Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 10:39 AM

50,980 posts, read 36,683,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
And it all depends on how you want to "define" a school shooting. How many of those 346 "school shootings" actually occurred during "school hours"?

Here is another list that shows there were 38 where injuries or death occurred.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/sc...-where/2023/01

Now, you can say..well 38 is still bad, but how many shootings occur in the urban environment daily across the US? Yet do they have lockdowns and drills about what to do?

Almost every single one from the list above happened outside of school hours, in the parking lot, or at a sporting event. One was counted as a school shooting even though it was a stray bullet from off-campus.

If anything it sounds like schools should have drills for what to do in case of a shooting in the parking lot after a basketball or football game. That is if they are really worried about it.

How many schools have burned down? Yet they still do fire drills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 10:43 AM

18,189 posts, read 15,761,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's kinda the point to drills.

You practice an anxious situation so if it happens you know what to do under stress.
Yes! Teaching kids exactly which corners/areas to go in the classroom, is vital.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:45 AM

48,580 posts, read 34,973,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
And it all depends on how you want to "define" a school shooting. How many of those 346 "school shootings" actually occurred during "school hours"?

Here is another list that shows there were 38 where injuries or death occurred.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/sc...-where/2023/01

Now, you can say..well 38 is still bad, but how many shootings occur in the urban environment daily across the US? Yet do they have lockdowns and drills about what to do?

Almost every single one from the list above happened outside of school hours, in the parking lot, or at a sporting event. One was counted as a school shooting even though it was a stray bullet from off-campus.

If anything it sounds like schools should have drills for what to do in case of a shooting in the parking lot after a basketball or football game. That is if they are really worried about it.

I admit it is complicated. Here are shootings by time of day, but it is from 1966 forward. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-time-day/

I am going to go out on a limb, and say I think that a school shooting will be very traumatic even if no one died. It would be an epic level of PTSD - traumatic if people died.

And then, there is the question of how many people did having drills SAVE?

Like you mentioned, lots of school shootings, but a reasonable amount of people got killed. Is that because of policies and drills?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2024, 01:52 PM

4,432 posts, read 1,722,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Nice....New Hampshire for the win! The only state that allows teachers to be armed with no restrictions!

I didn't even know that. Maybe it would be a better deterrent if there were signs at the schools stating the rule. Although the more publicity it gets the more likely it would be for the lefties to target the law when they eventually get back in to power.

The current dem running for the NH governorship is already promising to make new gun laws.
Do you really think most school shooters have any expectation of getting out alive?

Old 05-06-2024, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
#1 You are, I assume, an adult.

#2 When I was going to school eons ago, we maybe have 2 or 3 fire drills a year. They do lockdown drills monthly.

I guarantee that if there were some way Democrats could politicize fires, there were be more of them.
We dont do lockdown drills (or any other emergency drill) monthly. We do one a year. I think we do two fire drills a year, and one earthquake drill.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:57 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,219,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Do you really think most school shooters have any expectation of getting out alive?
Schools with armed police or guards don't seem to be getting targeted. Wonder why.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Schools with armed police or guards don't seem to be getting targeted. Wonder why.
My best guess is that they are trying to create as much pain before they are also. Also, they may fear the officer, as they assume he is a better shot than they are.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:26 PM

50,980 posts, read 36,683,722 times
Quote:
My best guess is that they are trying to create as much pain before they are also. Also, they may fear the officer, as they assume he is a better shot than they are.

Also most schools with armed security are in very bad neighborhoods. While they certainly have their share of violence, they don't seem to be a target of most school shooters.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:59 PM

45,532 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Quote:
I hunt and shoot with a lot of cops. Don't assume that.

Old 05-06-2024, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I hunt and shoot with a lot of cops. Don't assume that.
I did t say “I” assume that, but that school shooters might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies