Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2023, 04:25 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If segregation was considered "the natural order of things", why were there so many laws to enforce it? Why was any kind of interracial mingling legally prohibited? Why did so many states have laws against interracial marriage? Why were people who attempted to mix and mingle with no regard to race physically terrorized for doing so?

I don't think it was "the natural order of things". I think this was about "keep those people away from the rest of society".
Those laws and prohibitions came about because so many white people thought segregation was the natural order. They passed the laws to force their will on others.

Not all white people felt that way, which is why the Civil Rights Act eventually prevailed.

Old 01-20-2023, 04:26 PM

1,224 posts, read 518,407 times
Quote:
Growing up, I was the kid that never could "self-segregate". I wasn't "Black enough" to sit with the Black kids (and I'm not talking about skin color). And there were some White kids I didn't get along with. I sat with whoever liked me and accepted me. Being "tribal" didn't help me at all. When you don't really fit in anywhere, you either learn how to be a lone wolf, or you go where you're accepted.

This is why I don't think "I only want to live in a predominantly Black area". I've never thought like that.
I kinda did the same exclusively among white groups, sports vs. led zeppelin, preppy vs pot head rock and roll. Although later a lot of blacks moved into my hood and then I saw the same there relative to how should I behave. Thankfully I choose for the best.

Old 01-20-2023, 04:29 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
CRT:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgo...l-race-theory/

"Scholars and activists who discuss CRT are not arguing that white people living now are to blame for what people did in the past. They are saying that white people living now have a moral responsibility to do something about how racism still impacts all of our lives today. Policies attempting to suffocate this much-needed national conversation are an obstacle to the pursuit of an equitable democracy."

We aren't to blame, but we are supposed to have a "moral responsibility to do something...........". My family didn't have slaves, nor are they racists, nor do they or did they support racism. My family and extended family were farmers and factory workers that worked really hard for what they had, and yet, we were in the lower economic class, not welfare, never welfare class.

It is time that everyone that considers themselves a "victim" get off their butts and make an effort to change their lives, and not depend on the rest of it to do it, and that means everyone of every country, race, religion, etc.!

People that support this have too much time on their hands, so maybe they could volunteer to work with the "victims" that don't have a clue where to start.

I am sick and tired of hearing about how the white people have privilege, maybe the wealthy in the liberal dives, but not the people that I know, and that includes a wealth of different races. We live in a military town, and represent all the races of the world here!!!

Obama started all of this crap, and what he know about being black being mixed race with an absentee father, raised by white grandparents in Kansas??? NOTHING!

Old 01-20-2023, 04:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Except she was the tenant
right

you already said that

maybe she was asking you to leave

Old 01-20-2023, 04:35 PM

57,309 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Perhaps this will help you since you don’t like DeSantis being able to make the decision and you have no idea that he didn’t see the curriculum

AP African American Studies course rejected as ‘contrary to Florida law,’ state says
FDOE: State is willing to rethink course if changes are made

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/po...aw-state-says/
Violates state law according to who, really short on specifics. How many other AP courses lack educational value, European history, French and German culture, studio art.....?

Why is a governor paying this much detail to high school curriculum.

Quote:
Without a detailed explanation, Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration has rejected a new Advanced Placement course on African American studies for high school students, broadly claiming it violates state law and that it “lacks educational value.” When asked for specifics on the content, the Florida Department of Education did not respond, making it unclear what items the state believes are unlawful or objectionable. The course would be offered by the College Board, which administers the Advanced Placement program and the SAT exam.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...271362032.html

Old 01-20-2023, 04:37 PM

1,224 posts, read 518,407 times
Quote:
If segregation was considered "the natural order of things", why were there so many laws to enforce it? Why was any kind of interracial mingling legally prohibited? Why did so many states have laws against interracial marriage? Why were people who attempted to mix and mingle with no regard to race physically terrorized for doing so?

I don't think it was "the natural order of things". I think this was about "keep those people away from the rest of society".
Because politicians saw advantages of such things. Among white immigrant groups to the USA the differences were so vast that in no way does it even measure relative to virtually no discrimination against non Europeans post 1965 Hart Cellar. We look at all of this under a tiny frame of reference relative to thousands of years of recorded history. BTW now the politicians, and global corporations, see the same under the banner of anti whiteness.....which is really anti constitution or controlling your own border.
Anti Whiteness is Anti Constitution.

Honestly if they were honest brokers it would be better. But you have to understand that what is going on the USA has never been attempted before relative to literally people from all over the world flooding here.

It's never ever been attempted.

Can Kroger, Wal Mart, or T Mobile sell their stuff to folks in 3rd world countries? No. Can they do that here? Yes.

Old 01-20-2023, 04:43 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subjective Opinion View Post
Ridiculous. Quit acting like every culture hasn't had slavery at some point. Slavery is ugly. But white people are certainly not alone in its history. I'd say the black folks who sold their own people out is up there, no?

And newsflash, we all know about slavery. Nobody is keeping it a secret. Kids learn about it one way or another. What we DONT need is giving kids another reason to be divided. Victim and oppressor crap doesn't fly SIXTY years later. So hop off your little hate whitey wagon and get real.
Hmm,African American studies is the reason:

I know that Black GI were rejected from using the GI BILL
Therefore,they were not allowed to participate in buying homes when they came back from the war
This set black people back from owning homes,and it effects black americans TO THIS DAY!

Black widows were rejected from getting Survivors benefits.

Black people receive harsher prison sentences than whites for the same crimes.

Black women were forced to work. There is an ordinance from the late 1800's where white women were saying that black housewives and single black women did not want to work as servants for them. Apparently,white women did not like seeing black women have any lesiure,so they forced them to work.

Old 01-20-2023, 04:43 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
right

you already said that

maybe she was asking you to leave
is your pool really that shallow?....LOL

I was talking to her about renting another apartment...in her building...to someone

we've had some tenants for a very long time....it's a good thing to get their input on new tenants

...and not rock their boat

Old 01-20-2023, 04:45 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Violates state law according to who, really short on specifics. How many other AP courses lack educational value, European history, French and German culture, studio art.....?

Why is a governor paying this much detail to high school curriculum.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...271362032.html
Did you read the article? If it wasn’t against state law it wouldn’t be being banned, and if changes are made it will get looked at.

Quite the deflection. What do European history, French and German culture, studio art…., have to do with banning CRT and not teaching that all white folks were racist back in the day?

Lol at thinking you should determine how much time a Governor spends on anything. Funny how you don’t question Dems spending 7+ years on a goosechase. He’s simply doing what others are doing across the country in banning CRT.

Old 01-20-2023, 04:47 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
We forget that a lot of of the US is racially separated when you consider the percentage of minorities that live across Middle America. For instance we get the impression from TV and the internet that Black folk are everywhere but in reality there are entire states with so few black folk that they essentially don't exist and are to seen much if at all by people living on those states that are not in the Capitol or main city of the state.

I notice this all the time when I travel because I like to drive to places around the country and it used to surprise me that I would be the only black person I would see for days. But I started to realize I might be the only Black person they have seen for years. Kids can finish high school and never have a class with a black person so there is no interaction at all. Their entire perception of a black person may just come from TV news about Chicago, sports, and the internet which always seem to show the worst of everyone. This can occur in inner cities like Chicago and Baltimore with Black folk as well and the issue of perception of a group outside the community also get skewed for the same reasons.
I got to see this up close and personally. I recently took a road trip out west. Once I got to a certain point I saw fewer and fewer Black people. Texas has alot of Black people. However, a majority of Blacks are concentrated in the major metropolitan areas and in eastern Texas. In western Texas and the Texas Panhandle, I saw very few Blacks, even in Amarillo. New Mexico, I saw maybe 1 or 2 Black people the entire time I was there. And I went to Las Cruces (population 100,000 and it's next to a military base). There are about 45 million African-Americans in the USA. A majority of African-Americans live in the southern USA. But even in some southern states, the distribution of African-Americans isn't even.

There were times when I traveled that I felt the same way. And not just driving out west. I currently live in Alabama, and there are parts of this state where a person can graduate high school without having any class with a Black person. Alabama is 29% Black. You would think that would be hard to believe. However, there are places I've been to in Alabama where I didn't see any Black people, mostly in the northeastern part of the state. There are several places that are zero percent Black. Some places were zero percent Black until the 2020 census.

Tennessee works the same way. It's one of the Blackest states in America (close to 20%). However, it's Black population has a lopsided distribution. The Blackest region in Tennessee is western Tennessee. Middle Tennessee, where Nashville is located, ranks 2nd. And Nashville being the epicenter of country music, it's easy to forget that there are 4 HBCUs in Nashville. Nashville being a country music magnet is so easy to promote. It's easy to ignore the contributions of Black culture in Nashville. Oprah went to Tennessee State University, a Nashville-based HBCU. In Eastern Tennessee, particularly the mountainous areas, there are places where people can go from kindergarten and high school and not have a single Black classmate.

Quote:
It is easy to forget that Black folk are only 14% of the population and its a huge country. This is why perceptions of black people as living in Inner City or Urban or Ghetto areas is so pervasive today even during decades of trends showing Black people moving to the suburbs and their children having no clue what Urban or inner city living is.

Vast parts of the country are literally big stereotype echo chambers with no real life representations to curb those stereotypes. Still a very segregated country BOTH in terms of race and Wealth, but we don't really focus on that Wealth part and to be honest, its a bigger factor than race from what I have seen traveling the country.
It's easy to do not only because of geographic segregation. It's also easy to forget due to geographic dispersal. The majority of Blacks don't live in the inner city/urban areas. Black people have been moving to the suburbs for decades. With so many suburban places to move to, Black people can spread out. Being 14% of the population, we are still a minority. We're going to suburban areas. And many African-Americans live in rural areas, specifically in the South. However, it's much easier to go to urban areas.

When people tend to stay in their regions, they have no idea how segregated American society is. They don't have much to judge it against. And even within their own regions. Many people don't go out and see things for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.