator Sinema allowed that. Sorry, she does not care about her constituents.

Old 12-10-2022, 03:42 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Her party affiliation change was based on one thing and one thing alone: Re-electability.

She's been on thin ice with AZ Dems for quite awhile now but when she voted down the minimum wage bump bill and tossed in the curtsy, her political career as a Democrat was effectively over. That poll Slate posted pretty much says it all. She's not very well regarded by anyone. This was a clumsy, not very opaque attempt to look like a player when she's pragmatically a dead man walking.

I always enjoy passing along this link to a Mother Jones profile on Sinema from a few years back. It tells you everything you need to know about the nature of her character:
The article solidifies what I had suspected. She believes in progressive issues in her heart, but she will abandon those principles (and her disenfranchised constituents) if it will secure her personal political power and income to keep buying Prada shoes and Gucci handbags. Nice... very classy.

Old 12-11-2022, 03:39 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post

The democrats tolerate no independence, no freedom of thought. It's their way or the highway, ever single time. I got the left's venom spewed at me on twitter yesterday because i dared suggest that:

* Masks don't work
* Fauci is a criminal
* I"m not giving up my freedoms to save people from 'long covid'.

I got profanity hurled at me, and name called by the 'hive'.....

Good for Kyrsten. We need more independent politicians.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 12-11-2022 at 03:49 AM..

Old 12-11-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
The article solidifies what I had suspected. She believes in progressive issues in her heart, but she will abandon those principles (and her disenfranchised constituents) if it will secure her personal political power and income to keep buying Prada shoes and Gucci handbags. Nice... very classy.
She is corrupt scum and I fully regret voting for in 2018. At least with McSally, I would have known what I gotten if I voted for her. I expected Sinema to be on the up and up and instead I got a corportist snake who lies to her constituents. No wonder why Democrats had an 80% disfavorability of her in January and likely now again after leaving the party...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies