Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 AM

408 posts, read 696,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Who made up Chrismas, Easter and Thanksgiving and when was that, forget halloween, your answer will tell you why the blacks had to have their own separate holiday,!
Do other holidays that you do not follow make you uneasy? What is the deal, you need a good dose of 'get over it'.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
I believe he was not agreeing with you but saying that Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving , and Halloween are also all made up holidays (they had to start somewhere!) so it was confusing when you say that Kwanzaa is a made up holiday-just like all the rest.

That is exactly what I was trying to say . Thank you.

I can't think of any holidays that were not made up. All holidays are human constructs. No holidays in nature.
Nobody is born with an inborn biological "calendar" for holidays, White, Black, Western , Hindu, African whatever.
Kwanzaa is no more ridiculous than Christmas or Diwali.

I cannot believe someone could get so bothered by somebody else's choice of holidays. Of course it's made up.

I am truly saddened at the racism exhibited by so many people. I find it so pathetic and divisive. It is tragic that in 2008 we are still so blind sided by prejudice and racial hatred that we judge people by race or nationality.

I had hoped that we would have moved beyond silly prejudices like those by now.

I was wrong and it really does not bode well for the future.

Let's hope people's prejudices will not influence their voting too much in November.

This is one white woman who is fervently praying that Obama wins. Because the alternative is just too horrible to contemplate. I could not care less about the colour of his skin or his race.

Naively I believe that human beings should be judged on their individual merits and their intelligence, honesty, and probity . I would vote for a purple alien with orange spots if he was the right candidate.

I can see that for some the KKK and lynching mobs are still a viable option . The mind boggles and I remain bemused and a tad worried.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:50 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Who made up Chrismas, Easter and Thanksgiving and when was that, forget halloween, your answer will tell you why the blacks had to have their own separate holiday,!
I'm guessing you don't celebrate St. Patrick's day and Oktoberfest either.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:51 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Do other holidays that you do not follow make you uneasy? What is the deal, you need a good dose of 'get over it'.
The thread is about multiculturalism , quanza is the epitome of that nonsense! Again what year did they start celebrating it?

Old 06-12-2008, 10:53 AM

408 posts, read 696,158 times
Quote:
The thread is about multiculturalism , quanza is the epitome of that nonsense! Again what year did they start celebrating it?
I am not sure, I do not celebrate it. Now tell me why that matters..

Old 06-12-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I'm guessing you don't celebrate St. Patrick's day and Oktoberfest either.
Even though I am mostly German ,"Pennsylvania Dutch", and my wife is Irish, you would be correct, although one of my son's was born on st patrick's day!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:06 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You mean like Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, that sort of thing ?
But these are ALREADY multicultural celebrations....I don't know about YOU, but in addition to "Dreaming of a WHITE Christmas", (admittedly, this COULD cause concern), I also "Don myGAY Apparel"....On Easter, I honor a "Middle Eastern Guy".....On Halloween, I repair my candy sack with SCOTCH tape...and on THanksgiving, I eat TURKEY(hopefully, it hasn't been cooked in too much "Ancient Grease")....

I USED to eat Russian Tea Cakes, until I found out they were "commie food"...

PS I also have a few date palms on the property. Aren't those really "Islamic trees"? They sure seem like it to me...

Old 06-12-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I am not sure, I do not celebrate it. Now tell me why that matters..
Well mama, the reason it matters is it proves my point! Perhaps you should be concerned less about other's education and more about your own, here is just a little history lesson on the founder of the MEANINGFUL holiday kwanza! Karanga II -- A less than Complimentary View and why multiculturalism is damaging and ridiculous! The Story of Kwanzaa (http://dartreview.com/issues/1.15.01/kwanzaa.html - broken link) ,read the last paragraph!

Last edited by silas777; 06-12-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-12-2008, 11:12 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Quote:
Well mama, the reason it matters is it proves my point! Perhaps you should be concerned less about other's education and more about your own, here is just a little history lesson on the founder of the meaningful holiday kwanza! Karanga II -- A less than Complimentary View and why multiculturalism is damaging and ridiculous!
Columbus Day, in contrast, is quite wholesome.

Maybe these Anglo holidays shouldn't be celebrated either. It could damage children. Or you raise your children to think for themselves and they can learn about whatever cultures and holidays they want. Learning about something and celebrating it are two completely different things.

This thread has gotten to be unbearably ignorant.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Even though I am mostly German ,"Pennsylvania Dutch", and my wife is Irish, you would be correct, although one of my son's was born on st patrick's day!
Well, since both you and I don't celebrate St. Patrick's day, why don't we go ahead and get rid of it. Lets keep Oktoberfest though.

Seriously, both of those holidays are ethnic in origin. Although they have existed long before the era of political correctness, one could say that they are celebrated here to "appease" certain groups (I personally don't feel that way though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies