Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
That is exactly what I was trying to say . Thank you.

I can't think of any holidays that were not made up. All holidays are human constructs. No holidays in nature.
Nobody is born with an inborn biological "calendar" for holidays, White, Black, Western , Hindu, African whatever.
Kwanzaa is no more ridiculous than Christmas or Diwali.

I cannot believe someone could get so bothered by somebody else's choice of holidays. Of course it's made up.

I am truly saddened at the racism exhibited by so many people. I find it so pathetic and divisive. It is tragic that in 2008 we are still so blind sided by prejudice and racial hatred that we judge people by race or nationality.

I had hoped that we would have moved beyond silly prejudices like those by now.

I was wrong and it really does not bode well for the future.

Let's hope people's prejudices will not influence their voting too much in November.

I could not care less about the colour of his skin or his race.

Naively I believe that human beings should be judged on their individual merits and their intelligence, honesty, and probity . I would vote for a purple alien with orange spots if he was the right candidate.

The mind boggles and I remain bemused and a tad worried.
Mooseketeer, as one of my oldest and most respected "sparring partners", once again, I congratulate your intelligence and good intentions. Though we've often been far apart, in many ways we agree...your above post is an example of the fact that "common sense" is more common that it's sometimes credited with being.

I've taken the liberty of deleting just a FEW of your lines, and ironically, what's left, I absolutely agree with. Obviously, your good 'logic' is just that..'logic'. Of course, MY logic may sometimes be applied differently than yours...for example, when you say you hope voters won't be swayed by prejudice, I might (half in jest) say, "I agree...I think even crochety old White Guys who speak in a monotone should have a chance"...

But, all levity aside, every line in your above post, I agree with. Your logic is impeccable, and your concerns are well-founded. Pardon me if I'm just a natural-born 'arguer" (At the Las Vegas craps tables, my kind is known as a "Don't Pass bettor")....

Good to hear from you....

Old 06-12-2008, 11:22 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Columbus Day, in contrast, is quite wholesome.
Well of course not to the Politically Correct, again you demonstrated my point well! Christmas, "the birth of Christ", Easter,"the resurrection of Christ", Thanksgiving,"Giving thanks to GOD for our blessing's in America". All very American!, all very politically INCORRECT! The muticulture , PC crowd needed something THEY could celebrate, so some former black panther, criminal, reinvents himself into an african and invent's a holiday to help separate, black's from white"s!!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:23 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You just demonstrated my point very well, what about , Scottish, Swedish, Swiss or Irish culture's? Multiculturalism is an absurd political correctness tool, that is used to make white people accept,tolerate and "understand", ethnic people! Never the reverse!
Ever hear of St. Patty's Day? Let's see, this coming August we have the 45th annual Colorado Scottish Festival and Rocky Mountain Highland Games (this always makes the news), But what would we celebrate for Sweeden? Modern, clean-line furniture day?

So what do you have against learning African culture when a large part of our population was dragged here from Africa? When I went to school, we learned only Eurpoean history/culture, and I had to choose to learn African culture on my own in college. If white Americans don't understand African culture, it's more difficult for them to understand who they really are and what affects their culture here in the U.S.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I think we should have 52 holidays a year and cancel Monday. If we can't do that we need a 360 day year and a 5 day party. I suggest in the Fall.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Well, since both you and I don't celebrate St. Patrick's day, why don't we go ahead and get rid of it. Lets keep Oktoberfest though.

Seriously, both of those holidays are ethnic in origin. Although they have existed long before the era of political correctness, one could say that they are celebrated here to "appease" certain groups (I personally don't feel that way though).

HEY! Don't mess with the beer drinkin' holidays, ok? Cinco de Mayo, Oktoberfest, St. Patrick's day, Saturdays, etc.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Well of course not to the Politically Correct, again you demonstrated my point well! Christmas, "the birth of Christ", Easter,"the resurrection of Christ", Thanksgiving,"Giving thanks to GOD for our blessing's in America". All very American!, all very politically INCORRECT! The muticulture , PC crowd needed something THEY could celebrate, so some former black panther, criminal, reinvents himself into an african and invent's a holiday to help separate, black's from white"s!!
Oh puh-LEASE! I'm agnostic and I celebrate those holidays. Who can argue with a day off to eat, drink, and be merry? These holidays have little to do with religion for most people.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Ever hear of St. Patty's Day? Let's see, this coming August we have the 45th annual Colorado Scottish Festival and Rocky Mountain Highland Games (this always makes the news), But what would we celebrate for Sweeden? Modern, clean-line furniture day?

So what do you have against learning African culture when a large part of our population was dragged here from Africa? When I went to school, we learned only Eurpoean history/culture, and I had to choose to learn African culture on my own in college. If white Americans don't understand African culture, it's more difficult for them to understand who they really are and what affects their culture here in the U.S.
Well once again there is nothing wrong with learning about all culture's equally! That's just not what multiculturalism is about and that is my point!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregw View Post
i Think We Should Have 52 Holidays A Year And Cancel Monday. If We Can't Do That We Need A 360 Day Year And A 5 Day Party. I Suggest In The Fall.
Where do we sign up ?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Modern white kids should darn well learn multiculturalism. They will be living in a multicultural world created by the world's financiers and competing with ever culture and economy in order to make a few Monoculturalists (Mammon worshipers) wealthier and more solidly in control.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Quote:
Re-read my post. I'm not quite sure you've gathered anything from it.

I'm giving you a wonderfully American holiday which at its core, is far more dangerous and disgusting than Kwanza. And how often do we hear about Kwanza? The back-page of Anywhere, USA times relegated to a small box in the corner? If that.

BTW, did you just imply that holidays which are sweet and Christian are American? Disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies