Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider voting for an atheist for president?
Yes 41 70.69%
No 11 18.97%
Not sure 6 10.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
While more than nine in 10 Americans would vote for a presidential candidate who is black, a woman, Catholic, Hispanic, or Jewish, significantly smaller percentages would vote for one who is an atheist (54%) or Muslim (58%). Americans' willingness to vote for a Mormon (80%) or gay or lesbian (68%) candidate falls between these two extremes.
Atheists, Muslims See Most Bias as Presidential Candidates

Interesting to see the dramatic changes over the years.

In 1937, only 33% of Americans would consider voting for a woman for president; today, 95% would.

In 1958, only 38% would vote for a black person; today, 96% would.

In 1978, only 26% would vote for a gay person; today, 68% would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 10:25 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,728 times
Quote:
Interesting to see the dramatic changes over the years.

In 1937, only 33% of Americans would consider voting for a woman for president; today, 95% would.

In 1958, only 38% would vote for a black person; today, 96% would.

In 1978, only 26% would vote for a gay person; today, 68% would.
It is interesting to see how things have changed. They didn't even include Blacks (or atheists or gay and lesbians) in their initial polling in 1937. Remember the fuss over JFK being Catholic?

IMO, it looks like the majority of people are looking more at what the candidates offer now, and not so much at the personal factors. Either that or a lot of people are lying!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:33 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Who wants a person in office who will one day stand up and say- There is no god- there is no god but me- I AM GOD. This is the final declaration of all atheists...I'm not ready to be ruled by a small g god....I avoid giving myself the title of God...That is just ground that you do not tread on..That has been rule since the advent of mankind....This law has sustained mankind and kept some sort of order for a million years- Last thing we need is a person who has the non-religion of atheist as President....That would be like taking the mythical Satan and giving him the big chair----------------sorry- not on my watch.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
I would not consider an atheist for POTUS

Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Who wants a person in office who will one day stand up and say- There is no god- there is no god but me- I AM GOD. This is the final declaration of all atheists...I'm not ready to be ruled by a small g god....I avoid giving myself the title of God...That is just ground that you do not tread on..That has been rule since the advent of mankind....This law has sustained mankind and kept some sort of order for a million years- Last thing we need is a person who has the non-religion of atheist as President....That would be like taking the mythical Satan and giving him the big chair----------------sorry- not on my watch.
That fantasy is downright hilarious.

AMERICANS have forgotten their own revolution already and what it was about....Do I need to remind you that when AMERICAN revolutionary forces were in full charge and going into battle - some ready to lose their lives for freedom - had a war cry....that war cry was against dictatorship through a monarchy....The war cry was never to submit to an earthly king......the war cry was NO KING BUT JESUS

Are you ready to have the war lord prophet Mohamed push Jesus off the American throne...and have Mohamed sit where Christ sat- the Christ that built the empire- are you ready to surrender all you fought for?

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Americans would rather vote for a Muslim for president than an atheist

Where's the "Where do you get this malarkey?" button?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
I would vote for a Muslim as long the individual was the best candidate and i could be convinced that they would not compromise our national security.

Any one who would reject the Supreme Being of the universe - probally would not get my vote - and realistically - no atheist would seriously run for president because they know that they would have zero chance of being elected. The American people value spiritual things - an atheist as president would make most voters very uncomfortable. I can deal with a Muslim - at least I know that they acknowledge Allah(God).

Allahu Akbar! Asalaam alaikum.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That fantasy is downright hilarious.

Is your fantasy superior to mine? My dear friend....you will never rule...not in a million years...and the fact that you and your religion of atheism will ever prevail...is hilarious...My grandfather was asked one question before the atheists shot him back in old Russian..."Do you believe in God?" He refused to be ruled by a mere mortal...and he gave up his life rather than submit to an atheist....I just don't like any ideology that has murdered a family member- It may be closing on a hundred years but I don't forget or forgive.....Try another planet. Get off mine.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Is your fantasy superior to mine? My dear friend....you will never rule...not in a million years...and the fact that you and your religion of atheism will ever prevail...is hilarious...My grandfather was asked one question before the atheists shot him back in old Russian..."Do you believe in God?" He refused to be ruled by a mere mortal...and he gave up his life rather than submit to an atheist....I just don't like any ideology that has murdered a family member- It may be closing on a hundred years but I don't forget or forgive.....Try another planet. Get off mine.
Hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies