Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people act "their color"?
Yes - Most poeple do act thier color. 20 44.44%
No - People are not predisposed at act any way because of their color 25 55.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 AM

750 posts, read 2,277,628 times

Advertisements

I can't let this slide, I usually drink Coke but Pepsi was on sale, so I'm drinking Pepsi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,672,207 times
there is no such thing as acting black or white.

you act according to the way you were raised.

if you were raised in the country, then you act country. be you black white or purple. will you always act country...no you might move to the city and leave the straw hat at home.

if you grew up in suburbia, then you act boring and suburbanish and try to emulate other areas like the inner city.

if you grew up in the hood, then you might act hood. plenty of black and brown kids grow up in the hood and they aint acting a color, they are acting the way they were brought up.

this is not the rule tho.

to say people act a color is ridiculous.

i cant beleive so many people beleive that.

you act the way you were raised? think of military bases, they are filled with blacks, whites, browns, etc. would you say there is a color specific way to act? no, they act like if they were raised military brats.

think people. stop being sheep of the media and prejudiced beleifs.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,835,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
there is no such thing as acting black or white.

you act according to the way you were raised.

if you were raised in the country, then you act country. be you black white or purple. will you always act country...no you might move to the city and leave the straw hat at home.

if you grew up in suburbia, then you act boring and suburbanish and try to emulate other areas like the inner city.

if you grew up in the hood, then you might act hood. plenty of black and brown kids grow up in the hood and they aint acting a color, they are acting the way they were brought up.

this is not the rule tho.

to say people act a color is ridiculous.

i cant beleive so many people beleive that.

you act the way you were raised? think of military bases, they are filled with blacks, whites, browns, etc. would you say there is a color specific way to act? no, they act like if they were raised military brats.

think people. stop being sheep of the media and prejudiced beleifs.
if the people are called black thats what they are so to say no one can act a color is debateable

Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,672,207 times
ok, but being a certain color does not define the way you act. there for you cant asume that if i am black i will act the same way another black person will act. you cant generalize peoples actions based on colors. thats just ridiculous.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 PM

307 posts, read 522,365 times
Most people act according to their culture. Whether it is a cultural taboo against eating pork (Muslims, Jewish), or beef (Hindu), A cultural attitude towards saving face and conforming (common in Japan and some other Asian cultures), To a simple preference for the types of foods one grew up with. It would be ludicrous to deny that one's environment and culture does not play a part in how one behaves.

Now is that to say that everyone from culture X will only act a certain way. Of course not. But you can make predictions with accuracy better then random based upon a persons racial background.

If I selected at random 100 Asian men, 100 Black men and 100 White men and asked you to bet money on which group has more…

...More people who like classical Polka.
...More people who ate rice and fish sauce.
...More people who played basketball in college.
...More people who played pen and paper role playing games .
...More people who watch BET.
...More people who follow Buddhist teachings.

We all know where the smart money would be bet…..

Random

Old 07-16-2008, 05:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,955,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Most people act according to their culture. Whether it is a cultural taboo against eating pork (Muslims, Jewish), or beef (Hindu), A cultural attitude towards saving face and conforming (common in Japan and some other Asian cultures), To a simple preference for the types of foods one grew up with. It would be ludicrous to deny that one's environment and culture does not play a part in how one behaves.

Now is that to say that everyone from culture X will only act a certain way. Of course not. But you can make predictions with accuracy better then random based upon a persons racial background.

If I selected at random 100 Asian men, 100 Black men and 100 White men and asked you to bet money on which group has more…

...More people who like classical Polka.
...More people who ate rice and fish sauce.
...More people who played basketball in college.
...More people who played pen and paper role playing games .
...More people who watch BET.
...More people who follow Buddhist teachings.

We all know where the smart money would be bet…..

Random
Good post, but what the heck is a pen and paper role playing game? or maybe I'm not that race?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Good post, but what the heck is a pen and paper role playing game? or maybe I'm not that race?
Dungeons and Dragons is the most famous though there are many others. Call of Cthulhu, GURPS, Hero, Starwars to name a few. PnP is used to differentiate between the many computer RPGs or MORPGs.

I guess you just aren't White and Nerdy enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Zc9NyYH-k

Random

Last edited by RandomU; 07-16-2008 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 05:57 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,955,129 times
Ahh, gotcha. I am pretty white, but I guess not as nerdy as I thought

Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,900,279 times
Hey, I am black and I have played D&D before.

I guess we just messed up the status quo.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Hey, I am black and I have played D&D before.

I guess we just messed up the status quo.
I've known a half dozen Black RPG'ers. One of them, Andre, was nerdier then 99% of the White people I know and helped get me into computers. However when I go to a game convention, for every 300 gamers I'm lucky if I see 1 Black gamer. White males make up a disproportionate number of PnP RPGers.

Random
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies