Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:30 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
It is simply surreal to be talking about not being able to afford a 10 Million dollar this or a 5 Million dollar that or a 1 Billion dollar this when a few dozen people sit on a Trillion dollars and say "let them eat cake".

H
Let me give it to you in numbers. 10 years @ approx. 10-15 billion dollars PER YEAR is a budget DEFICIT, that means that the money is being borrowed or pushed into next years budget. Go to the California forum and read how many people are complaining that they can hardly make it.... and that's WITH generous government imposed subsidies like rent control. If a state is having trouble paying for the basics which are, btw, substandard compared to compared to our more moderate/conservative counterparts then why take on more social programs? That may make total sense from a liberals standpoint but certainly not mine. Fix the problems we have and deal with social programs when there's actually money to pay for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 03:34 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
As a native, why do people outside Cali think Cali is liberal? I can see LA and the bay area.. but Orange county, San Diego county, the Central Valley, the Sierras, Northern Cali (past Sac to the OR line).. these aren't liberal strongholds and they are the chunk of the state geographically..

Old 10-03-2008, 03:36 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Sacramento Real Estate Statistics: California Needs A Bailout Too

Swartzenegger seeking $7Billion from the bailout.. Will it ever end, and can I request $1Billion so I can expand my business to compete against the big boys?
I say we cut off California and let it sink into the ocean. Its a win win for all. We get rid of a worthless state and all of the states connected to it get ocean front property. (sorry, I couldn't help myself and yes... I lived there most of my life before I moved).

Old 10-03-2008, 03:41 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
i say come on down mr. schwartzenegger the bailout line is just forming on the hill. you are welcome to the money as they are passing it out like candy. the reason that the outrage on this forum is not as evident is that people are outraged on other forums, mainly the local newspapers.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:11 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Red states take more in government funding than they pay in taxes. It's opposite for blue states....
Yes, a lot of it is all those ethanol subsidies to the farm states, look at the poll numbers, all those states are RED. Bush and Rove did a massive increase in farm spending in 2001 to buy the 2002 mid-term and 2004 national election, and it worked. But the industrial states like CA, PA, OH, MI, NY, etc are bleeding money each year to buy the farm vote for the GOP. Only Iowa shows any sense and is voting for Obama this year, though a few more may get closer before Nov 4.

We had a similar in-state situation in VA, with the highly populated, well-educated, urban areas of Northern VA (near DC) have always sent a ton of money to Richmond, who spend the preponderance on the down-state counties. The downstate area had great roads while we had crap roads in Northern VA, which is one of the reasons we took our money and went to CO in 2005.

Its time we saw ethanol and farm subsidies for what they are, corporate and farm town welfare plans that we cannot afford anymore than we can afford to have inner city and rural people sit around and collect welfare checks.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:27 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Let me give it to you in numbers. 10 years @ approx. 10-15 billion dollars PER YEAR is a budget DEFICIT, that means that the money is being borrowed or pushed into next years budget. Go to the California forum and read how many people are complaining that they can hardly make it.... and that's WITH generous government imposed subsidies like rent control. If a state is having trouble paying for the basics which are, btw, substandard compared to compared to our more moderate/conservative counterparts then why take on more social programs? That may make total sense from a liberals standpoint but certainly not mine. Fix the problems we have and deal with social programs when there's actually money to pay for them.
Can you point out where California is substandard compared to other states? Those social programs you wail about are also helping you. What other states has such strong consumers protections [ie. labor courts\ unions\ employee leaves of absences with pay\ free meals before school\ after-school for children of working parents, etc]. BTW, if you haven't noticed practically every social program initiative is passed by the voters each year. We have a say in our state government & Californians vote for these program.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:22 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
As a native, why do people outside Cali think Cali is liberal? I can see LA and the bay area.. but Orange county, San Diego county, the Central Valley, the Sierras, Northern Cali (past Sac to the OR line).. these aren't liberal strongholds and they are the chunk of the state geographically..
Oh comon minibrings, I lived in northern cali most of my life. No, not SF, the real northern California (75 miles north of Sacramento) and while we were very conservative for quite a while compared to the rest of the state, over time all the worthless garbage moved into those conservative regions and tainted it with their wacko ways.

While there may be "conservative" people in california, you are no longer respresented as such. Even the "conservative" politicians in California are just another "flavor" of liberal. The state is lost, I suggest (if you can), let it go, move on and let their "liberal" ways sink them into the insanity they so desire. It will catch up to them as it has already been doing and even the income of elite hollywood won't be able to save them.

Watch as that state slowly sinks itself as even the liberal idiots run away (even hollywood as it begins to base itself elsewhere) because they haven't the sense to realize the problems they have are from their own stupid decisions. The place is nothing but a loss state and time will show this to be true.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I hate to think of what Illegals alone cost the state of California...
You don't even want to know, and if you're going to insist, make sure you have barf bags and sedatives handy.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 PM

15 posts, read 21,693 times
Coming from a native and former long time business owner in Southern CA. 40%-50% overspending easily in the past 5 years alone. As with the fiscal irresponsibility of this country-SOS in CA. Nothing new. It isn't the lack of incoming revenue, it's the out of control spending-which makes Ca's argument for yet MORE money increasingly hideous. Calif is one of if not the highest revenue producing state in the country. Over taxed, over regulated and the reason why so many businesses continuing getting the hell out of dodge here. Unless you expand or relocate in an Enterprise Zone or CRA Project area in certain areas of L.A, there is little business incentive elsewhere that I know of. In some areas of L.A., a business person has access and benefits to great tax breaks, loans and other incentives. California loves taxing the crap out of you, they just hate business... you know, those rotton bastards who employ people at a REALLY great wage like I did? If I were to have counted and saved all the auction notices from small to large business in the past 25 years, I would have enough to fill a large yard refuse barrel. That's ALOT of revenue gone and alot of jobs lost. Take a look at the true accurate numbers what the illegals cost this state and it's almost too much to fathom. Teachers threatening a strike for increased pay- well for cripes sakes, tell the Gov to GO ON A FINANCIAL DIET and STOP supporting all the bloated, irrational spending and programs including schooling, housing and footing the bill on illegals that don't belong here! Only people who KNOW the over spending in this state could appreciate the revenue saved were this state to be managed properly. This ain't rocket science. It's really quite simple! It's what you and I as American taxpayers are expected to conduct ourselves day in and day out. Yet our governments can't and will not change their ways. I donated more time and money to commercial area projects to benefit more neighborhoods and people than you could shake a stick at.... did this for years.

While Arnold isn't a bad guy, he's forever been incapable of standing firm on conservative fiscal issues, instead appeasing the whims of the state. As long as the current idealogical cast of characters rule the roost, no substantial incentive for business to be here, all you'll see are alot of chicken droppings and continued out of control spending. This is what happens when the state pisses off and let's down 60 year old sources of revenue like mine. We simply flip you the bird and take our businesses elsewhere. I wish it weren't this way, but it is. So CA pleading for 7 billion doesn't phase me in the least.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
okay? if he's liberal, why is it that most CD posters and/or people in general fail to make the distinction between political ideologies like liberal and conservative vs democrat and republican?

the fact is when theres alot of threads on here created about liberals there talking about democrats not both parties
You'll find that I for one, rarely blame "Democrats" vs "Republicans".. I think Bush should have been a Democratic considering the way he's managed the budget and economy over the last two years... Democrats of course dont want to hear that Bush is liberal, but I can list numerous programs like the pescription drug plan for starters, to show that he's very much a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies