Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

1,275 posts, read 568,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
It is likely to be a response to the OP's reference (which I cannot confirm) to a supposed prohibition in the bill of saying "the Jews killed Jesus."

I can't confirm or deny that, because the bill refers to a third party document for definitions and examples (a very bad idea). I will send an explanation of the reasoning by DM.
The danger of incorporation by Reference is that the material referenced can change. This is great when we are dealing with the adoption of something like building code or industry testing standards. Not so great with something like this that can be too easily manipulated to daily political leanings.

Old Today, 02:52 AM

9,008 posts, read 4,690,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
I disagree with making comments like this and expecting others to take it lightly! You don't get it, do you. WHAT IF THIS HAPPENED TO YOUR FAMILY? ...

Back to the main topic of the thread, not sure why it's necessary, but I certainly do feel that the state of Israel is necessary, which is part of the reason for the action. Not beyond reproach, but certainly necessary.
And my few remaining cousins there don't support Netanyahu. They want the war to end.
Referring to your last paragraph here, I can understand having a beef with how Netanyahu is conducting the war, but he is the one in charge, so it is him, or ...

Do they really "want the war to end" by allowing Hamas to win?
Because that is what happens if it ends today.

That would insure another Oct 7 massacre in the future, probably in less than a couple years.
(Look again, at your own first paragraph, as I quoted it, above.)

Vietnam is an example. The North signed an agreement to never invade again, and about 18 months later, they did invade again.

War is hell, and it can be nothing less. But there are a few things worse than war. Losing is one of them. In fact, "not winning" can be worse. After "not winning" the propaganda can be like "we fought in Afghanistan for 20 years and accomplished nothing."

For an organization like Hamas, nothing less than annihilation will be sufficient.
(And it can be argued that they need to do more than annihilate Hamas, but that is a different topic.)

Old Today, 02:58 AM

9,008 posts, read 4,690,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That isn't right.
What is your opinion of how I worded things in my post?

This one:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
The danger of incorporation by Reference is that the material referenced can change. This is great when we are dealing with the adoption of something like building code or industry testing standards. Not so great with something like this that can be too easily manipulated to daily political leanings.
Well, to their credit, they did specify the 1964 definition.

While that insures it doesn't change, I still think it is a bad idea.

They should have simply defined it in the bill.

(Personally, I think they were trying to hide the definition, to prevent people from knowing what it says and having legitimate disagreement.)

Old Today, 05:40 AM

30,297 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
There, there. You can ask all the questions you want! Some of your answers are even in the Bible.

Like, you know, how we're supposed to treat others, and why. That part.

But back to the topic at hand....not sure why it's necessary, but hopefully there will more explanations to come. They sure are necessary as there seems to be a lot of confusion and a lot of undies getting twisted.
There, there, are you Jewish? Is that why you immediately went to sarcasm in your post?

Questions about the Holocaust are not in the Bible.

Example question: Concerning the number 6 million. Why is it, that in the newspapers years before the second World War, did the same number, 6 million, get used when talking about starving Jews who were,again, being persecuted? It wasn't one time. That number showed up in early newspapers (again, before WWII), repeatedly.

That's a genuine question, but Jews consider it 'anti-Semitism'.

Questions about history should be allowed, no matter how uncomfortable it makes some people. If people are triggered by simple questions, maybe there's something there in the question.

Old Today, 05:44 AM

30,297 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
What is your opinion of how I worded things in my post?

This one:

(Personally, I think they were trying to hide the definition, to prevent people from knowing what it says and having legitimate disagreement.)
Of course all Jews were not responsible. Jesus' own disciples were Jewish.

It's no different than when someone says:

"Black people make up the largest portion of crime statistics'. That doesn't mean that ALL black people commit crime.

"White people are the majority of serial killers.' That doesn't mean that ALL white people are serial killers.

First and foremost, the Jews did not physically kill Jesus. They did not lay hands on him, did not physically assault him, did not hoist him up on the cross and stab him in the side. The Romans did, after Pilate gave the order.

BUT, as we know, sometimes mob rule, who typically screams hysterically over things that aren't true, can get someone else to do the job they want done. That is what Jews did, whether they want to admit that or not. That doesn't mean that ALL Jews in existence were there, nor that ALL Jews agreed with the leaders who were demanding Jesus' death.

Also, what should be remembered by those who believe in the Bible, Jesus, and God, is that the Christian is warned about 'false Jews'. That is in the Bible, so again, no one gets to step on my rights so that they can stand behind a definition that is ever changing.

I, personally, have no issue with Jews, as a group. I do, however, have a problem with those who want to make everyone shut up instead of being able to ask questions, and/or make comments about what Jewish people say or do/said or have done.

The protesters, who I do not agree with, have the right to say what they want to say. It's when they block other people's right to attend their fricken classes without being assaulted or attacked in other ways that they cross the line from 'I'm protesting what this country is doing to another" to "being antisemitic'.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; Today at 06:04 AM..

Old Today, 10:13 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,869,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
There, there, are you Jewish? Is that why you immediately went to sarcasm in your post?

Questions about the Holocaust are not in the Bible.

Example question: Concerning the number 6 million. Why is it, that in the newspapers years before the second World War, did the same number, 6 million, get used when talking about starving Jews who were,again, being persecuted? It wasn't one time. That number showed up in early newspapers (again, before WWII), repeatedly.

That's a genuine question, but Jews consider it 'anti-Semitism'.

Questions about history should be allowed, no matter how uncomfortable it makes some people. If people are triggered by simple questions, maybe there's something there in the question.

No sarcasm was intended. I was serious. I think that a reminder of the Golden Rule might help some seemingly perpetually angry souls who post here. If not, it's unfortunate as it's a sad way to live.

I was also serious about a visit to a good Holocaust Memorial Center for answers to people's questions. They feel very comfortable answering people's questions, and it's actually encouraged.

Old Today, 12:00 PM

1,222 posts, read 544,155 times
Quote:
No sarcasm was intended. I was serious. I think that a reminder of the Golden Rule might help some seemingly perpetually angry souls who post here. If not, it's unfortunate as it's a sad way to live.

I was also serious about a visit to a good Holocaust Memorial Center for answers to people's questions. They feel very comfortable answering people's questions, and it's actually encouraged.
I looked up a question as to how the "Six Million" number was substantiated, as I was curious, and found out that it's considered "anti-semitic" to even ask that question. It's not allowed.

Old Today, 12:43 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,869,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I looked up a question as to how the "Six Million" number was substantiated, as I was curious, and found out that it's considered "anti-semitic" to even ask that question. It's not allowed.

If you are serious, go to a Center and speak with people directly. Many volunteers are not Jewish themselves (if that would be helpful to you) and can answer your questions calmly and dispassionately. They can give you plenty of documented info and there are libraries for research, etc.

Old Today, 02:17 PM

1,222 posts, read 544,155 times
Quote:
If you are serious, go to a Center and speak with people directly. Many volunteers are not Jewish themselves (if that would be helpful to you) and can answer your questions calmly and dispassionately. They can give you plenty of documented info and there are libraries for research, etc.
Why can't I find the info online?

I don't think going to a center is the answer.

I'm just looking for stats and sources.

The info should be everywhere and accessible.

Why is it not?

Old Today, 03:19 PM

8,056 posts, read 10,651,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What on earth does Christianity have to do with this? Not being allowed to show antisemitism toward Jewish people somehow infringes on your freedom of religion?
Have you looked at all of the details of this bill?

Apparently not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.