Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 11:06 AM

133 posts, read 39,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Also unsurprising is the amount of people who comment without reading the article.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

No really this time the sky is falling!

A ban on 15 year old cars which require significant repairs wouldn't affect me. Nor would an outright ban on 15 year old cars. So tough to get worked up over this
You do know there are more people in this country other than yourself, right?

I don't want some new piece of crap car that shuts off at stoplights and sounds and feels terrible engine wise, all just to save a gallon of gas, the price of which I don't care about. Sorry not sorry.

If you know anything about cars you should know all the good engines have been ripped away from us thanks to the Government who thinks they know what's best for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 11:08 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It came from the type of dystopian they read in Ayn Rand's book "Anthem" about a dystopian future where individual freedoms and thought have been outlawed by a dictatorial and oppressive regime. They did make a movie adaption from one of her books, in the movie "Atlas Shrugged."
Wow...I never knew that, thanks for sharing. I've read "Atlas Shrugged" but never heard of "Anthem", I might have to check it out.

An excerpt from the wiki page:
Plot
Equality 7-2521, a 21-year-old man writing by candlelight in a tunnel under the earth, tells the story of his life up to that point. He exclusively uses plural pronouns ("we", "our", "they") to refer to himself and others. He was raised like all children in his society, away from his parents in collective homes: the Home of Infants from birth until five years old, then the Home of Students from five to fifteen. He believes he has a "curse" that makes him learn quickly and ask many questions. He excels at the Science of Things and dreams of becoming a Scholar, but when the Council of Vocations assigns his Life Mandate at fifteen, he is assigned to be a Street Sweeper.

Crazy how this was written in '37 and we see some similarities in modern society.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:08 AM

21 posts, read 11,871 times
Just shows you what a nutjob California politicians are. Before it's over, they're going to be responsible for the demise of more than one major U.S. automobile company. Joe and Jane Six Pack cannot afford two $60K vehicles in order to to the two or three jobs that's going to be required to have a bottom line living.

There are nutjob politicians in other many other states that long ago decided to follow anything California does in the green energy department.

They still have not said where electricity is going to come from to recharge all those EV's. California's borderline already on electricity supply--and that's at almost 3 times the per kilowatt rate I'm paying.

Remember that Rome was there 1,500 years ago. And it we were in the same Rome the last couple of Summers. Rome is not going anywhere--as the U.S. is not going anywhere even in spite of some of our non-green habits. The air here is still cleaner than it's been the last 90 years.

As the cost of autombiles increases, they're going to be driven longer and longer. And it's only parts and service that will keep'em going. I have noticed that in London, you just don't see any older vehicles. And we're seeing more electric vehicles, including taxi's.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:31 AM

133 posts, read 39,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRiverRat View Post

As the cost of autombiles increases, they're going to be driven longer and longer. And it's only parts and service that will keep'em going. I have noticed that in London, you just don't see any older vehicles. And we're seeing more electric vehicles, including taxi's.

Yeah but the government runs their lives over there.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:32 AM

3,701 posts, read 4,844,822 times
So, I guess we'll be required to buy $150,000 new vehicles every 15 years? I had a new F150. Loved that truck but I bit off a bit more then I could chew and sold it. Now I have a 19 year old Dodge Ram. Love that 5.7 and the gearing that came with it and am happy with the all around 15MPG's on a quad cab 4x4! Even though, when I get some debt cleared up, I plan to get another aluminum bodied F150 SuperCrew. But this time I'll be looking for a used 18' to 20'. No more new vehicles for me as they've gotten too proud on the pricing. I'll just keep fixing, BTW, my Ram runs perfect and has no rust.....yet. I'll start driving it on the beach so that'll change!

As far as really older ones, I have been seeing an awful lot of 70's through 90's Ford and Chevy trucks in pretty good condition on the roads the past couple of years. I don't know if it's that I'm noticing them more because I want one or if people just can't afford a new one anymore, so they are pulling dad's and grandpa's old truck out of the chicken house, giving it a tune up and driving that instead. Also the number of 3rd gen Rams (03 to 08) I'm seeing as these trucks seem to hold up pretty well. I like them because they are modern yet easily fixed.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
So, I guess we'll be required to buy $150,000 new vehicles every 15 years? I had a new F150. Loved that truck but I bit off a bit more then I could chew and sold it. Now I have a 19 year old Dodge Ram. Love that 5.7 and the gearing that came with it and am happy with the all around 15MPG's on a quad cab 4x4! Even though, when I get some debt cleared up, I plan to get another aluminum bodied F150 SuperCrew. But this time I'll be looking for a used 18' to 20'. No more new vehicles for me as they've gotten too proud on the pricing. I'll just keep fixing, BTW, my Ram runs perfect and has no rust.....yet. I'll start driving it on the beach so that'll change!

As far as really older ones, I have been seeing an awful lot of 70's through 90's Ford and Chevy trucks in pretty good condition on the roads the past couple of years. I don't know if it's that I'm noticing them more because I want one or if people just can't afford a new one anymore, so they are pulling dad's and grandpa's old truck out of the chicken house, giving it a tune up and driving that instead. Also the number of 3rd gen Rams (03 to 08) I'm seeing as these trucks seem to hold up pretty well. I like them because they are modern yet easily fixed.
If you're one of the elite, sure. Why wouldn't you ? If you are one of the poors, there is always public transit, ebikes or your good old feets.

It's almost like there is a push for society not owning anything, or a certain segment of it.

The sad thing is , some of our younger individuals seem to want this as well. I've seen some ask "Why do you need to own a car? " or " why would you want to own so much property? " or "why would you want to own a home?" or look down on those that do want these things.
I really don't get it. It's like they want to live like a version of the "Hunger Games".

Old 02-29-2024, 12:06 PM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If you're one of the elite, sure. Why wouldn't you ? If you are one of the poors, there is always public transit, ebikes or your good old feets.

It's almost like there is a push for society not owning anything, or a certain segment of it.

The sad thing is , some of our younger individuals seem to want this as well. I've seen some ask "Why do you need to own a car? " or " why would you want to own so much property? " or "why would you want to own a home?" or look down on those that do want these things.
I really don't get it. It's like they want to live like a version of the "Hunger Games".
Maybe scratch ebikes. Many local governments are tightening restrictions on them. NJ wants you to register and insure them. You know where that all leads to.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Maybe scratch ebikes. Many local governments are tightening restrictions on them. NJ wants you to register and insure them. You know where that all leads to.
Seriously ?! WTF. The crazy thing is people actually welcome more governmental intervention into their lives.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:34 PM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Seriously ?! WTF. The crazy thing is people actually welcome more governmental intervention into their lives.
Yeah, the ones that are currently allowed on the streets can only go 20mph, making them comparable to a regular bike. The difference is people can travel 45 miles or so without breaking a sweat. They say it's for everyone's safety but again, there is no restrictions on regular bikes. My theory is people will fall for it who think it has a motor therefore it's a motor vehicle, thus a money grab. That and they afford people WAY too much freedom.

I have a breathing disability so I bought an ebike so I could get around and see things you cannot see from a car. They really are great. Trail riding, urban exploring or trips to the store. I got into drones and now they are just about regulated out of existence.

If anyone wants to try a new hobby, check with me first lol.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:41 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
we need the government to assign vehicles to drive based on your family size --

give you a choice of 2/3 models.

Not satisfied? -- for an additional fee (tax), you can enter another tier of available vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies