Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 04:54 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

This is sad. Being a mail carrier is a job that will take you to some very rough places. And Milwaukee is one of the most dangerous cities in the USA. It's been on the decline since the 1980s. People who word for UPS or FedEx could get killed in certain areas. It's not unheard of for truck drivers to get murdered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Exactly. And a follow up question, what possible difference would an EXTREMELY robust police department have on this case? What do blamers expect a police department to be able to DO, that his police department isn't doing? This is a postman delivering the mail right out in the open, who was shot by a lone gunman who ran off.

As it is, they have a photo of the car and video of the gunman, so it's somewhat likely this sad case will be solved.
Being a mail carrier is a major dangerous job than it looks. You have to deal with extreme weather conditions. You have to deal with DOGS, which can and do bite mail carriers. And you also have to deliver to places you normally wouldn't even consider living in. This includes very dangerous neighborhoods.

No amount of police presence would have prevented Aundre Cross from getting murdered. He could've been shot and killed from within the home he was delivering to. He could have even been shot delivering mail to a place of business. Aundre Cross isn't even the first mail carrier to be murdered on the job. Murder was the 2nd leading cause of death for mail carriers during the 1980s. Traffic accidents ranked #1. While 57 percent of those murders were co-worker on co-worker, that leaves 40 percent who were murdered by those not employed by the USPS. Mail carriers getting murdered by some thug has happened before.

Old 12-11-2022, 05:20 PM

This hits home in another way. I occasionally deliver DoorDash for some extra cash, in addition to my regular job. I've delivered to neighborhoods I wouldn't visit, day or night. I delivered McDonalds one night. It never fails. Every time I have picked up a McDonalds DoorDash order, I end up delivering it to some sketchy apartment complex. One particular apartment complex I made sure to have a pistol with me. The hallways were dark, thanks to the lights not working properly. I could have been jumped and murdered right there. Where I live, we have a robust police force. None of that "defund the police" stuff here. However, even here, there are certain areas the police won't go unless there is a shooting. I happened to be delivering to one of those places the police rarely frequented. However, there are a few places where the police frequent often, but shootings still sometimes happen, as well as drugs and prostitution.

This is why I keep a gun in my car.

Old 12-11-2022, 05:35 PM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Being a mail carrier is a major dangerous job than it looks. You have to deal with extreme weather conditions. You have to deal with DOGS, which can and do bite mail carriers. And you also have to deliver to places you normally wouldn't even consider living in. This includes very dangerous neighborhoods.

No amount of police presence would have prevented Aundre Cross from getting murdered. He could've been shot and killed from within the home he was delivering to. He could have even been shot delivering mail to a place of business. Aundre Cross isn't even the first mail carrier to be murdered on the job. Murder was the 2nd leading cause of death for mail carriers during the 1980s. Traffic accidents ranked #1. While 57 percent of those murders were co-worker on co-worker, that leaves 40 percent who were murdered by those not employed by the USPS. Mail carriers getting murdered by some thug has happened before.
While I don't anybody who was killed on duty, it has happened in a neighboring district when a Nazi after shooting up a Jewish daycare killed a Filipino American letter carrier. I have known plenty who were robbed, maybe most who worked back in the government check carrying days. And I know a couple who were disabled and early retirement due to assaults.

I have been among the lucky of my generation, although my truck has been hit and emptied twice

Old 12-11-2022, 05:58 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Democrats are making our cities no go zones. Nice job idiots.

Old 12-11-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Democrats are making our cities no go zones. Nice job idiots.
This could have happened in any American cities. Plenty of no-go zones in places like Fort Worth and Jacksonville.

Man pleads guilty to robbing postal worker and taking said person's mail. It could have easily ended in a murder. That was Fort Worth.
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/cr...a-f076768b045a

Old 12-12-2022, 06:27 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
RIP, can't even deliver mail without fearing for your lives these days.

How's that defund the police nonsense working out for them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z2qhMNKDlw

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/10/us/mi...led/index.html

Another deadly record for Milwaukee

New Mayor, Same Defunding Of The Police
1st they went after the police, now its mailmen!

Dems, keep up the "good" work!

Old 12-12-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
When I worked in KC, one public housing complex was so dangerous the PO would not deliver mail there. The government finally demolished it.
I had MORE guns and knives pointed at me while working in the public housing complexes and the surrounding areas, areas my Grandmother and uncles and aunts USED to live in, then I did in 2 tours in 'Nam!

Old 12-12-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Keep the partisan stuff out of this. Delivering mail and packages has alot of risk to it. This could have happened in any cities, Democratic-ran or Republican-ran.

Jacksonville, FL, this year. Actually, this was last month.

A man driving a semi-truck was shot by someone climbing into the truck. And it happened in a supermarket parking lot.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...-the-hospital/

There are ghettos in so many cities. People who deliver stuff, who have to drive everywhere, in many cases it takes them to the bad part of town.

Fort Worth, TX.
-Food delivery driver was murdered in 2021. It's 2022 and the murder still hasn't been solved.
https://www.fox4news.com/news/hamzah...ver-fort-worth
"Keep the partisan stuff out of this."

You, of ALL posters, have room to talk!!!!

"There are ghettos in so many cities"

And the vast MAJORITY are DEM RUN!

Old 12-12-2022, 06:56 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,053,602 times
Quote:
Keep the partisan stuff out of this. Delivering mail and packages has alot of risk to it. This could have happened in any cities, Democratic-ran or Republican-ran.

Jacksonville, FL, this year. Actually, this was last month.

A man driving a semi-truck was shot by someone climbing into the truck. And it happened in a supermarket parking lot.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...-the-hospital/

There are ghettos in so many cities. People who deliver stuff, who have to drive everywhere, in many cases it takes them to the bad part of town.

Fort Worth, TX.
-Food delivery driver was murdered in 2021. It's 2022 and the murder still hasn't been solved.
https://www.fox4news.com/news/hamzah...ver-fort-worth
And elsewhere around the world, like this case in 2005 in France. The article is in French. https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/200...a-tournee.html

And let's not forget how many postal workers was attacked by animals like this one in 2016 in Laval near Montreal. https://www.ohscanada.com/mail-carri...ntreal-suburb/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies