Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2023, 11:19 AM

15,078 posts, read 9,960,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Per your linked article:

"They’re state entities, subject to the same transparency and public records laws as other branches of government. They fall into two general categories, which can determine how much influence local municipalities have over their operations."

"In the case of Disney, some conservative leaders have said their motivation for dissolving the special district is not political. Others have been more upfront about wanting to punish the company for taking a stand against a bill banning instruction about sexual orientation and gender identity in younger school grades, and limiting the instruction in others."

"“Disney betrayed us, and the corporation that Walt Disney started — which was a beacon of family values — has now been perverted by a woke mob of liberal extremists,” Rep. Jackie Toledo, R-Tampa, said last month."

So your own link reflects that nothing about the district was illegal and the governments action to take over Reedy Creek was motivated for many as punishment for speaking out against their bill....
IT's not illegal. Disney is acting like a quasi government and needs to stay in it's own lane. What they attempted to do was UNDERMINE a duly elected government.

The article is a balanced overview and that's why I posted it. Also... the whole idea of special districts was being re-examined BEFORE Disney pooped in their mess kit.

"They're not going to have their own government," said DeSantis. "Disney is going to pay its fair share of taxes and Disney is going to honor the debt." The district itself has the ability to levy ad valorem taxes at any millage rate than the neighboring counties and to issue bonds to fund construction and other kind of projects within the boundaries. This includes roads, utilities, even fire departments.
The district is also exempt from building codes and permit requirements that would be present in the counties next door.
These are some of the SAVINGS special tax district enjoy, but one of the possible changes is that Disney will now have to go through the local counties to do things, to build projects, to pay for things that it normally would do on its own.
Disney will continue to pay taxes. Disney World has paid state and local taxes. The district wasn't a tax exemption for Disney in that sense, it was a "Special Taxing District".

Old 04-02-2023, 11:28 AM

40,998 posts, read 18,372,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
IT's not illegal. Disney is acting like a quasi government and needs to stay in it's own lane. What they attempted to do was UNDERMINE a duly elected government.

The article is a balanced overview and that's why I posted it. Also... the whole idea of special districts was being re-examined BEFORE Disney pooped in their mess kit.

"They're not going to have their own government," said DeSantis. "Disney is going to pay its fair share of taxes and Disney is going to honor the debt." The district itself has the ability to levy ad valorem taxes at any millage rate than the neighboring counties and to issue bonds to fund construction and other kind of projects within the boundaries. This includes roads, utilities, even fire departments.
The district is also exempt from building codes and permit requirements that would be present in the counties next door.
These are some of the SAVINGS special tax district enjoy, but one of the possible changes is that Disney will now have to go through the local counties to do things, to build projects, to pay for things that it normally would do on its own.
Disney will continue to pay taxes. Disney World has paid state and local taxes. The district wasn't a tax exemption for Disney in that sense, it was a "Special Taxing District".
Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Imagine the screaming if it were flipped....

Disney was some religious organization.....pushing religion

(it is)
Bingo…the hypocrisy is priceless…because DeSantis

Old 04-02-2023, 12:04 PM

19,332 posts, read 17,288,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Awww , Dems don’t like a decision a Republican made that they feel betters an area. Such hypocrisy when they don’t like something but expect others to accept something that they don’t agree with.

Link doesn’t work
Corrected link from post#304 : https://www.tampabay.com/news/florid...eek-explained/

What I don't like is political retribution and acting like a spoiled child, doesn't matter which party is at fault but this time is DeSantis and his cronie....

Old 04-02-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Corrected link from post#304 : https://www.tampabay.com/news/florid...eek-explained/

What I don't like is political retribution and acting like a spoiled child, doesn't matter which party is at fault but this time is DeSantis and his cronie....
Not everybody likes everything, and you especially don’t like it since it’s because Desantis, even if it is better for the state…as we’ve seen Dems overturn legislation because Trump, and they were greatly in favor of it, even if it wasn’t/isn’t better for the country.

Old 04-02-2023, 12:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,714,657 times
Quote:
Nah, and the majority of voters don’t want it taught in schools, so it won’t be, and this certainly isn’t limited to Florida. You just don’t like it.

Why are you so in favor of teaching sexual orientation and gender identity to young children?
Simply wow.

I merely pointed out the tactics used by people to manipulate people into thinking they've done something, when they haven't. Like I said, they think them fools.

From that you jump to what I think about what children should be taught?

Your conclusion is foolish and illogical, but nice try at trying to flip my statement.

Old 04-02-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Simply wow.

I merely pointed out the tactics used by people to manipulate people into thinking they've done something, when they haven't. Like I said, they think them fools.

From that you jump to what I think about what children should be taught?

Your conclusion is foolish and illogical, but nice try at trying to flip my statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Banning something that doesn't exist is a ploy to play to a certain group of voters. The powers that did the banning, are taking these voters for fools.
You think them fools because you don’t like it.

You still haven’t proven it doesn’t exist.

I simply asked what you think of it and didn’t answer the question.

There’s no flipping, you just don’t like what’s being done.

Old 04-02-2023, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 187 times
Where the Hell do you get this imaginary bull from?▼▼
"IF there is one thing the woke left cannot tolerate on any level is poor and minorities living anywhere near them."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke
: aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)
The "WOKE LEFT" are the people who embrace and LIVE with society's most vulnerable! Please don't confuse the "WOKE LEFT" of being
MAGA Cult hypocrites,
WHOM DO NOTHING FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE EXCEPT HATE, LIE, and CAUSE a CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS every day!
BTW, I have petitioned for homeless bungalows in my town, and live very, very close to the people that need the help the most. Being able to visit, bring meals, clothes, and transportation, and sometimes just talk, because all people need to be heard.
WHAT have you, the UNwoke done?

Old 04-02-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

"They're not going to have their own government," said DeSantis. "Disney is going to pay its fair share of taxes and Disney is going to honor the debt
." The district itself has the ability to levy ad valorem taxes at any millage rate than the neighboring counties and to issue bonds to fund construction and other kind of projects within the boundaries. This includes roads, utilities, even fire departments.
There has been no accusations of them not paying their taxes or of allowing their debt to go unpaid:

Yes they did have the authority to levy ad valorem taxes and did so at a higher rate to pay for projects in the district, would you rather the counties they reside in and pay taxes to be held accountable to pay for the infrastructure projects?

Show evidence that they have been exempt from building codes or failed to get the appropriate permits for a construction project, you can't.

Admit that this is political retribution as we have seen in other parts of the state, Disney acted under the Florida Law(s) that the district was created under, there were never accusations that they didn't.

Old 04-02-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Not everybody likes everything, and you especially don’t like it since it’s because Desantis, even if it is better for the state…as we’ve seen Dems overturn legislation because Trump, and they were greatly in favor of it, even if it wasn’t/isn’t better for the country.
And now his flunkies are in charge of an empty shell which is in charge of the roads and fire stations, that's , it. Disney 1 DeSantis 0.......

Old 04-02-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
And now his flunkies are in charge of an empty shell which is in charge of the roads and fire stations, that's , it. Disney 1 DeSantis 0.......
Priceless deflection and lol at an empty shell. Just another Republican hurting your feelings because you don’t like what they’re doing.

Disney sure got him by losing their special tax status. The new board is just a blip, but keep hoping they take the meanie Republican down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies