Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:12 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,043,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
I want to be a liberal!
I am ready to sit down, relax and collect money from the rich and whoever wants to bail me out.
Then you should go to Wall Street and hold out your hand like all those other capitalist liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
Maybe you weren't paying attention when you wrote the title of the thread

"Yet another liberal area looking for a handout"

This was just another veiled attempt to say liberals are the ones looking for handouts.
Liberal AREA.. is NASCAR a liberal area? Wait, I dont think so.. nice try though..

Old 10-03-2008, 11:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You are so pathetic. People laugh at you, you know.
I can see how pointing out that Califonia is liberal, and requesting a $7B handout would be pathetic to those that like the idea of "give me some" mentality..

Old 10-03-2008, 11:39 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
Arnold is a Republican who is socially liberal... not necessarily fiscally liberal. He's faced with a Democrat dominated legislative branch and liberal voters who almost always squash any fiscal or business friendly initiative that he puts forth (he's not a big fan of unions). The financial turmoil in California is what happens when there are too many liberal Democrats in control... and too many liberal voters who refuse to see the error of their ways - and they certainly demand a handout to anyone who has anything (businesses, landlords, upper-middle class/rich). California w/ it's higher than the national average unemployment rate, a decades long budget deficit, and hostile business environment is looking to the federal government to help us out of a hole they WE dug ourselves. I live in California, I love it here, although I'm a moderate, but the political environment here has been running on the hard left side for way too long. This is a liberal state, with liberal ideologies, where expensive social programs pass with flying colors (that we clearly can't afford)... so, "liberals asking for a handout" is absolutely an appropriate assessment.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:43 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The Govenor of Ca couldnt be more liberal unless his last name was Gore.. Are you denying that Ca is liberal?
but managed to get conservative gov

Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Arnold is a Republican who is socially liberal
okay? if he's liberal, why is it that most CD posters and/or people in general fail to make the distinction between political ideologies like liberal and conservative vs democrat and republican?

the fact is when theres alot of threads on here created about liberals there talking about democrats not both parties

Old 10-03-2008, 11:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
This is a liberal state, with liberal ideologies, where expensive social programs pass with flying colors (that we clearly can't afford)...
Why can't you [California] afford them? Why can't ANY state in this country afford anything it wants for the betterment of its citizen's? If you have so much as one multi-billionaire registered as a legal citizen of that entity known as your home town and he or she can live with themselves knowing that every minute they make enough money to allow several families of four to live comfortably for a year, then you may understand why once long ago the Proletariat in France revolted and set up guillotines and cut off the heads of a number of French nobility. Its worse now than then. Distribution of wealth inequalities that would stagger the most broadminded of people flourish in the 21st Century. It is simply surreal to be talking about not being able to afford a 10 Million dollar this or a 5 Million dollar that or a 1 Billion dollar this when a few dozen people sit on a Trillion dollars and say "let them eat cake".

H

Old 10-03-2008, 12:55 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Nice to see that the blogger completely ignored states like New Mexico, a blue state, #1 receipiant of funds from DC, and has been since at least 1980..
The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxes Paid vs. Federal Spending Received by State, 1981-2005
Scroll to New Mexico..
New Mexico is not a "Blue State". New Mexico has only supported a Democrat twice since 1972. (It was Clinton both times. I guess they dig the saxophone.)

Furthermore, you mentioned New York as a state that gets more in funding than it pays? According to YOUR LINK, it receives 79 cents for every dollar it pays. It's #42 on the list of recipients.

The top ten in receipts?

1) NM
2) MS
3) AK
4) LA
5) WV
6) ND
7) AL
8) SD
9) KY
10) VA

That's a pretty Red list...

Old 10-03-2008, 02:05 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
I think Schwarzenegger's request was already implied in the massive bail-out due to the huge economy in California. One of the strongest revenue bases in the U.S. requires an infusion of loans. As goes California so goes the nation.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:26 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
The Governator is a liberal? That's rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies