Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:39 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,242 times

Advertisements

On the 'Describe what a liberal is to you' board we are having a good discussion that seems to come back to the topic of the ACLU.

So I would like to know - is the ACLU good or bad for America?

Do you agree with them, or are they misguided?

Let's here your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 08:31 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,538 times
I have a problem with them uprising the crosses in America. Our country was built on GOD. How can you be offended by the cross. As Jesus says you deny me I will deny you in front of my father. Idaho has had to fight for a cross that was at the top of a mountain and the majority of people fought for it. The ACLU is stepping on the toes of Christan's I can't support a group that would fight against GOD.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I have a problem with them uprising the crosses in America. Our country was built on GOD. How can you be offended by the cross. As Jesus says you deny me I will deny you in front of my father. Idaho has had to fight for a cross that was at the top of a mountain and the majority of people fought for it. The ACLU is stepping on the toes of Christan's I can't support a group that would fight against GOD.
Amen!!!!! We just need to pray for them, simple as that.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:08 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
What about our Constitution, which protects the freedom of religion? That is supposed to include people of ALL religions & beliefs, not just Christianity... now I personally couldn't care less about seeing crosses, but I support the idea behind that particular cause. It's not "anti-god", it's just protecting the freedom of those who worship differently. Keep the crosses on private property/churches/etc., and nobody will say a thing - I promise! Do you see other religious symbols posted around town? That doesn't mean other religions don't exist, it just means that we keep most of it in our places of worship.

Here's another way to think about it... since you don't like having your "toes stepped on", does that make it okay to step on others? Christianity is the majority in this country, but this doesn't excuse leaving out the minority. Black people are a minority in my state, so should we ignore their rights too?

Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What about our Constitution, which protects the freedom of religion? That is supposed to include people of ALL religions & beliefs, not just Christianity... now I personally couldn't care less about seeing crosses, but I support the idea behind that particular cause. It's not "anti-god", it's just protecting the freedom of those who worship differently. Keep the crosses on private property/churches/etc., and nobody will say a thing - I promise! Do you see other religious symbols posted around town? That doesn't mean other religions don't exist, it just means that we keep most of it in our places of worship.

Here's another way to think about it... since you don't like having your "toes stepped on", does that make it okay to step on others? Christianity is the majority in this country, but this doesn't excuse leaving out the minority. Black people are a minority in my state, so should we ignore their rights too?
A mountain is owned by no one!! They are attacking crosses on private property look around and listen. There are people who own their property's and put up crosses and because a neighbor is offended they have to take it down. I was saying I would not support a group that is trying to take GOD out of our country and if others want to exercise their own religion thats there issue. I don't believe I said anything about other religions having the right to exist. I am protecting MY CHRISTIAN rights.
What does black people have anything to do with Christianity? Even though the last I have seen many blacks are Christians also.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:31 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
A mountain is owned by no one!! They are attacking crosses on private property look around and listen. There are people who own their property's and put up crosses and because a neighbor is offended they have to take it down. I was saying I would not support a group that is trying to take GOD out of our country and if others want to exercise their own religion thats there issue. I don't believe I said anything about other religions having the right to exist. I am protecting MY CHRISTIAN rights.
What does black people have anything to do with Christianity? Even though the last I have seen many blacks are Christians also.
Being black has nothing to do with Christianity, I was trying to make a parallel, in how it's unfair to ignore the minority's rights. And like I said, there's not really a problem (in my opinion) if you keep the symbols on private property... for the most part, nobody successfully fights against that. In my mother's neighborhood there's a HUGE cross on a hill, which looms over the whole town... but it's officially on private property (site of an old church), so it has remained in place - despite a few quiet protests from some residents. Anyway, just keep them out of public space, and you won't have any complaints from me.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:36 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
I read something within the last couple of weeks that the ACLU is trying to make some school buses take a different and longer route because the current route has the buses going past a church and the ACLU says that the kids on the buses shouldn't be exposed to seeing a church on their way to/from school. I think that's pretty ridiculous and they are overstepping their bounds there.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Being black has nothing to do with Christianity, I was trying to make a parallel, in how it's unfair to ignore the minority's rights. And like I said, there's not really a problem (in my opinion) if you keep the symbols on private property... for the most part, nobody successfully fights against that. In my mother's neighborhood there's a HUGE cross on a hill, which looms over the whole town... but it's officially on private property (site of an old church), so it has remained in place - despite a few quiet protests from some residents. Anyway, just keep them out of public space, and you won't have any complaints from me.
There is a cross nearby that is easily visible from a very busy intersection. It is on the side of a grain silo. It has to be at least 20 feet tall. It has been there since I moved to this area 10 years ago, and who knows how long before that. I am told that before the area was built up the locals used to use it as a landmark when giving directions. It is on private property.

I like seeing it in the morning on my way to work. It makes me think.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I read something within the last couple of weeks that the ACLU is trying to make some school buses take a different and longer route because the current route has the buses going past a church and the ACLU says that the kids on the buses shouldn't be exposed to seeing a church on their way to/from school. I think that's pretty ridiculous and they are overstepping their bounds there.
I swear, if thats the truth, that is the most rediculous crap Id ever heard of!!!! When will those punks stop?!?!?! Dont they have anything better to do than to ruin the lives of everyone around them? Its time to take a stand against this crap. Where is William Wallace when you need him? LOL

Old 01-11-2007, 10:28 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,958,039 times
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/...actionNo==3485

Come see our Cross.. it is very pretty. Just be careful.. the area is full of el banditos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies