Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 05:08 PM

43,634 posts, read 18,687,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Get a grip, the discussion is how good GOP farmers in Florida are being hurt by their Governors knee jerk action. They are the ones who was using the undocumented workers not the Democrats just like the Animal Processing Facilities in Iowa that got busted last month for underage, undocumented worker, solid GOP voters.
Well gee if the Fed lets illegals into the country then why not hire them for cash under the table.
When the Fed does a bust, the company pays a fine and hires the illegals all back to go at it again.
No one ever goes to jail.

It's a win/win for both government and business.

It's a loss for Americans though who want to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 05:09 PM

8,455 posts, read 3,027,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Get a grip, the discussion is how good GOP farmers in Florida are being hurt by their Governors knee jerk action. They are the ones who was using the undocumented workers not the Democrats just like the Animal Processing Facilities in Iowa that got busted last month for underage, undocumented worker, solid GOP voters.
Hiring illegal aliens is against the law. DeSantis is doing what your bonehead democrat traitor governors and mayors should be doing.

Locking up sanctuary city mayors would do wonders for illegal alien numbers. Pay the going rate to farm workers that are here legally or pick your own lettuce.

Deport all illegal alien trash.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:15 PM

63,342 posts, read 29,409,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Hiring illegal aliens is against the law. DeSantis is doing what your bonehead democrat traitor governors and mayors should be doing.

Locking up sanctuary city mayors would do wonders for illegal alien numbers. Pay the going rate to farm workers that are here legally or pick your own lettuce.

Deport all illegal alien trash.
Laughable that that poster calls illegal aliens "undocumented workers" just for starters and it's both Democrats and Republicans who hire them. Farmers don't need them they have the unlimited visas to use. The only reason that they hire illegals instead is to increase their profits but we are supposed to feel sorry for them that De Santis is respecting our immigration laws?

Old 06-05-2023, 05:18 PM

39,177 posts, read 51,475,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
How did DeSantis eliminate H-2A visas ? Which bill was that in ?
Farmers should not be hiring illegals.
H-2A is a failed program for many, many reasons. The free market works much better. Let it function. Let them come and work. We need to eat.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:37 PM

4,293 posts, read 2,593,737 times
Estimates of undocumented farm worker range from 300,000 (Center for Migration Studies) to 1,000,000 (USDA) depending on the source. Either way, it's a lot. From farm workers, to roofers does anyone think the average American born person is going to do this back breaking work especially when it's 100F in the shade?

Old 06-05-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
H-2A is a failed program for many, many reasons. The free market works much better. Let it function. Let them come and work. We need to eat.
In 2018 only about 30% of farm workers were illegal and that is for the entire US, not just Florida.
I think you'll be able to eat just fine.

The illegals can get better paying cash jobs in construction, landscaping and food services.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/farm...2040%20percent.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:46 PM

26,151 posts, read 22,328,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I wondered how this would work when DeSantis made it illegal for immigrants to work in Florida, including agriculture.

https://twitter.com/tomaskenn/status...27928167014403

It's not good. They are trying to get people to tell them not to leave for other states.
Geesh, I hope they aren't coming here! They really bring down the standard of living, plus destroy the school systems with the much higher cost of educating the children. They also drain the charities!

An employer breaks the law when they hire illegal aliens, did you not know that? So, you don't like DeSantis enforcing the law.

I would spend less time on Twitter, and more learning about the laws of our country.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1324a (Unlawful employment of aliens)

I don't get why liberals don't think laws should be enforced.

Now, they can bring them legally with H-2A temp agricultural visas, but they don't like doing that, as they must pay them the prevailing wages, and it falls under OSHA when it comes to working conditions. Of course, the person works, and then returns to their home country, instead of becoming a burden to taxpayers.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the...ltural-workers

Quote:
How did DeSantis eliminate H-2A visas ? Which bill was that in ?
Farmers should not be hiring illegals.
Do something legally? Liberals oppose laws, so just "NO"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Fact remains - many are illegals. I posted on another thread why farmers n workers don’t try to go the legal route. It doesn’t work well at all. Limits -timing-money- and control of the pickers - as in they can’t go to another state to pick a harvest while attached to one farmer in Fl. It also pushes farmers to pay a much higher wage, but still hurts the farmer bottom line as he gets under bid. It’s messy. But nobody wants to fix it.
So, these illegals are the new slaves in the south, right? The farmers can get away with a lot more by hiring these illegal workers/slaves. They don't have to worry about OSHA or the Department of Labor - thus as I keep saying with the illegal invasion, 3rd world here we come!

Quote:
and then Americans drop dead in the streets because they have no food.

Always the extremes

200K LEGAL migrant workers go to Florida each year to work.
Plus, less and less is being grown in the US now and coming through the southern border, when the foot traffic isn't too heavy to allow the trucks to pass. I bought a piece of fruit, I think it was citrus fruit, a few months ago, and it was imported from Israel. I just remember thinking that we grew the fruit, thus why were importing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
well who can blame them when Americans cant be bothered to do some hard work picking veggies/fruit, working in slaughter houses etc.
Give it up! We have a lot of people that do that work, sure in the big cities, people are not aware of this. Also, the farmers do this because they get away with paying less money, ignoring labor and OSHA laws, etc., so if they were hiring people at a decent wage, they could get workers, but instead they get over paying lesser wages, emergency medical is paid by the taxpayers to include child birth and then the child is on public assistance and can get the whole family into public housing too! So, we cover all of those costs, and I am sick of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Rick Scott wanted to use prisoners as firefighters. Maybe DeSantis can use them to pick crops. When I lived in Florida, I did see "chain gangs" picking up garbage on the roads.
Actually, that is an awesome idea! Also, I bet they would see less anxiety and trouble by the prisoners when they were tuckered out from field work! I know they always get more volunteers when it comes to picking up trash, etc., as the prisoners enjoy getting outside when they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yeah, because the employer has to follow all the fair labor practices. It is also nice to have the taxpayer pick up a lot of the cost of their "employees". We are talking about the employers breaking the law by hiring illegal aliens.

So much of what comes in isn't coming from FL. I can't remember the last time I saw a fruit or vegetable from FL.

I DO NOT want to subsidize these law breaking employers who exploit these workers for more profit in their pockets.

How much would cost to pay a fair wage?

https://www.epi.org/blog/how-much-wo...per-household/

"A 40% increase in pay would cost just $25 per household"

"For a typical household or consumer unit, a 40% increase in farm labor costs translates into a 4% increase in the retail price of fresh fruits and vegetables (0.30 farm share of retail prices x 0.33 farm labor share of farm revenue = 10%; if farm labor costs rise 40%, retail spending rises 4%). If average farmworker earnings rose by 40%, and the increase were passed on entirely to consumers, average spending on fresh fruits and vegetables for a typical household would rise by $25 per year (4% of $615 = $24.60)."

So, we raise the wages hiring legal workers, and that way we don't have to subsidize the workers to put more profit in the pockets of the employers. $25 dollars a year to offer better wages? Sounds fine to me. We have a lot of people out of work, and if we cut the public assistance, I think we get those fruits and veggies picked! I know, the horror of "work"! Can't Uncle Sam just take care of us?

I don't understand what Democrats have against enforcing laws. Modern slavery seems attractive to them, so I guess that is why they are focused on allowing illegal aliens to come in.

BOTTOM LINE: When one employer cheats to get more profits, the employer not cheating loses out, so allowing one employer to break the laws, only encourages others to do it.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 06-05-2023 at 06:01 PM..

Old 06-05-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Geesh, I hope they aren't coming here! They really bring down the standard of living, plus destroy the school systems with the much higher cost of educating the children. They also drain the charities!.
28% of school children are Hispanic and increasing every year.

Public school:
White..45% (decrease)
Black..15%
Hispanic ...28%(increase)

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator/cge

Old 06-05-2023, 06:04 PM

26,151 posts, read 22,328,850 times
Some employers follow the laws!

https://www.ers.usda.gov/amber-waves...n-past-decade/

"The H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers Program allows agricultural employers in the United States to bring in foreign farmworkers to fill seasonal labor contracts lasting less than a year. Between 2010 and 2019, H-2A positions certified by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) increased more than 220 percent. All agricultural product categories experienced significant growth in H-2A employment, but the increase was most pronounced in product categories with high labor requirements and seasonal employment, such as fruit and tree nuts and vegetables and melons."

And the reason they don't hire domestic workers would be what?

"Moreover, employing H-2A workers incurs additional costs that make it more expensive than hiring domestic workers. These costs include visa fees, housing, and travel, which many small producers may find prohibitive for short-term contracts. An FLC, on the other hand, can effectively share the cost of application fees, travel, and housing among multiple producers—making the hiring of H-2A workers through FLCs more feasible."

Old 06-05-2023, 06:10 PM

19,340 posts, read 17,252,062 times
Quote:
Well gee if the Fed lets illegals into the country then why not hire them for cash under the table.
When the Fed does a bust, the company pays a fine and hires the illegals all back to go at it again.
No one ever goes to jail.

It's a win/win for both government and business.

It's a loss for Americans though who want to work.
Well this scenario you paint has been going on for 1/2 a century because Americans always want and need a low paid underclass to cover all those nasty jobs Americans with an ounce of energy and a days education do not want to do.

Stop believing that Americans want to be in the fields, they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies