Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 05:29 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Unsurprisingly, the right wing is making this out to be something bigger than it really is.

European Proposal to BAN 15 Year Old Cars!

IOW it's not just a blanket ban of anything older than 15 years.

Furthermore, it's just a proposal. Who knows if it'll actually be adopted. Would be surprised if it is.

In some European nations, such as Germany, car inspection requirements are already so strict that old clunker cars are de facto 'banned' anyway.
Define 'significant'!
Given the unbelievable policies implemented by the Left, what's not to believe here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 05:34 AM

674 posts, read 333,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Unsurprisingly, the right wing is making this out to be something bigger than it really is.

European Proposal to BAN 15 Year Old Cars!

IOW it's not just a blanket ban of anything older than 15 years.

Furthermore, it's just a proposal. Who knows if it'll actually be adopted. Would be surprised if it is.

In some European nations, such as Germany, car inspection requirements are already so strict that old clunker cars are de facto 'banned' anyway.
Even in England which is full of clunkers it's a challenge getting an older car to pass an MOT (yearly inspection). It usually requires some work, or finding someone unethical who will fudge the results. Very illegal but not uncommon.

I wouldn't worry about this; Europeans are definitely more worried about environmental issues than Americans are but I can't see people there getting behind something like this. Cars are very expensive there and I can't imagine being forced to buy a new one every 15 years or so.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:42 AM

13,940 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
Even in England which is full of clunkers it's a challenge getting an older car to pass an MOT (yearly inspection). It usually requires some work, or finding someone unethical who will fudge the results. Very illegal but not uncommon.

I wouldn't worry about this; Europeans are definitely more worried about environmental issues than Americans are but I can't see people there getting behind something like this. Cars are very expensive there and I can't imagine being forced to buy a new one every 15 years or so.
Need anyone from Virginia to weigh in here, as I have dealt with their DMV tyranny since the early 80s. Wonder how many people around here (from VA that is) remember not just the VA annual safety inspection, but that lovely county/city sticker that meant you had paid your personal property tax on the vehicle. Not having an updated tax sticker in your window could and did (for too many people I knew) result in the 2nd most expensive citation you get from the state, trailing only reckless driving in a posted construction area. And at one point, before they actually changed that property tax thing, they added emissions testing to achieve the evil trilogy of tyranny every year you registered your car.

After I left VA in the 90s, I spent the next 10-15 years just feeling that slightly sad version of sympathy every time I saw someone with a VA plate. I am sure other states have VA beat, but yeah, their DMV was straight draconian, no joke.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:50 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
It's the same slippery slope that the 2A supporters talk about. If it has been proposed, it will eventually gain some momentum. If one doesn't believe that, they are completely naïve. Is it something to panic about now ? Probably not, but it is something to keep aware of, and something that should be considered when voting.

And much like the "gun control" argument, we will have individuals that really have no knowledge of something, or just general knowledge, and even some misinformation, forming legislation for the rest of us.

After reading that link provided by elnina, I saw nothing in there that actually defines what a classic is. Who and what makes that determination ?

If we aren't smart enough to know that when the government takes control of something, they generally screw it up, especially the current crop of Democrats.

I have a 33 year old S10 pickup with a V6 in it. Who in their right mind would consider that a classic that should be worth saving, or restoring, right ? It's just an S10. Well, looking that particular model up on "bring a trailer", in the last year 9 have been sold, the lowest price was $35k, the highest $65k. IYKYK.

On a lighter note, the movies of the '70's already predicted things like this happening. Lol

"The Last Chase"
After moving the seat of government to Boston, the new dictatorship outlawed private ownership and use of all automobiles, boats and aircraft, on the pretext that an even bigger crisis, the depletion of fossil fuel supplies, was imminent. The loss of other personal freedoms followed, and a mass surveillance system now monitors private citizens' every move.

Years before, as private vehicles were being confiscated, Hart sequestered his race car – an orange Porsche 917 CAN-AM roadster – in a secret compartment beneath his basement. Over the ensuing years he has gradually restored it to drivable condition, raiding long-abandoned junkyards in the dead of night for parts. His goal is to drive across the country to "Free California", an independent territory that has seceded from the rest of totalitarian America.

The most unrealistic part of the movie, other than the entire premise, is that California is the "free, indepenent" state.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:26 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post

You also highlight the global phenomenon where they will agree to or sign accords but then underlying rampant corruption means they don't actually follow through or measure correctly.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:28 AM

10,815 posts, read 4,506,581 times
so are you telling me that it could be, I can put 2 of my vehicles in the garage (both are over 30) to work on and get arrested?

I guess this is why we keep weapons as well?

Have we become 1960s cuba? (prolly yes, that is the leftist utopia dream even tho not one single leftist has a) ever been there and b) 'hablas')

Old 02-29-2024, 07:30 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Well I guess that's one way to "force" people into EV's to "save the planet"

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
The left must really hate poor people.

Do they really think the wealthy are disproportionately driving 15 year old vehicles?

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
It's also silly to not see the writing on the wall.
Yeah, we keep telling grandpa to stop drawing on the wall in crayon while claiming he's signing the declaration of independence from the confederacy. But after 60 hours of talk radio in a week, he's pretty fired up about Russia taking back Alaska and other certainties...

10,815 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It's the same slippery slope that the 2A supporters talk about. If it has been proposed, it will eventually gain some momentum. If one doesn't believe that, they are completely naïve. Is it something to panic about now ? Probably not, but it is something to keep aware of, and something that should be considered when voting.

And much like the "gun control" argument, we will have individuals that really have no knowledge of something, or just general knowledge, and even some misinformation, forming legislation for the rest of us.

After reading that link provided by elnina, I saw nothing in there that actually defines what a classic is. Who and what makes that determination ?

If we aren't smart enough to know that when the government takes control of something, they generally screw it up, especially the current crop of Democrats.

I have a 33 year old S10 pickup with a V6 in it. Who in their right mind would consider that a classic that should be worth saving, or restoring, right ? It's just an S10. Well, looking that particular model up on "bring a trailer", in the last year 9 have been sold, the lowest price was $35k, the highest $65k. IYKYK.

On a lighter note, the movies of the '70's already predicted things like this happening. Lol

"The Last Chase"
After moving the seat of government to Boston, the new dictatorship outlawed private ownership and use of all automobiles, boats and aircraft, on the pretext that an even bigger crisis, the depletion of fossil fuel supplies, was imminent. The loss of other personal freedoms followed, and a mass surveillance system now monitors private citizens' every move.

Years before, as private vehicles were being confiscated, Hart sequestered his race car – an orange Porsche 917 CAN-AM roadster – in a secret compartment beneath his basement. Over the ensuing years he has gradually restored it to drivable condition, raiding long-abandoned junkyards in the dead of night for parts. His goal is to drive across the country to "Free California", an independent territory that has seceded from the rest of totalitarian America.

The most unrealistic part of the movie, other than the entire premise, is that California is the "free, indepenent" state.

Im thinking the song 'Red Barchetta' which I will see performed live tomorrow evening....but <perk> 91 S10 2.8? stick? Sold! (not for 35 no...but still....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies