Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2023, 06:11 PM

13,257 posts, read 22,986,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Even if... and I agree there is some reactionary outcome for Disney's interfering with the legislative process, So... you're good with a corporation who is self governing?
I’ll note that every developer-controlled HOA is also a ‘corporation that is self-governing’ and there are literally thousands of those types of neighborhoods in Florida. And the HOAs have far broader powers than the special taxing districts do. It’s why my suburblet went special taxing district instead of development-wide mandatory HOA when the discussion came up 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
And questions lead to teaching it. Children can be taught it at home. You ignore that most voters don’t want it taught in schools.

Why do you want gender identity and sexual orientation taught to young children?
Disney’s problem was never really about the elementary ed instruction. That’s a smokescreen.

It was always about Florida government attempts to restrict free speech in workforce training- you aren’t allowed to do a diversity training where you make your straight white Christian employees feel bad about anything.

Under Florida law (currently on hold as it makes its way through the courts) Disney could be sued by an employee by requiring diversity training that said it was wrong for an employee to tell a gay couple inside the park that they were sinners who would go to hell.

Which is totally contrary to Disney’s strategic plan ot maximize revenue by making all families whether gay or straight feel comfortable and welcome in their parks.

Old 04-01-2023, 06:16 PM

40,998 posts, read 18,372,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I’ll note that every developer-controlled HOA is also a ‘corporation that is self-governing’ and there are literally thousands of those types of neighborhoods in Florida. And the HOAs have far broader powers than the special taxing districts do. It’s why my suburblet went special taxing district instead of development-wide mandatory HOA when the discussion came up 20 years ago.

Disney’s problem was never really about the elementary ed instruction. That’s a smokescreen.

It was always about Florida government attempts to restrict free speech in workforce training- you aren’t allowed to do a diversity training where you make your straight white Christian employees feel bad about anything.

Under Florida law (currently on hold as it makes its way through the courts) Disney could be sued by an employee by requiring diversity training that said it was wrong for an employee to tell a gay couple inside the park that they were sinners who would go to hell.

Which is totally contrary to Disney’s strategic plan ot maximize revenue by making all families whether gay or straight feel comfortable and welcome in their parks.
Lol at smokescreen, and this response has zero to do with the post of mine you quoted, while ignoring the question.

Why do you want gender identity and sexual orientation taught to young children?

Old 04-01-2023, 06:30 PM

1,907 posts, read 675,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They weren’t “teaching” sexual orientation, DeSantis banned teachers from even fielding questions on sexual identity. There is no sex education in the lower grades. This was all contrived, but a teacher could now be fired for answering even a basic question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Because teachers can be fired for answering a simple question on gender identity. They were not teaching sexual orientation or grooming as he claimed.
The solution is just as basic and simple: For every question about gender identity, refer the child back to his/her parents. The teach can even say that there are legal barriers to answering such question, but most likely the child would not understand that anyway, so just tell the child to ask his/her parents. Why is it that difficult to accept that parents wants boundaries?

Old 04-01-2023, 08:21 PM

15,075 posts, read 9,960,750 times
A community Like The Villages has a special agreement with the developer and the local government (counties) to manage the creation of infrastructure. When a large developer builds a community, it's best to do it as a project during the construction (called backbone) rather than after the fact. Eventually the corporation releases control and turns it over to a newly formed municipal government. That's the intent, that's how it works. Sometime the district keeps operating a portion of the newly built system, like water and sewer via agreement with the local counties.

Disney doesn't want that to happen, they want control... I get it. It's gonna cost them a lot of money. The corporation wants to keep their 'special status. I guess Disney doesn't want to pay like other tourist venues.

It will be settled in the courts. Disney will eventually lose. It's a no brainer. No corporation can or SHOULD govern in perpetuity.

Old 04-01-2023, 08:32 PM

21,991 posts, read 15,802,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
A community Like The Villages has a special agreement with the developer and the local government (counties) to manage the creation of infrastructure. When a large developer builds a community, it's best to do it as a project during the construction (called backbone) rather than after the fact. Eventually the corporation releases control and turns it over to a newly formed municipal government. That's the intent, that's how it works. Sometime the district keeps operating a portion of the newly built system, like water and sewer via agreement with the local counties.

Disney doesn't want that to happen, they want control... I get it. It's gonna cost them a lot of money. The corporation wants to keep their 'special status. I guess Disney doesn't want to pay like other tourist venues.

It will be settled in the courts. Disney will eventually lose. It's a no brainer. No corporation can or SHOULD govern in perpetuity.
The Villages have been around for forty years. Disney is being treated differently than any of the 1800+ special tax districts in Florida even though they are one of the largest employers directly and indirectly probably the largest employer. Central Florida tourism would collapse without Disney, yet DeSantis went after them for daring to speak.

Old 04-01-2023, 08:35 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol at smokescreen, and this response has zero to do with the post of mine you quoted, while ignoring the question.

As per their first sentence, they're kindly pointing out that your question is a tangent, and not the main issue at hand.

To answer your question you've been desperately and pesteringly asking: I think they should be older than 3rd grade, but it's to help cultivate them into accepting and non-judgemental members of society that understand their beliefs may not be shared by others. This is my opinion, and based on my loose interpretation of your vague question.

Now, as I'm unwilling to go down that rabbit-hole, let's stick to Disney vs Florida.

Old 04-01-2023, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The Villages have been around for forty years. Disney is being treated differently than any of the 1800+ special tax districts in Florida even though they are one of the largest employers directly and indirectly probably the largest employer. Central Florida tourism would collapse without Disney, yet DeSantis went after them for daring to speak.
Except Disney isn’t going anywhere so no worries on Central Florida tourism collapsing

Old 04-01-2023, 08:37 PM

641 posts, read 326,793 times
Ronnie got slam dunked. It will be interesting to see how he will respond. If he does nothing, he will be humiliated during the debates (he will be eaten alive by Trump assuming Trump doesn’t go to jail).

Let’s see if he makes a move.

Old 04-01-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
As per their first sentence, they're kindly pointing out that your question is a tangent, and not the main issue at hand.

To answer your question you've been desperately and pesteringly asking: I think they should be older than 3rd grade, but it's to help cultivate them into accepting and non-judgemental members of society that understand their beliefs may not be shared by others.

Now, as I'm unwilling to go down that rabbit-hole, let's stick to Disney vs Florida.
My question was directed at a poster that responded to me, so before jumping in you should check back to know what you’re talking about, same as they did but don’t want to answer.

And that can be taught at home versus in school where the majority of parents don’t want it taught.

You can stick to anything you like, and the thread is about Disney and DeSantis

Old 04-01-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
Ronnie got slam dunked. It will be interesting to see how he will respond. If he does nothing, he will be humiliated during the debates (he will be eaten alive by Trump assuming Trump doesn’t go to jail).

Let’s see if he makes a move.
So slam dunked that he stripped Disney of their special tax status, and he’s obviously going to do something about Disneys board move.

Lol at because Trump deflection, and DeSantis and Florida having any bearing on the debates, but when did DeSantis say he’s running for POTUS, and please be specific?

Because Trump won’t sniff prison and DeSantis simply hurts your feelings while an overwhelming number of folks here love him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies