Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:30 PM

271 posts, read 934,264 times

Advertisements

If a man walks into a bank unarmed and demands $20, and leaves after getting a $20 bill...that man can receive 20 years to life in federal prison...

If a man becomes a CEO of a bank, takes hundreds of millions in salary, and then drives the bank into bankrupcy...that man will get a taxpayer funded bailout to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars and absolutely no time in federal prison... Instead the man will also get a severance package in the millions to retire on some beach property, funded by taxpayer dollars.

The difference is weath and power are absolute in America. By failing in unison, the banks guaranteed a bailout of massive scale. Just imagine if the middle class taxpayers unite to do something about the financial destruction of their childrens future. Imagine if 50 million citizens refused to go to work for a week, or quit their jobs and become bums in order to stop the flow of taxes to fund such abuses of power. Imagine if the middle class actually united...and stood up for a common cause!

Something to ponder over the next few years, as federal taxes double and inflation is so high it takes $800 to fill a grocery cart. Don't kid yourself Americans, the toxic loans still exist, they have just been transferred from private banks to taxpayer funded "government trusts"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 05:36 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
my units ready is yours???

Old 09-19-2008, 06:22 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,366 times
The average joe has been getting a raw deal since Alexander Hamilton was secretary of the Treasury. Nothing knew here. You can't pay your mortgage because of an unforseen event and you lose your home. When the super rich lose money they simply get the government to bail them out and make you pay for it.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Well, first, you people gotta have the good sense to hold the politicians responsible for this economic mess we're in by voting the incumbant ones out of office, be them Republicans or Democrats. I don't think any of them so much as warned us what was coming. Your absolute refusal will give these politicians the idea that they have been right after all and in turn you'll get bad government right back in the face.

For instance, as a result of you all refusing to vote President Bush out of office in 2004, talk show host Michael Savage has just said on his show, "Welcome to the United Soviet States of America. George Bush did it."

And so if you people once again absolutely refuse to vote out the incumbants, then you might as will be given up on as good citizens of our country interested in exercising good civic responsibility. As for me, I richly look forward to practicing what I've been preaching.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:46 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
StillwaterTownie, I agree with you 100%. Dubya wasn't responsible all by himself, but he is a chief culprit. It's also 90 percent of the congress AND senate (lower caps on purpose) as well that are responsible (which you inferred).

A 9% approval rating for Congress?

And also thanks to the OP of this thread. We need to do something about this people; peacefully but something needs to be done. Republican, Democrat, it DOES NOT MATTER; they are all worthy of scrutiny.

Last edited by Synopsis; 09-19-2008 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
If a man walks into a bank unarmed and demands $20, and leaves after getting a $20 bill...that man can receive 20 years to life in federal prison...

If a man becomes a CEO of a bank, takes hundreds of millions in salary, and then drives the bank into bankrupcy...that man will get a taxpayer funded bailout to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars and absolutely no time in federal prison... Instead the man will also get a severance package in the millions to retire on some beach property, funded by taxpayer dollars.

The difference is weath and power are absolute in America. By failing in unison, the banks guaranteed a bailout of massive scale. Just imagine if the middle class taxpayers unite to do something about the financial destruction of their childrens future. Imagine if 50 million citizens refused to go to work for a week, or quit their jobs and become bums in order to stop the flow of taxes to fund such abuses of power. Imagine if the middle class actually united...and stood up for a common cause!

Something to ponder over the next few years, as federal taxes double and inflation is so high it takes $800 to fill a grocery cart. Don't kid yourself Americans, the toxic loans still exist, they have just been transferred from private banks to taxpayer funded "government trusts"...

Good thing I'm renting a farm house with lots of land soon.. I can grow my own vegetables!!!

I think I'll learn to sow too and knit..

Old 09-19-2008, 09:49 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,685,050 times
For the life of me I cannot find that the middle class pay much of the taxes in this country.
If anything the wealthy are paying our way. Sure we pay some but not very much compared to the wealthy.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:00 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
Well, first, you people gotta have the good sense to hold the politicians responsible for this economic mess we're in by voting the incumbant ones out of office, be them Republicans or Democrats. I don't think any of them so much as warned us what was coming. Your absolute refusal will give these politicians the idea that they have been right after all and in turn you'll get bad government right back in the face.

For instance, as a result of you all refusing to vote President Bush out of office in 2004, talk show host Michael Savage has just said on his show, "Welcome to the United Soviet States of America. George Bush did it."

And so if you people once again absolutely refuse to vote out the incumbants, then you might as will be given up on as good citizens of our country interested in exercising good civic responsibility. As for me, I richly look forward to practicing what I've been preaching.
Does anyone honestly believe if Kerry had been elected this would have been any different? Neither party gets any credit for the financial meltdown but both get responsibility for not doing enough if anything to prevent it.

There's enough blame to go round both sides and we better just get used to it. Not sure many people here realize just how close the financial sector came to a complete collapse. Whether or not we like the actions taken, it certainly wouldn't have been a choice otherwise.

Congress... 535 reasons to support term limits. NEVER vote for an incumbent.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Does anyone honestly believe if Kerry had been elected this would have been any different? Neither party gets any credit for the financial meltdown but both get responsibility for not doing enough if anything to prevent.

There's enough blame to go round both sides and we better just get used to it. Not sure many people here realize just how close the financial sector came to a complete collapse. Whether or not we like the actions taken, it certainly wouldn't have been a choice otherwise.

Congress... 535 reasons to support term limits. NEVER vote for an incumbent.
You are so right...this is not a partisan issue. They all screwed up the economy equally.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Sorry, the "employee", which constitutes the majority of the population, has been marginalized, politically speaking, quite some time ago in our esteemed caste system. All one has to do is look at the tax code and wrap yourself with fear while contemplating the EYE-R-SS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies