Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

9,008 posts, read 4,690,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The ACLU is making sense on this one.
To a degree, they are.
(I feel "dirty" for having to agree with them.)
Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
OK... some details...
The legislation seeks to make the Department of Education adopt the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance’s definition of antisemitism when enforcing the 1964 Civil Rights Act on college campuses.
Ideally, we wouldn't have any such laws on the books. But so long as we do, they shouldn't create "open season" conditions on some groups while giving carte blanche to others.

While I can agree with the sentiments behind this, the devil is in the details. In choosing to use someone else's definition, the government has chosen one side to declare as truth, something the Courts have long stated is a violation of its Constitutional limitations.

A better path would have been to include a definition or list of antisemitic actions in the text of the bill.

If this only pertains to the Dept of Education, they might make it stick.
Still, it sets a bad precedent.

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

25,982 posts, read 22,169,754 times
Oppose this. There are already laws in place that could have been used, but for some reason, they chose not to enforce them.

I totally agree with what the ACLU said.

Our free speech is under fire, and remember "Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile."

I don't understand about threats either, as if my neighbor threatens to kill me, and I call the police, the police won't do anything due to a threat. If she marches in front of my house with a sign that says she hates me, wants my family to die............, but oh, I am not Jewish, so that is OK?

What happens if the Jewish students are critical of the Muslim students calling them names, saying they hope the Palestinians are blasted off the face of the earth and saying similar things that reflect what is going on in the Middle East (which I bet happens), is that OK, or does one have to be Jewish for special consideration?

Maybe this is all just as distraction from all of our other issues like the economy and the border crisis, concern over what happens on a college campus where rules/laws are broken, something to be addressed by the actual people and their families with the universities.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; Yesterday at 03:01 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

24,438 posts, read 23,103,140 times
I just wonder what is in the works where this BS fake dog and pony show going on now leads up to. Funded by George Soros and given the utmost attention by the MSM. Has anybody seen anti semitism aimed at synagogues or businesses beyond college campuses and big city streets? I haven't. There is a deep state backed online campaign but its so obvious its ridiculous.
If I were to bet i'd say its an upcoming banking collapse followed by an economic downturn that would make 2008 look like the Roaring 20s. Somebody's getting ready to protect the world banking leaders and money creators. The Bilderbergs, the Rothchilds, the Rockefellers. Not all jewish, but all in the same business of money manipulation. I know, questioning the Federal Reserve is anti semitic and anti American. But.... I guess I'm past caring. Its not about religion, its about money and they're trying to fake a religious reason to protect themselves when TSHTF.

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

19,834 posts, read 9,402,929 times
I am evidently in the minority here, but I see nothing wrong with this bill after reading many people debating about what antiSemitism actually is. Also, anything that will help to put an end to people showing their hatred for Jews to the point that many Jewish students do not feel safe on campus has my support -- and I would feel that same for any other group (not only Jews), also.

It is past time that we do what we can to quell ALL kinds of physically violent and threatening protests. Free speech is one thing when it is used to express opinions, but in my opinion, free speech that preaches violence to any group is NOT okay.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

19,679 posts, read 12,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Oppose this. There are already laws in place that could have been used, but for some reason, they chose not to enforce them.

Our free speech is under fire, and remember "Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile."

I don't understand about threats either, as if my neighbor threatens to kill me, and I call the police, the police won't do anything due to a threat. If she marches in front of my house with a sign that says she hates me, wants my family to die............, but oh, I am not Jewish, so that is OK?

What happens if the Jewish students are critical of the Muslim students calling them names, saying they hope the Palestinians are blasted off the face of the earth and saying similar things that reflect what is going on in the Middle East (which I bet happens), is that OK, or does one have to be Jewish for special consideration?
The answer to that is pretty obvious.

This is about special treatment. Right, there are already laws in place. Not good enough for this one particular group? This is a push against free speech.

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

9,008 posts, read 4,690,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I said this a long time ago - They will ban the Bible.

Christianity is being targeted - one way or another.

Only parts of the New Testament? Sure, Wait, they'll ban it all.

What are they going to do - Rewrite it all.

Why now? Why all this now????

Whatever.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What on earth does Christianity have to do with this? Not being allowed to show antisemitism toward Jewish people somehow infringes on your freedom of religion?
It is likely to be a response to the OP's reference (which I cannot confirm) to a supposed prohibition in the bill of saying "the Jews killed Jesus."

I can't confirm or deny that, because the bill refers to a third party document for definitions and examples (a very bad idea). I will send an explanation of the reasoning by DM.

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

27,686 posts, read 16,171,854 times
https://holocaustremembrance.com/res...n-antisemitism
This is what defines the bill.
Thou shalt not question the men behind the curtain.

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

6,481 posts, read 6,691,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Maybe this is all just as distraction from all of our other issues like the economy and the border crisis, concern over what happens on a college campus where rules/laws are broken, something to be addressed by the actual people and their families with the universities.
I absolutely agree. No single group of people should be more "protected" than any other. That's why I disagree with the whole concept of "hate crimes." A crime against a person, be it physically attacking, killing, vandalizing property, whatever, should be equally abhorred and punished, regardless of who the victim is, or what the perpetrator's motive was.

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

6,481 posts, read 6,691,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am evidently in the minority here, but I see nothing wrong with this bill after reading many people debating about what antiSemitism actually is. Also, anything that will help to put an end to people showing their hatred for Jews to the point that many Jewish students do not feel safe on campus has my support -- and I would feel that same for any other group (not only Jews), also.

It is past time that we do what we can to quell ALL kinds of physically violent and threatening protests. Free speech is one thing when it is used to express opinions, but in my opinion, free speech that preaches violence to any group is NOT okay.
You're contradicting yourself. First you give support to this bill, which gives special protection to Jewish people. Then you say we should quell ALL violent and threatening protests.

So let's just focus on quelling ALL violence (which is already illegal) without singling out a specific group.

I'm particularly bothered by the part of this bill that would make it illegal to even question if the Holocaust numbers had been exaggerated. People can't even ask about that??? If that isn't an infringement on free speech, I don't know what is.

Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,869,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
You're contradicting yourself. First you give support to this bill, which gives special protection to Jewish people. Then you say we should quell ALL violent and threatening protests.

So let's just focus on quelling ALL violence (which is already illegal) without singling out a specific group.

I'm particularly bothered by the part of this bill that would make it illegal to even question if the Holocaust numbers had been exaggerated. People can't even ask about that??? If that isn't an infringement on free speech, I don't know what is.

Yeah, you can ask and NO they were not!!! I'm particularly bothered by your post! Were you trying to be clever or funny?

And this is written by someone whose parents were in the camps and lost most of their family. So yeah, makes me mad!!!
How would YOU like it if it happened to your family?
If you grew up with everyone already being dead?

And someone questions it!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.