Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2023, 09:11 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Because he's still a US soldier. The issue is what NK is going to want is probably not something the US is willing to give for a degenerate soldier who defected.

I haven't really followed the TikTok case that much. Americans often run into trouble in Dubai as they think they can behave how they're used to, which is not something you can do. Some effort should also be made to negotiate her departure. Apparently there's video of her yelling at and more importantly defaming the car rental clerk, bit of a no-no over there. Nothing really happens here if you get upset and call people names but that isn't the case over there. Usually the state department can intercede eventually where tourists break local laws and run afoul of the laws. That's probably what will happen.
I would’ve been screaming at him too. He refused to give her back her ID or her credit card until she paid him money. Who wouldn’t be screaming in that situation, especially when the guy was screaming at her first?

But this is why I rarely leave the country, and would never go to a place like Dubai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 09:46 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
He made his choice, now he needs to suffer the consequences.

Old 07-30-2023, 11:14 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would’ve been screaming at him too. He refused to give her back her ID or her credit card until she paid him money. Who wouldn’t be screaming in that situation, especially when the guy was screaming at her first?

But this is why I rarely leave the country, and would never go to a place like Dubai
Yup, not in Kansas anymore.

You pay your bills in Dubai. If not, you go to jail. One time I bounced a check. It's not a big deal here. It's mostly a civil matter of paying the NSF fee and paying the person you bounced the check to. In Dubai you go to jail there's very little leeway. You better pay your bill before the person you owe money to goes to the authorities or you go to jail.
In Dubai if you are at fault, you pay for the damages. They have liability insurance for the other car but if you're renting a car and are at fault for the accident you pay for the damages to the rental car. You can buy insurance for that at the rental counter, but most Americans are used to that being a ripoff as they won't let you rent a car here without full coverage anyway. Not true over there. If you do not pay your bills, however, you go to jail. Until you pay you do not get your personal items. If that's what happened, it's you're not in Kansas. The clerk telling you you'll go to jail for not paying isn't threatening. That's just how it works over there. At the same time, yes, scamming tourists is pretty common everywhere. Orderly society is a two-way street though. You pay your bills and you do not steal. They'll come down proportionally hard on any car rental company that's stealing from people.

Also it's not Kansas. Even if it was a scam, which it could be, yelling and screaming profanities is right up there with not being drunk in public, makeout sessions on the beach, and sleeping with someone you're not married to. Apparently that's all on video so less of a case of there being two stories and a disputed bill not being paid. What normally happens is they take the passport, go to trail, convict (or not), and immediately release them to go home and then tell them they're not welcome back either for a period of time or permanently. Again, that's just how that stuff works over there though. If a UAE citizen doesn't pay their bills they likewise get travel banned and can't leave the country until that's resolved.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:09 PM

1,100 posts, read 432,748 times
-----^

Correct. Just google all the luxury and exotic cars abandoned at the airport when the people who can't afford them avoid jail by fleeing. Keys left in them and everything.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/wh...und-abandoned/

Old 07-30-2023, 05:23 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
-----^

Correct. Just google all the luxury and exotic cars abandoned at the airport when the people who can't afford them avoid jail by fleeing. Keys left in them and everything.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/wh...und-abandoned/

Wow, that's crazy!

On the other hand though, I knew a nurse who worked there for 10 or 15 years, raised her kids there. Then came back here (I think the kids, now adults, might have stayed, not sure). She made over $100,000 a year, tax free, 10-20 years ago. She liked it. It sounded like she lived in a compound kind of area with other Americans.

I would get in trouble though. I do something wrong everytime I'm out of the country. In Mexico, I brought a large scuba knife in my carry one (I was thinking of it as a souveneir, lol). Thank God it was pre-9/11. I still almost missed the plane, and had to meet with Philly security when I got back to get it back, but it was nothing like it would be today. Then on my last cruise, I forgot to bring my i.d. somehow at port. No biggie cause it was just the Bahamas but it's better for me to stay on American soil, lol.

Old 07-30-2023, 05:29 PM

1,100 posts, read 432,748 times
Quote:
Wow, that's crazy!
I know, right? I'm sure there are pros to living in Dubai but it's not a free country and it sure as hell ain't America. Debtors jail is pretty harsh, not that I condone people over-extending themselves.

All this said, I'd love to visit Dubai.

Old 07-30-2023, 05:30 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
How do you think this guy will turn out? Easy release by NK, or kept indefinitely by NK? Turn out like Otto Warmbier?

A plainclothes soldier was taken by NK when he crossed to the country - he was on a tour apparently of the DMZ and broke away from the group.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/north-...marcation-line
Dead.

Old 07-30-2023, 06:20 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Dead.
Or used as a bargaining chip, or used for making North Korean propaganda.

Old 07-30-2023, 06:24 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
That soldier WANTED to get out of the military because he did something wrong and did not want to face the consequences. At least thats the story that has been reported on why he left.

Now, the circumstances that led up to him breaking military law, you might consider them mitigating circumstances that he should not be held accountable, but i dont know any other facts about him.

If he made a stupid conscious decision to do that, then i am not sure if he ought to be brought back as that was his wish. Let him go, in that case.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:16 AM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
I would’ve been screaming at him too. He refused to give her back her ID or her credit card[ until she paid him money. Who wouldn’t be screaming in that situation, especially when the guy was screaming at her first?

Your post makes no sense.

How can she "pay" them money if she "doesn't have her ID and credit cards?"

Screaming doesn't solve the problem of a monetary dispute, figuring out why the dispute exists is the solution. I've been to Dubai several times, any business known to "scam" tourists would be shut down in a day. It's only the top 5 tourist destination in the world.

Implying or suggesting that Dubai police intentionally target AMERICAN tourists is absolutely hilarious. Everyone wants to be a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies