Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 06:24 PM

22,509 posts, read 12,055,173 times

Advertisements

What all the pro-illegals seem to ignore is that more and more crops are being picked mechanically. Even delicate crops like raspberries are being picked by machines.

So...enough of the hyperbole and whining about "crops rotting in the fields" BS. If sleazy farmers refuse to use the guest worker visa program and don't have enough illegals to work the fields...well...cry me a river. They brought this problem on themselves with their refusal to obey our immigration laws.

For those of you who are still wringing your hands and fretting --- If you are so worried, no one is stopping you from moving to FL and working the fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 06:27 PM

19,280 posts, read 17,158,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Stop believing the propaganda that we NEED these illegals to do jobs Americans don't want to do.
You now have Illinois hiring police .... so LE is now a job Americans don't want to do ?

I know a few Americans that got fired from their construction jobs in the mid 90's and replace with illegal crews.
One was my next door neighbor. He went and became an electrician so he could continue to work in construction. Electrician/plumber are the only 2 construction type jobs left for Americans because of the test/certification process.
Well were going to find out won't we if the farm labor is leaving Florida as this topic discusses. I don't know what you mean by "Illinois hiring police".

I know from a GC that when he starts with 10 candidates on a Monday for work by the time they reach Friday with background checks, drug test, police etc they have 2 candidates left. Come Monday only 1 shows up and that why he uses the Hispanic Sub-Contractor because they show up, they work and the job is done right.

I've seen in Virginia back in the 90's, construction was 6-9 months of double the workload then came winter and the crews were let go to fend for themselves and they wonder why people don't want to stay in the trades.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:34 PM

11,153 posts, read 10,735,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Well were going to find out won't we if the farm labor is leaving Florida as this topic discusses. I don't know what you mean by "Illinois hiring police".
You missed the news that Pritzker signed a law making it a civil rights violation to not hire illegal immigrants as police?

Quote:
I know from a GC that when he starts with 10 candidates on a Monday for work by the time they reach Friday with background checks, drug test, police etc they have 2 candidates left. Come Monday only 1 shows up and that why he uses the Hispanic Sub-Contractor because they show up, they work and the job is done right.
Perhaps your GC friend should up his pay scale and get better candidates.

Quote:
I've seen in Virginia back in the 90's, construction was 6-9 months of double the workload then came winter and the crews were let go to fend for themselves and they wonder why people don't want to stay in the trades.
We're discussing Florida, not Virginia. The only reason construction shuts down in Florida is hurricanes - which create more construction jobs.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:37 PM

43,283 posts, read 18,428,133 times
Quote:

Of all the migrant workers in the entire US only 30% are illegal...the entire US.
I don't think you need to worry about starving.

Now if this were CA then we might be in trouble as I suspect the majority of that 30% are in that state.

Now those farmers that hired illegals will have to play by the book and hire migrants at decent wages + benefits.
Isn't that a good thing ?

Or are you defending slave wages and bad working conditions because no one cares about illegal workers ?

Old 06-05-2023, 06:43 PM

19,860 posts, read 12,149,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I wondered how this would work when DeSantis made it illegal for immigrants to work in Florida, including agriculture.

https://twitter.com/tomaskenn/status...27928167014403

It's not good. They are trying to get people to tell them not to leave for other states.

Thomas Kennedy came to the US illegally with his parents from Argentina. As far as I can tell he is still here illegally. He's an agitator, Dem activist, possibly Antifa and a DNC member. Fits the bill as he always looks like he hasn't showered or washed his clothes in weeks.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Your GC is doing it wrong. Have his boss give him an envelope full of money.
Go to HD and get the crew. They will work the entire project. They will all "go to lunch" when inspectors come around. And if a guy can't show up..his friend does so you're never short crew.

That's how they do it in Texas.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You missed the news that Pritzker signed a law making it a civil rights violation to not hire illegal immigrants as police?

Perhaps your GC friend should up his pay scale and get better candidates.

We're discussing Florida, not Virginia. The only reason construction shuts down in Florida is hurricanes - which create more construction jobs.
Link for the news on Pritzker?

Perhaps my GC friends experiences are what is going on in the industry and candidates inability to pass drug and police checks or even to show up is on them. Nothing in my statement said that the Hispanic Crew was not legal residents.The person I was responding to was discussing Illinois same as you are with Pritzker and my response was an example to his on construction, don't like it don't respond.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Link for the news on Pritzker?

Perhaps my GC friends experiences are what is going on in the industry and candidates inability to pass drug and police checks or even to show up is on them. Nothing in my statement said that the Hispanic Crew was not legal residents.The person I was responding to was discussing Illinois same as you are with Pritzker and my response was an example to his on construction, don't like it don't respond.
The topic is farm workers. Back on topic please.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The topic is farm workers. Back on topic please.
Now that you've had your say......

Old 06-05-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Now that you've had your say......
I was replying to you but don't want the thread to drift.

Now farmers in FL will have to hire migrants the legal way, provide decent pay and required benefits.

Isn't that a good thing ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies