Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 05:00 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
If a car needs new brake pads, a bureaucrat will allow to operate it. If it needs new brake hoses, it must be scrapped.
If oil leeks through the head gasket, you won't be allowed to buy a new gasket and do the job over a weekend.
An entire car scrapped because it needs new brake hoses? Seems awfully wasteful. It's a $13 part and just screws in. Can be done quicker than brake pads.

https://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/fron...20group%20%231
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 10:36 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,297,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
An entire car scrapped because it needs new brake hoses? Seems awfully wasteful. It's a $13 part and just screws in. Can be done quicker than brake pads.
You can spill poisonous brake fluid and destroy nature around your garage for centuries.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:38 AM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post

https://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/fron...20group%20%231
I think his point is that the government can use any flimsy excuse to force you to scrap your old car and buy a new one. They can make it so that very minor repairs are impossible, and if it is important such as part of your braking system, then you can't safely drive the car. POOF. You are forced to buy a new car or a newer used car.

Of course, a huge black market in old car parts would blossom immediately along with a backyard mechanic cottage industry.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:16 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Places like California could do something like tighten-up the OBD emission-monitor parameters, allowing zero
failed/incomplete tests in-order to pass.

That way, you have a emissions-code that requires very expensive repairs, or you will not pass....good chance you will go out and buy a new/newer vehicle.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:23 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
You can spill poisonous brake fluid and destroy nature around your garage for centuries.
I could drain all of the brake fluid from my car directly onto my garage floor and none of it would make it outside to "destroy" nature.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:30 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Places like California could do something like tighten-up the OBD emission-monitor parameters, allowing zero

That way, you have a emissions-code that requires very expensive repairs, or you will not pass....good chance you will go out and buy a new/newer vehicle.
Also remember that there are about a dozen states who have agreed to adhere to the California CARB standards so you'd add them into the mix.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:59 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

Calif. has that now.

Old 03-02-2024, 01:07 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,698,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Calif. has that now.
it does, but it really isn't hard to pass. The biggest PITA is the cars that had their cats stolen, and replaced them with an aftermarket cat. A lot of those don't pass inspection, which is really annoying.

I have a 2008 Escape that I seem to be repairing every year. The smog check is the least of my concerns.

Old 03-02-2024, 04:00 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
In CA if you fail you have to go to a repair and test station and they're getting hard to find.
Smog check stresses me out, I pray constantly, I hate it so much I bought a Bolt.

Old 03-02-2024, 04:29 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,698,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
In CA if you fail you have to go to a repair and test station and they're getting hard to find.
Smog check stresses me out, I pray constantly, I hate it so much I bought a Bolt.
I think they give you a list of repair and test stations. And I think you can only go to “Test Only” if you fail. I assume that’s to try to prevent shader mechanics from just passing the vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies