Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 04:36 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,136,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
We have a cultural problem that gun laws can never solve.
/thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 06:24 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,150,448 times
Prosecution and mandatory long sentences for anyone using a gun in a crime would help, but Democrat prosecutors refuse to do it. Most mass shootings are gang members that already have long rap sheets and just get probation over and over.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:31 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,598,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Stop gaslighting. Just because some people focus on the criminal committing the crime, instead of the tool used, doesn't mean we don't acknowledge that crime in this country is escalating, and something needs to be done about it.
Yes, that something is locking people up for violent crimes. Period. Do it for the small crimes so these kids get intervention before they escalate to capital murder and life without parole or the death penalty. I see so many of these young gang bangers getting let out on felony bonds in Houston and eventually they get the wrong message, that our patience is limitless. Wrong. If they commit murders they’re going to go to prison. Don’t let it get that far, for their sakes as well as ours.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:41 PM

29,561 posts, read 14,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yes, that something is locking people up for violent crimes. Period. Do it for the small crimes so these kids get intervention before they escalate to capital murder and life without parole or the death penalty. I see so many of these young gang bangers getting let out on felony bonds in Houston and eventually they get the wrong message, that our patience is limitless. Wrong. If they commit murders they’re going to go to prison. Don’t let it get that far, for their sakes as well as ours.
Exactly.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:58 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,408,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Prosecution and mandatory long sentences for anyone using a gun in a crime would help, but Democrat prosecutors refuse to do it. Most mass shootings are gang members that already have long rap sheets and just get probation over and over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Well stated.

But I say one step further. Not just prison time, but hard labor for those who require it. It's absolutely puzzling why Democrats are so soft on crime. We need to bring back more prison farms.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:08 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Not totally. I get that deer need to be culled. I get that some societies hunt for subsistence. I do not get the pictures of some guy in Africa posing next to the rhino he killed. He’s not going to eat it. It’s not an animal that needs culling due to numbers. He did it for his own selfish pleasure. I find that disgusting.

And I’m not anti gun in I want all guns banned. Never said that, never will. But we need solutions to our gun violence. And it’s not to make schools into armed camps where kids are virtual prisoners. All that would do is make the next mass shooter wait until recess or the dismissal bell when they come outside.

There is not 1 solution. It’s many things that need to change, but some refuse to even acknowledge that gun violence is a problem so we’ll continue with our useless hopes and prayers.
San Diego went that route over 10 years ago. The kids are completely used to it. There is a cop sitting either in his car or walking campus. My kids even said they feel safe with a cop on campus.

They are hardly prisoners. If you feel that paranoid home school your kids.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:20 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,150,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
San Diego went that route over 10 years ago. The kids are completely used to it. There is a cop sitting either in his car or walking campus. My kids even said they feel safe with a cop on campus.

They are hardly prisoners. If you feel that paranoid home school your kids.
There is a school district not far from me that has had a sign up for around 20 years. It says that some staff will be armed at all times. They have not had any problems.

I still say if a school district cannot afford protection, there would be an unlimited number of retired police and military who would volunteer to guard their schools. An armed guard would not scare our local children. I think it would make them feel safer.

Old 04-13-2023, 08:26 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
There is a school district not far from me that has had a sign up for around 20 years. It says that some staff will be armed at all times. They have not had any problems.

I still say if a school district cannot afford protection, there would be an unlimited number of retired police and military who would volunteer to guard their schools. An armed guard would not scare our local children. I think it would make them feel safer.
Colleges have cops, HS and JH should too.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:15 AM

78,543 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Latest one, shooting between some guys at a house party for spring break.

All teen agers...gangs recruit young.

https://abc11.com/goldsboro-shooting...shot/13119274/

Quote:
Colebrook said it's crucial that local leaders get more people involved to tackle the gun violence issue.

"It's always the same people at the same meetings talking about the same thing," he said. "So we have to get other people to the table."
Well yes, you can have all the community activist meetings you want but meanwhile the gangs are recruiting and the kids are running around with no supervision.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:43 AM

29,561 posts, read 14,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Latest one, shooting between some guys at a house party for spring break.

All teen agers...gangs recruit young.

https://abc11.com/goldsboro-shooting...shot/13119274/

Well yes, you can have all the community activist meetings you want but meanwhile the gangs are recruiting and the kids are running around with no supervision.
Had four shot over night here in Detroit. Involving 14 year olds.

I really think more background checks, safe storage laws and an AR ban will solve these problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies