Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:24 AM

532 posts, read 908,843 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of back and forth about this candidate being Muslim, that one being too Christian, another not Christian enough...
I'm an atheist. I have no hope of ever seeing an atheist elected official, it seems. Everyone has to pay lip service to Christianity to get past square one.
Curious how other people feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
I would vote for an agnostic or athiest in a heartbeat -- assuming that I agreed with his/her ideology.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:01 AM

365 posts, read 1,253,322 times
Well, a Repub candidate certainly has to kowtow to the fundies or they won't be accepted by the evangelists of the far right wing. Sarah Palin is of course the current prime example of this. And Muslim bigots to this day are insisting on calling attention to Obama's name and refuse to believe he's Christian, as if being Christian is the least we should expect in our President.

I don't care about a politician's religion, or lack thereof. The candidate's stand on issues I consider important are what will or will not get my vote. As long as the candidate doesn't intend to propose or pass laws to reflect only his/her religious beliefs, I really don't care where or if he goes to church, synagogue, mosque, or an altar in the woods dedicated to a pagan goddess.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:18 PM

536 posts, read 2,154,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I would vote for an agnostic or athiest in a heartbeat -- assuming that I agreed with his/her ideology.
ditto.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:20 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolL View Post
Well, a Repub candidate certainly has to kowtow to the fundies or they won't be accepted by the evangelists of the far right wing. Sarah Palin is of course the current prime example of this. And Muslim bigots to this day are insisting on calling attention to Obama's name and refuse to believe he's Christian, as if being Christian is the least we should expect in our President.

I don't care about a politician's religion, or lack thereof. The candidate's stand on issues I consider important are what will or will not get my vote. As long as the candidate doesn't intend to propose or pass laws to reflect only his/her religious beliefs, I really don't care where or if he goes to church, synagogue, mosque, or an altar in the woods dedicated to a pagan goddess.
Agreed

Old 09-28-2008, 02:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
I vote for anyone who had a good grasp of what needs to be done and how to do it, doesn't pander for votes, doesn't select one group over another, and won't be corrupted by the government/business collusion... I don't care if they black, white, asian, muslim, hindu, atheist, or even if they spent 10 years working at McDonald's... As long as they have a drive to be fair and righteous...

Old 09-28-2008, 02:28 PM

532 posts, read 908,843 times
It is interesting that everyone who has posted so far agrees that they would vote for an agnostic/atheist candidate. I don't think that's indicative of the majority of the country- or am I wrong?

Old 09-28-2008, 02:29 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
I would if I agreed with the person's political ideologies and proposed policies. In the theory, the person could believe adamantly in Satan and worship him for all I care, as long as he upheld separation of church and state and didn't allow his religion to dictate his political decisions.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:33 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
It is interesting that everyone who has posted so far agrees that they would vote for an agnostic/atheist candidate. I don't think that's indicative of the majority of the country- or am I wrong?
No, it's not. I wish it was indicative, but sadly no.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:43 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
I see a lot of back and forth about this candidate being Muslim, that one being too Christian, another not Christian enough...
I'm an atheist. I have no hope of ever seeing an atheist elected official, it seems. Everyone has to pay lip service to Christianity to get past square one.
Curious how other people feel.
Unfortunately I think you're right. Like most of us, I won't speak for you, I was raised with at least some religion, went to a Catholic high school and a Catholic university, but it was always my experience that most Catholics, I know some here may disagree, but we're cynical about religion; it could have been the strict rules that were imposed on us (glad I missed the grade school thing; most of those guys/girls never see their way clear to free themselves).

If you pressed me, I'd have to come down on the side of believing in a Supreme Being. Why? Only because I choose to. It feels better. It's a question of faith anyway, a function of the heart not of the brain, so why not come down on the side of hope?

But you're point is well-made. If any presidential, could be any senatorial candidate as well, had the courage to proclaim his/her atheism or even a doubt in the existence of God, I have a hunch that would be the last we'd hear of them. The hypocrisy here is it's in our DNA, probably goes back to our beginnings as a species to clearly be able to differentiate between the real and imagined as a matter of safety.

So then why do we go through this charade. Every thinking person has doubts, but I do think that atheists are just as arrogant in their certainty the other way. We are all agnostic on some level, I believe. But when we will be able to accept this kind of honesty from a presidential candidate I'm afraid is a time that is a lot further off than I would have predicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies